Cad. Tail Install

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Nice work Larry,your gettin to be a real pic master as well =D> thanks for the update.

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

cadtails

Post by Rebel »

Thanks Keith. Sure don't want to do another set of these. Fill the slider and this van is finished and will try not to run around in the slutty primer to long like some we know of. lol
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Larry, I guess this means you're not thinking about the deal I proposed. O:)

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

cadtails

Post by Rebel »

Thought I had anwered you on this one but will give it another try.
After long consideration, I've decided that if you bring the rack and install it on my van, I'll do your tails. Now What ??? :whistle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Larry, I'm not really into the tail light thing. But I'd love to come up and help with the rack install. Just let me know when.
Skip

Topic author
Rebel

Re: Cad. Tail Install

Post by Rebel »

Skip, thought I'd post the measurements you wanted here in case anyone else got into this mod.

Here are three pics I took this afternoon showing the depth of the buckets.
The first pic shows the outside surface of the bucket on the left tail light.

This is 2in. from front edge to back edge of bucket measuring from the middle of bucket.
The inside edge is 2.5 in. The difference in the two is caused by the body curve and having to twist bucket so bezel and light will be the correct angle, (right to left) If bucket was not turned the light would not be pointing directly to the rear but to an angle.
Here are a couple of other pics that may help.

This pic is after I thought I had enough metal cut out to allow bucket to sit deep enough.

Next is after cutting what was needed to go in far enough and also shows how much had to be cut off the front edge of busket to be flush with filler.

Here's another one that may give you an idea of how much rear metal has to be removed to allow bucket to go in far enough that the chrome bezel is deeper than front edge of bucket.

This next pic gives you an idea of how deep the chrome bezel and lens are.

If you look close enough you can see the depth of the bezel on the left edge.

That's it,,any other questions just let me know and I'll try to help.

VIDEO

kc5gxl
I get chills without my van.

Post by kc5gxl »

Hello Rebel and Socalli;

I am thinking about doing the Cad tail light mod on my 91 Safari. Where did you guys get teh fillers and buckets. I already have the light assemblies.

Great pic story guys. Thanks for all the photos of the mod.

Drive safe,

Dan Harriman 91 Safari V8 shortie
Orange, Texas
If at first you don't succeed, maybe you shouldn't try sky diving!

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Dan, the fillers I bought were from FBI but made by Grant. Not sure why, but they were cheaper through FBI.
If I remember, FBI doesn't show them in their parts list but you can contact Victor at victor@fbirides.com and he can help you. Tell him I sent you,,the guy with the Vette rear in an Astro,,not sure he's over that yet.lol
Good luck

VIDEO

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I got my buckets from Sir Micheals, do a google search or check the street truck mags. I made my fillers, but it is not easy.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

kc5gxl
I get chills without my van.

Post by kc5gxl »

Hello all;

Well I checked with Victor at FBI, and they don't carry fillers for 'stros anymore. He sent me to Grants, but holy mackeral, they want $128.00 for them! Their other fillers are about 40 - 50 bux. I searched the web, and I found that no one carries them, so I guess my caddy taillight swap is on the back burner, at least for a while.

I am wondering if some of the s-10 fillers might work. What do you all think?

Drive safe,

Dan Harriman 91 Safari shortie V8
Orange, Texas
If at first you don't succeed, maybe you shouldn't try sky diving!

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

That's to bad that they don't carry them any longer. I know Grant was making them for FBI at the time I bought mine. Seems Grant doesn't have them in stock and only one guy to hand make them and was a 2 week wait. FBI was selling the Grants for around 98 bucks I think it was.
Of course Darren made his so guess he was able to use an English Wheel somewhere. Would be very difficult to make, so many curves. Think about this,,the Grants are actually made in two pieces and welded together in the curve and you're going to cut out most of the center section of filler to make room for bucket.

VIDEO

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

man that is so cool. learning to weld and do sheet metal work is on my list of things to do before I die.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Looks good!
Glad to see your done larry =D>
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Looks good!
Glad to see your done larry
The Cad. tails will be gone shortly. Nothing like change after all that work. Will be filling light area for smoother look with 10in. LED light strips on each end of rollpan.
I know,,lot of work just throw down the tubes but I did it and decided it just needed to be different.

VIDEO

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Rebel wrote:The Cad. tails will be gone shortly. Nothing like change after all that work. Will be filling light area for smoother look with 10in. LED light strips on each end of rollpan.
I know,,lot of work just throw down the tubes but I did it and decided it just needed to be different.
Really? I leave for a few months, and you decide to ruin this great outcome! :cry:

Oh well, looking forward to the new setup!
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3