Transmission Cooler

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Rvamobiledetailing
I get chills without my van.

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by Rvamobiledetailing »

Yeah i hope to still do it soon. I will (hopefully) be putting the cooler to the test very soon when i pickup my next project car(92 eclipse gsx) and will be towing it about 25 miles.With the trailer will weigh in right at 5200 lbs,should be intresting to see how high temps get since i have 3.23 (boo)

wkastro

Post by wkastro »

For my AWD 2003 Astro, I think I will go with a Tru-Cool LPD4590 kit. I have a ScanGaugeII, which gets the trans temp from the OBDII serial data. Seems to work fine, but I don't know where in the fluid stream the temperature is measured. Without a trailer load, the temperature reads 175F when warmed up in a 70F or 75F ambient, comparable with members on this topic. I think I'll put the cooler in series with the OEM radiator heat exchanger, and I haven't decided before or after.
2003 Astro AWD bought in January 2009
103,000 miles, Trucool 4590, ScanGageII, Michelin LTX 215/70R16, Tekonsha P3

2009 Chevrolet HHR
2001 HD XL1200S
1970 Austin Cooper 'S'

Retired:
1994 Astro AWD (sold in 1996, 50,000 miles in 2 years)
1992 Astro RWD (bought from GM fleet, traded for AWD in 1994)

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Great update pictures.... =D> Like I said before > fit the largest " HD stacked plate design tranny cooler, normally fitted to a full size motorhome". 12 X 12 stacked is great for our vans. Because our trannies HATE HEAT !
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

wkastro

Post by wkastro »

Thanks to my friend's generosity, and his heated garage and lift, the TruCool went in last Saturday, in series with, and after, the stock loop-in-the-radiator. We pulled the bumper bar, and used straight straps top-to-bottom. The hose routing is snug with the air intake snorkel, but it's not too bad. Since I was getting P0128 codes, I replaced the thermostat, too. Through ScanGaugeII, the engine temp is now 190-195 deg F, 15 degrees higher than before. On the freeway, in 30 degree F air, the trans temp was 105 deg F; before it was running 100 deg F above ambient, no load, at 70 mph. Topping off the trans through the dipstick tube is a PITA, since I couldn't get a good reading until the tube fully drained, which takes a long time in cold weather. Now I think we're ready to pull a trailer (U-Haul 6x12 enclosed) if we need to, 500 miles from the Finger Lakes to SE Michigan.
2003 Astro AWD bought in January 2009
103,000 miles, Trucool 4590, ScanGageII, Michelin LTX 215/70R16, Tekonsha P3

2009 Chevrolet HHR
2001 HD XL1200S
1970 Austin Cooper 'S'

Retired:
1994 Astro AWD (sold in 1996, 50,000 miles in 2 years)
1992 Astro RWD (bought from GM fleet, traded for AWD in 1994)

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I pulled the grill off (took a while to find the two bolts behind the signal lights) and took the aux trans cooler I have to fit it only to find it won't. I may have to order a different one. I will have a look again another time as I was completely exhausted and didn't want to take the time to figure it out. With the AC condenser there is not much space especially since there is an AC line running across the front of the condenser.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Which aux cooler did you buy Jim, what size? snap some pics of this sucker...

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Not the tru-cool sadly. I got it a long time back (more than a year) then got busy and never looked to see if it would fit. I will have to get pics another day. We had quite the downpour today and I don't have time to work on things. Maybe tomorrow or Friday. I need to get at the rear seal on the trans and do the filter as well, so I figured do it all at once. If I can't make this fit then I will have to order a tru-cool and wait for it. The dimensions are 7.5" x 20" x 3/4" and it is not a stacked plate design. It is a Flex-a-light IIRC. I ordered it and it was supposed to fit in the Safari, but looking at their web page the measurements they have there are completely different from the box. They say 7.5x12x3/4 on the page. If I can find the receipt I may contact them and complain. If not, I think I will just have to purchase another cooler.
Jim

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Thats why I was hoping you'd have a pic of what you're up against, I've probably seen over a dozen installs so its hard to picture why its not fitting :-k when you do get the chance throw some up

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I went to where I purchased it and sure enough there is the past order on record. I purchased it back in late July last year, but never got around to installing it (Life was very busy at that time last year and continued very busy until I came down with Pneumonia in December and then a small stroke in January but that is another story). I am past the time I could return it, so I am not expecting much, but hey, maybe they will surprise me especially since their web page is way off on the size of the cooler.
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

So I found a tru-cool 4490 for $59.99 and just wanted to confirm that is the one that I can get that will fit? They don't ship to Canada, but I have a friend in NY who I can ship it too who will be coming up at the end of May to camp, and I can get it from him then. Right now I just want confirmation that the 4490 is the way to go.
Jim

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I run the 4590's on the Astro and Safari vans. It is bigger and still fits with no issues. I posted pics of installs on 2 vans in this thread.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

It is only $10 more for the 4590. If the fittings that come with it are compatible with the Safari, I will get it as it is more cooling :)
Jim

batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

I finnaly got arround to installing a 2" deep sump on my 700r4

this pan made a huge difference! average temp is now 160deg but it takes much longer to reach that now and cruising temps while towing in hot weather are down 10deg from 190 to 180.

I relocated my temp sender from the external spin-on filter adaptor to the pan also at the same time so its hard to say exactly how much of a difference in temps it actually made but it is definately an improvement and it seems to have made more of a difference than my perma-cool cooler and fan did.

highly recommended for heavy haulers or regular towing.

hotpaws
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by hotpaws »

astrozam wrote:Thats why I was hoping you'd have a pic of what you're up against, I've probably seen over a dozen installs so its hard to picture why its not fitting :-k when you do get the chance throw some up

hi there I aswell have the ac line running in front of the condensor but i see no pics of that in this topic is this only on canadian vans maybe as i see Rileysowner is as well :canuk:

Anyone have this problem?
Does anyone know if its aluminum? I might just cut and weld the tube down and around to get the space

:rock:

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I have the same tube on my Safari. So is it just us poor Canadians or is this normal for Safari vans?
Jim