What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Mobile tool box. Went to the warehouse at my wife's work and removed a severely worn CV based front drive shaft from her Jeep. Looking into replacing the bad side with a U-joint from a TJ.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

drove the 92 to the store to get gas for the lawn mower.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Drove to work. Drove home. Drove to the bike park for a ride. Drove home.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i've been putting off checking the front end on the 93. i was dropping off a part at a local franchised shop yesterday and mentioned it to them (we get along very well). they said pull it in and we'll have a look (free inspection) yay! being that it's cold and raining here, it was a true bonus.

turns out idler, pitman, balljoints are all GOOD!! left tierod has minimal play and right side is about to fall apart. this would be causing my slight shaake under braking at low speed. going to bring one home from work today and change it sunday or monday. also going to try and install the caprice wheels/snows on the 93 while at work today
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

AstrSafariFamily
I am merely driving my van

Post by AstrSafariFamily »

Added carbon fiber taillights, Set the timing after adding the Edelbrock multipoint EFI system to the 350 to replace the old TBI unit. and replaced the tires

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

AstrSafariFamily wrote:Added carbon fiber taillights, Set the timing after adding the Edelbrock multipoint EFI system to the 350 to replace the old TBI unit. and replaced the tires
Pix please. Thanks, Jim

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Yeah, lets see some photos and some text about that Edelbrock injection system!
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

AstrSafariFamily

Post by AstrSafariFamily »

working on getting the pics will put them on as soon as I figure out how

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Green: Found the source of the coolant leak, driver's side water pump gasket. Currently have it pulled apart, couldn't find my RTV to put it back together today. Looking around since I have a big open space right now, thinking you know this would be a good time to fix the leaking oil cooler lines, to install the new larger trans cooler, and since the coolant system is drained I should install a block heater.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

ihatemybike wrote:Green: Found the source of the coolant leak, driver's side water pump gasket. Currently have it pulled apart, couldn't find my RTV to put it back together today. Looking around since I have a big open space right now, thinking you know this would be a good time to fix the leaking oil cooler lines, to install the new larger trans cooler, and since the coolant system is drained I should install a block heater.
And the list goes on. Jim

Philly758
I get chills without my van.

Post by Philly758 »

Brought the van in for an oil change... Decided oil changes are too expensive no matter how sick and lazy you are.

Talked to a friend who owns a bike shop and ordered a Thule 326 Awning for an unreal price... Hopefully I will have it before the end of the month, but I probably won't install it before winter.

Check it out:
2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

emptied out some carpet cleaning equipment and picked up my replacement rear (dutch) doors..... same color as my 98 safari, off a 98 Astro, only difference.... not rusty like mine and has a silver and red stripe..... (I might, TRY to paint a stripe on the rest of the van to match.....)
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

Philly758 wrote:Talked to a friend who owns a bike shop and ordered a Thule 326 Awning for an unreal price... Hopefully I will have it before the end of the month, but I probably won't install it before winter.
sure looks nice.... but pretty pricey from what I could see... wasn't sure by looking at the info on it... but is the $700+ :yikes: for just the awning [-o< or rack system with awning... (I have heard that anything really worth having is worth paying for, but...... sometimes it's just hard to pay for accessories.... even if they are really cool and handy)
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

replacement doors are out of my van, now to reload cleaning equipment and go make some more money.... then figure out when and how to change the doors.... I've seen that the hatch bolts in from the inside, but getting the pins out of the hinges...? not sure yet.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Got a warning ticket for my rear passenger brake / signal light (it was out) and it was only 12-15 minutes into my drive that the officer showed up. Anyways got that change... why is it that I remember the bulb as a 1057 but my owners' manual lists as 2057?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"