Torquer 350 TBI build for Ole Yellar

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Torquer 350 TBI build for Ole Yellar

Post by GEJ »

While I have said not finding a rental work space for this swap has rendered it at a stand still,I certainly didn't account for what I could do in my home.Certainly I haven't given up on this project.That said,I hope to acquire the factory manuals for both the Ole Yellar 1985 van and one for the donor 1989 Astro V8 van and one for the 1996 crate 5.7 in the coming wks to rework the engine wiring harness and clean the same.While I tag each connector and check each one to learn about the harness,I hope it will benefit the site community in general.I am going to set up one of my vendor tables in my home to do this work.When I last left this off it was in the donor with the v8 running,but the scanner would not connect with the computer.My best guess is a blow in line fuse.Some of the other work I found on this conversion was questionable so I am pretty sure I am going to find more needed work on the harness it's self.

More to come soon.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Well Gary good to see your still doing what you can. I've been away for a while, but I skimmed quickly through the post to get up to date on your progress. If I missed something and respond to an already answered question, sorry.

I had the same situation with my block. It was a roller with a flat tappet in. I bought the retainer and a roller lifter kit from GM parts direct. I want to say it was around $250 for the stuff. I went with a comp cams camshaft though. If you need part numbers I think I have them. You will also need a timing chain for the roller rocker setup. The stock GM roller is a pretty nice setup. My investigation it was a lot cheaper than the aftermarket roller conversion kits.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Thank you Chris.I'll keep posting whatever I get done with pics.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

GEJ wrote:While I have said not finding a rental work space for this swap has rendered it at a stand still,I certainly didn't account for what I could do in my home.Certainly I haven't given up on this project.That said,I hope to acquire the factory manuals for both the Ole Yellar 1985 van and one for the donor 1989 Astro V8 van and one for the 1996 crate 5.7 in the coming wks to rework the engine wiring harness and clean the same.While I tag each connector and check each one to learn about the harness,I hope it will benefit the site community in general.I am going to set up one of my vendor tables in my home to do this work.When I last left this off it was in the donor with the v8 running,but the scanner would not connect with the computer.My best guess is a blow in line fuse.Some of the other work I found on this conversion was questionable so I am pretty sure I am going to find more needed work on the harness it's self.

More to come soon.

I haven't bought the factory manuals yet.While I want to get started on the rebuild of the wiring harness that came out of a 1989 Astro that somewhat was converted to a V8,I wanted to ask you all if you knew where I would find a inline fuse that would have prevented me from scanning the computer??.

I am going to buy a VU meter and I wanted to ask you all for suggestions on which one you think I should get??.I am thinking I want to check for continuity(sp) on each connector and ID/tag each one.

What do you think would be the best cleaner for the harness??.

Btw:Pics to follow this rebuild......
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Your scanner might not read OBDI. Mine will read some makes, not others. Mineral spirits is a good cleaner and it's mild enough to not harm any of the wiring and connectors. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Humm-Skip it was one of the snap-on expensive scanners.

Suggestions on a VU meters????.Well what I really mean is digital meters.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=37772

This is the one i have gary , it has ohms & measures continuity as well as ac& dc voltages , its great for what your doing & is very durable . well worth the 20 bucks .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.