idle rough

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: idle rough

Post by 92astro »

did you change out the coolant temp-. sensor that is by the thermostat/front of intake manifold? on my 1992 van there is two coolant temp. sensor one for the computer and one for the gauge. the computer one is the 2 terminal one it is by the thermostat and the one for the gauge is in the drivers side head it is 1 terminal. the one i am gonna change is the one by the thermostat.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

to be honest i never even saw the one by the thermostat only the single lead one on the driver side head and the hayne manual never said anything about a second one....
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

yeah there is two sensors the one you are talking about is called the coolant temp. switch which is for your gauge that is why it did not change your idle. so the computer sensor has 2 terminal and screws into the intake manifold the lower intake manifold on yous.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

well i'm going to leave it alone untill i find the damn vacuum leak since it seems to be reading correctly the lines i was checking out yesterday were pretty cracked i was afraid they would fall apart in my hands
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

Clamster
I am merely driving my van

Post by Clamster »

Cobra, Just change the CTS already and be done with the rough idle deal. You can use rubber vacuum hose to splice into whats left of the hard black plastic vacuum lines.
90 Astro CL Work Buggy

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

CTS feeds the computer and the computer will send that info trough the obd port right? well it reads right on at 188 no coolant movin', at 193 coolant flowing then temp drops back down to 188 coolant flow slows.

i think i have a vacuum gauge at my house somewhere just have to find it somewhere
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

has anyone replaced the coolant temp. sensor for the computer which is located by the thermostat housing? this is on my 1992 astro 2 wd TBI vin:z if yes do you have pics? please!!

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

yes, but no pics, sorry.
seems to me I had to pull the upper radiator hose to get to it. I can't remember if I used a deep socket with an extension or gummed at it with a wrench, but I got it out and back in without any special tools.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

GaryDee

Post by GaryDee »

Hi - New here, but found your site looking for solutions for my 2005 Astro (searched thread). Kind of the same issues you stated on this thread (mine is explained below).

Question - I believe you guys are working on 87 and 93's ??? I know that mine is NOT TBI, but I wounder if some of your trouble shooting would apply. Any idea if the 2005's had two thermostates (gauge and engine)?
2005 Chevy Astor Van - 147K (got it with 120K and runs the same)

* Plugs, wires and after-cat CO2 sensors have been changed with no difference.
* Idles very ruff, like you can feel each cylinder firing, uniformly – not really “skippy” (almost shakes the steering wheel), except when cold.
* Warms to low idle.
* Starts on first click, seem to run "ok" down the road, but it's not smooth (still feel each cylinder firing)
* Inside the exhaust pipe is black
* If you rev-it up, let the RMP's drop, then rev-it again, you get a big puff of black smoke.
* Best MPV is around 15 combined hwy / city.

The fuel injection is NOT throttle body on this year and I can't find a Chilton’s that covers the 2005's. Any ideas??? – Thanks - GaryDee

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Welcome to the Board Gary!
Not two thermostats, but two temperature sensors yes.
based on the description, I think your air fuel mix is running rich.
Rather than getting lost in this epic thread, what I suggest is starting a new topic, post your model year and a description of the symptoms. Bryan and I have much older year models than your do. The fuel injection systems are much different. There's a lot of very knowledgable guys here that can offer advice.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

GaryDee

Post by GaryDee »

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I meant to say "two sensors".

I will take your advice and start a new topic.

Thanks a bunch!

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i'm working on a 98 in this thread but my problem is different from yours. you sound like what happened to my old mans 95 van replacing O2 sensors fixed the problem according to our mechanic
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay i replaced my coolant temp. sensor for the computer it did not fix my rough/low idle when warmed up. so my next step is to replace my map sensor.??

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Maybe. did you unhook the battery and clear the ecm to get it reset and "re-learn" the sensor data coming in? might give it a try...

name's Steve

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

how long should i disconnect the batt. for?? and when i open my air cleaner lid to check my air filter it smells like raw gas. and i did replace my air filter with a k n N air filter.