Rack & PInion Install

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rack & PInion Install

Post by Cobra »

that is seriously pro.... i see a business oppertunity
Last edited by Cobra on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Skips good, no doubt about that. I'm headed to the garage now to get started on this jewel.
Hey Larry you got to stop coming up with these new ideas.It could cause me more work than I had planned for.

Gary,,all the blame should be directed down towards Orlando way. He's the one who brought this whole deal up in the first place. :muhaha:

Skip,,told ya you better get the material in stock. :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Y'know, guys, with all this talk about racks, I'm really surprised that nothing has been posted in the Anything Goes section.
Are we getting old or what?
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Y'know, guys, with all this talk about racks, I'm really surprised that nothing has been posted in the Anything Goes section.
Are we getting old or what?
LOL,,a local did kill a 12 point this year. Big deer with a huge rack. :muhaha: :rolleyes:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Got er done. After Skip doing all the work there was nothing to installing the rack. The worst part was working with it by myself and trying to get everything lined up for the bracket welds.
I installed the shaft and spherical fitting bracket first. The shaft has the Astro fitting at the top and then changes out to a Mustang fitting on the other end and has a total of 3 u-joints. The slide joint and spherical fitting allow for any adjustments that might need to be made. Of course no adjustments needed, Skip had to have tried all this on his Son's van before he shipped it to me. Everything was exactly right.

Second u-joint just before the spherical fitting. The bracket for the spherical fitting uses the same bolts and holes in frame that held the Astro gear box.

Third u-joint on the Mustang fitting to rack shaft.

Rack installed along with the high and low pressure hoses. I put a slight flare on the high pressure tubing from the Mustang and pump side so it should stay on ok. Got a boot there on the driver side that I never sled back into position after removing the travel limiters from inside the rack. By removing the limiters or stops, which are C-shaped pieces of plastic inside each end on the rack, you gain more travel. I see I forgot to install the lock nuts Skip sent so I'll be changing those on the rack brackets you see in the pic.

That's it folks.
Thanks Skip for all the great fab work and for the answers to at least a thousand questions I had before this mod. got started. You're a real jewel my man. A true professional at what you do. Everything fit like a glove and I appreciate all your work.

VIDEO

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Now that's beautiful!! So, why isn't this stickied yet? Larry, now it looks like you can kick back and down a few :drinkers: .
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Rebel wrote:...The worst part was working with it by myself and trying to get everything lined up for the bracket welds.
Larry, you mean to tell us that Skip didn't stop by and help you install the parts?
Skip, Skip, where's your sense of brotherhood?

Just kidding, Skip! Great work on the parts. In fact, it just may be something I need to do to my 89... :supz:
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's what I do. Building things is what I love. I don't get to do enough of it. I do mostly general mechanic stuff. It's kind of boring but it brings home the bacon.
Larry.... Man, you knocked that one OUT. Nice install. I'm proud of you Bro. One thing though. I'm not sure the pressure hose will stay together with just a clamp. GM steering pumps can generate as much as 1100 PSI. And that's the reason they use a special high pressure hose with crimped high pressure fittings. Because you have a Ford fitting on one end and a GM fitting on the other you need to fabricate a special high pressure hose. If you want, I can make up that hose for you. Just let me know. And again, NICE JOB. \:D/ :partyman:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thanks to everyone and thanks to you Skip.
I had debated on using the HP hose so I hung on to it. In fact I have new one still in the box. Didn't you say you silver soldered the Ford to the GM tubing ? Understand about solder pulling toward O-ring. I was a pipefiter in another time and just about all I did was silver solder large copper tubing. Been a long time though,,what % mix did you use for that pressure ? To tell you the truth, I had no idea the GM pump made that kind of pressure. One of our old quick fixes was putting a slight flare in the tubing to keep the hose clamp from sliding off. Usually worked but have to clean end of tubing real well to keep from cutting small pieces of rubber off inside when sliding hose over flare
Thanks for the offer on making the HP hose but you've done more than enough.
Thanks again Skip :supz:

VIDEO

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

That is super purrrrty! WOW!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Larry, I'll check on the mixture. I don't have that spec in my brain at the moment. It just occurred to me that you can silver solder the GM end to the Ford hose. That way the heat from the silver soldering won't bother the 'O' ring in the Ford hose fitting. :-k
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Awesome install. Looks clean too! Kudos Larry, You're good, Smiley! :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

AWESOME job!!!! =D>

How close to the road is it? I would add some sort of skid plate around it unless your roads way down there are better than ours! I would be afraid of hitting some debris and smashing the rack.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Merlin
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Merlin »

Great write up and love the pictures. Let us know how this works out while driving for a few miles. Looks like a winner from here.
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.