Quest for the ultimate kayak/mountain bike shuttle rig

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Quest for the ultimate kayak/mountain bike shuttle rig

Post by phr1$k37 »

LOL I guess us Canadian dudes got the first glimpse woot! Looking good Tom. Cant wait for some posts with photos for the places you go to. But to be honest I am quite guilty for not posting either. Most of the time I am too caught up in the driving and then enjoying the moment that I dont think to snap a few photos. ;p
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

snapple wrote:Great pics T.Low! :supz:
I load my kayak on to a Yakima setup.Its a 2 seater at around 65#.
How you like loading up your boats way up there after your lift?!
I had Dean(LiftedAWDAstro),build me a modified version of his rock rails,kind of like nerf bars.Gives me something to stand on ,and mine's not even lifted yet!I also have a Yakima boatloader that helps,but when I'm wore out from paddling it can be a struggle sometimes. :-({|=
Anyways again,great looking ride! :partyman:
Can't wait for spring to start work on MY van!I've been buying up parts all winter,so I,ve got lots of work ahead! =P~
Peace, Bill

Yeah, the loading is more challenging with the lift. Its about a foot higher than with my Dakota 4x4. I am trying to find some black tubular nerf bars but will have to custom fab some mounting. My local guy is working pretty well with me so far.

midnighthunder89 wrote:Love the van. do i wish i had those bikes to put in mine. Would not mind the kayaks either. Great job
I would like to load the bikes the way you do, except for the fact that the downhill axles are not quick release, and the disc brake situation (don't accidently squeeze the brake lever while there is no rotor in the calipers!) but I wan the seating for four so they get mounted outside. Thanks for the props.
ihatemybike wrote:That thing rocks!
phr1$k37 wrote:

LOL I guess us Canadian dudes got the first glimpse woot! Looking good Tom. Cant wait for some posts with photos for the places you go to. But to be honest I am quite guilty for not posting either. Most of the time I am too caught up in the driving and then enjoying the moment that I dont think to snap a few photos. ;p
Thanks guys. Yeah back in the '80's and '90's I was all about the photo opp, anything to get the shot. Then I started to leave the camera behind and just live the experience. Now its time to get a new camera and wuit mooching the Fiancee's camera.

Cheers.
Last edited by T.Low on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by midnighthunder89 »

T.Low wrote: I would like to load the bikes the way you do, except for the fact that the downhill axles are not quick release, and the disc brake situation (don't accidently squeeze the brake lever while there is no rotor in the calipers!) but I wan the seating for four so they get mounted outside. Thanks for the props.
I usually put a spacer in there just incase i do hit the lever but i am usually very careful about that. The downhill axel could be a problem but I am sure that could easily be overcome just would take a little more time than it takes me. I seat four in mine have to angle the backs of the bikes to fit them. Is that you in the video. Looks like lots of fun. Still great job with van.
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

No, I'm not in the vid. Its just some local guys that we all kinda know. Its one of my favorite trails though (the video is basically just one trail with a couple different sections to it).

Can't wait to take my van up to Whistler (2.5 hr drive or so) to ride and paddle all weekend, while camping outta the van.
ImageImageImageImage

midnighthunder89

errr I would love to go up there. sure it is alot more then 2.5 hours for me but that would be amazing.
99 sle awd safari

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

T.Low wrote:No, I'm not in the vid. Its just some local guys that we all kinda know. Its one of my favorite trails though (the video is basically just one trail with a couple different sections to it).

Can't wait to take my van up to Whistler (2.5 hr drive or so) to ride and paddle all weekend, while camping outta the van.

What the ... when are you coming up again!?!?!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

phr1$k37 wrote:
T.Low wrote:No, I'm not in the vid. Its just some local guys that we all kinda know. Its one of my favorite trails though (the video is basically just one trail with a couple different sections to it).

What the ... when are you coming up again!?!?!

I won't be going to Whistler anytime soon, oddly enough there is still some snow on the mountain bike runs. Hmm. Friends want me to drive us all up to the Chiliwack for the Canadian Team trials (white water slalom) on the weekend of the 23. I'll probably go unless I find a good driving route for an over nighter somwhere, maybe on Vancouver Island, or the Olympics. ? Decisions, decisions.

Hey Thunder, fly out to seattle and we'll take my van to Whistler. Rent a DH bike there with armour. I used to scrimmage against Brother Rice all the time in basketball. Went to Walled Lake Central then moved to Clarkston.
ImageImageImageImage

midnighthunder89

I have this thing called school that is keeping all my money right now one day I will get out there though.
99 sle awd safari

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

midnighthunder89 wrote:I have this thing called school that is keeping all my money right now one day I will get out there though.

Yeah, good point. The shores of Lake Superior are incredible. No sense spending dough to go somewhere else while you are living there.
ImageImageImageImage

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

[quote="snapple"]Great pics T.Low! :supz:

I stand on my cooler to tie my boats on....
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

When you say 23rd you mean next week!? Wowzers! You are gonna get a lot of rain dude!!! Whistler is a blast to be at and around - it becomes dull to some folks but if you like the outdoors it never will dull because there is a lot to do / see.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

WVKayaker wrote:
snapple wrote:Great pics T.Low! :supz:

I stand on my cooler to tie my boats on....
You should build a flip down rack. Like the ones you can buy for Astro/Safaris for ladders. You hit the release and the side flips down on gas shocks so you can reach your ladder at shoulder height. When done put the ladder back on and push the handle up so it folds back up ontop of the van.

I'm sure you could build something like that for kayaks/canoes.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

potskie wrote: You should build a flip down rack. Like the ones you can buy for Astro/Safaris for ladders. You hit the release and the side flips down on gas shocks so you can reach your ladder at shoulder height. When done put the ladder back on and push the handle up so it folds back up ontop of the van.

I'm sure you could build something like that for kayaks/canoes.
Yeah,Thule makes something similar to what your talking about.Seem to take up alot of space.I also put a cargo carrier up top for the family vacations,so space is at a premium.This year,I'll also have 5 bikes hanging off the back hitch! :rolleyes:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

midnighthunder89

I just traded my bass guitar for a cheap kayak so I want to figure out how to transport it. do you have pictures of how you put yours up there. I am thinking about making one. or build something for inside. any ideas. the kayak is 12 ft.
99 sle awd safari

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

midnighthunder89 wrote:I just traded my bass guitar for a cheap kayak so I want to figure out how to transport it. do you have pictures of how you put yours up there. I am thinking about making one. or build something for inside. any ideas. the kayak is 12 ft.

I'll post roof top pics of my set up. A few basic ideas and then each system is slightly customized depending on the rig and the boat.

Do you have factory racks? Your in college so you are looking for a secure budget system, yes?

And BTW, my buddy Matt Butcher plays hockey for NMU in Marquette, not Houghton, sorry.

In the mean time, post a pic of your kayak, so I can getter an idea of dimensions, deck, hull, ends, etc.
ImageImageImageImage