What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by 6spd_monte »

Installed my new power window motor for the driver's door, also finished cooling system repairs with a new thermostat and top hose.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I replaced my rear shocks in 6" of snow and 22*. I also used only hand tools, no air. Started at 4:45pm and ended as it got dark, about 5:30pm. Not a record, but very fun. I kept loosing my ratchets, sockets, wrenches and bolts in the snow. I had road salt and crap dripping on me, but it was so nice to be working on an Astro instead of the house. Maybe I'll do front shocks.

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

rlsllc wrote:I kept loosing my ratchets, sockets, wrenches and bolts in the snow. I had road salt and crap dripping on me, but it was so nice to be working on an Astro instead of the house. Maybe I'll do front shocks.
i usually lay out on a tarp on top of some plywood, that way the tools stay somewhere easy to see, and i stay semi-somewhat dry...as long as the job doesn't entail too much moving around from one side to the other, it works well, but can pack the snow underneath and cause some slipping around if you're constantly getting up and down going from side to side...

glad you got some wrenching in...i'll be thawing pipes instead of wrenching tomorrow...

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I tore up the power steering pump in a most spectacular fashion. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

d3athm3talh3ad wrote:
rlsllc wrote:I kept loosing my ratchets, sockets, wrenches and bolts in the snow. I had road salt and crap dripping on me, but it was so nice to be working on an Astro instead of the house. Maybe I'll do front shocks.
i usually lay out on a tarp on top of some plywood, that way the tools stay somewhere easy to see, and i stay semi-somewhat dry...as long as the job doesn't entail too much moving around from one side to the other, it works well, but can pack the snow underneath and cause some slipping around if you're constantly getting up and down going from side to side...

glad you got some wrenching in...i'll be thawing pipes instead of wrenching tomorrow...
I'm with you on the plywood, I've done that. My dad always kept big sheets of cardboard in the garage to lay in the gravel driveway for this reason.
The irony is, I was working on a concrete slab, I just didn't have time to shovel the snow. I was in a race against sundown. Great that with AWD it backed right up the snowy ramps without spinning a tire.

On topic: Used van to pick up mail (Netflicks, Yea!)

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Started changing my front brakes at 1130PM last night and finished just a tab bit after midnight :)

No snow here ... wish we had tons like last year :(
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Green: Bolted its rebuilt trans to the engine, hook up the rest of the stuff tomorrow.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Today is going to be attemp #2 at trying to get the pully off of my P/S pump.
On the weekend I tried getting it off with my old puller and it failed miserably. The puller just tore itself appart. So I went and got a new puller that actually cost more than the new P/S pump and along with a few nuckles, tore it up too.
So the parts store has my new and better puller in today.
This is the most expensive P/S pump replacement I have ever had to do.
P/S pump....$84.55
Core cost....$45.00, (but I'll get that back).
Old puller....Can't remember.
New puller....$92.36 (there going to give me a credit).
New and Better puller....$148.50
My beautiful nuckles....priceless.

Wish me luck.
Peter

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

oil change, lube chassis, fill front diff (really need to fix that leak) and inspected brakes
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Cleaned the back seat and truck area ... took my dog and two others to the dog park and they went mudding and swimming.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

phr1$k37 wrote:Cleaned the back seat and truck area
I did the same thing with the 93 while at work yesterday when we had a lull in the action. put all my tools back in the correct tool boxes and sockets into their proper home. today going to take the floor jack and jack stands out and put them away along with a few other things that have been rolling around back there for a few weeks. all the loose stuff goes into royal purple oil boxes and down to the basement. only problem is the floorspace in my 'auto/work area' of the basement is running out of room due to royal purple boxes piling up LOL 8-[

also used some white lithium grease on the slider, it was starting to grab while sliding .. woo hoo big deal eh? :yawinkle:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Yesterday was attempt #3 at trying to get the pulley off of my P/S pump. The $148.50 puller tore itself up, just like the $92.36 one did, and, just like the old puller did, so I went and got a newer, even better one; cost $176.75.
It's a K&D Machinist multi-puller. It has 6 different threaded bits for pushing and 4 arbour extensions for pulling. It's actually quite nice.
But,that's 3 pullers destroyed so far. ](*,)
When the last one broke even my faithful companion Kabey took off out of the garage.
He knows that tone of voice. He's heard it before, although it's usually directed at him.
I'm not going to mess around anymore, "today is the day that dam pulley comes off that shaft".
Did you know that there are 16 screws that hold on the windshield wiper valance, yet there are only 4 screws that hold on a headlight bezel. I just found that to be a bit wierd.
Just so I could say I got something accomplished, I did replaced the blower motor speed switch and a few burned out dash lights. \:D/

Peter

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Kabey's Van wrote:Yesterday was attempt #3 at trying to get the pulley off of my P/S pump. The $148.50 puller tore itself up, just like the $92.36 one did, and, just like the old puller did, so I went and got a newer, even better one; cost $176.75.
It's a K&D Machinist multi-puller. It has 6 different threaded bits for pushing and 4 arbour extensions for pulling. It's actually quite nice.
But,that's 3 pullers destroyed so far. ](*,)
Um, how much is a new pulley?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I would like to report I have finally replaced the P/S pump on Kabey's Van. \:D/
Finally; success!!!
I have always said, "No matter what your doing, having the right tools is half the job".
I will now have to change this to, "Having the right tools of good quality is three-quarters of the job".
My new puller took it off like nothing, and I didn't destroy it. =D>
I did notice another thing after I got it all back together, my a/c pump is on all the time. So today I will be pulling out the old pump and looking around for an a/c bypass pulley.
A new P/S pulley is around $20, but you have to remove the pulley to get at the P/S pump's mounting bolts. The pulley has to come off first.
Peter

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Kabey's Van wrote: A new P/S pulley is around $20, but you have to remove the pulley to get at the P/S pump's mounting bolts. The pulley has to come off first.
Peter

Oops, I should I have posted earlier to recommend you to change the tensioner pulley as well :p

Put back my top console as I am no longer hard wiring my bluetooth headset .. gonna return the Jabra S200 as it is not as clear as I would like but loud ... I can use the thing while on the highway with windows done and hear well but just not clear enough.