major headache

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro
I am merely driving my van

Re: major headache

Post by liftedwhiteastro »

Well, it seems that I will be pulling the motor, to find out what let loose. Its either a bearing, or a wrist pin, maybe a rod. Motor should be out tomorrow. Im praying a set of bearings will cure my problem, but, with my luck, I highly doubt it.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Good luck on it Dennis.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

wow the V8 jokes in the beginning would have fixed all of this

hope it's nothing major good luck
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Dennis,
Any updates??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

Motor is out, I pulled the pan off, everything looks good to the naked eye, but I wont know anything until i pull it all apart. Nothing is broken that I can see, Ill post more after i get it apart.

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

Well, I pulled the heads off, and fouond something that isnt supposed to be there. I found a screw, melted to the top of #5 piston, and another peice of metal, melted to the side of the piston. i havent pulled the piston out to see if the cylinder is bad, but im assuming it is. So, it looks like im building a motor. It will be a swap, ill use the block, pistons and crank out of skippys old 88. Everything else will be swapped off of my motor onto his, with new rings, bearings and gaskets. Cam looks pretty worn too, so we'll see what skippys looks like and go from there. Goes from bad to worse. The fisher luck at it's best.......... ](*,) any ideas cheap hi performance upgrades?

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

mine was a crate motor put in a year before i bought the van , it only had 60k on it when you pulled it so everything internal should be in great condition . couldhave been an easy swap over if somebody didn't leave it outside all winter uncovered . :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Isn't Blazer getting rid of a van ( with a motor ) real cheap?

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Is Dan's engine set up from being out in the winter???.Does it turn over by hand??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Isn't Blazer getting rid of a van ( with a motor ) real cheap?
yeah but what it would cost us to get there (8hrs away) we could pick up a motor here much cheaper if needed .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

liftedwhiteastro wrote:Well, I pulled the heads off, and fouond something that isnt supposed to be there. I found a screw, melted to the top of #5 piston, and another peice of metal, melted to the side of the piston.
Any guesses on where the screw and chunk of metal came from?
Do you think they were inadvertently dropped into the intake, or did something let loose?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Any guesses on where the screw and chunk of metal came from?
Do you think they were inadvertently dropped into the intake, or did something let loose?
yeah he just recently had the valve covers & intake off to replace the gaskets , were thinking something fell in the heads we didn't notice & got sucked in through the valves . #-o #-o #-o #-o

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

That theory is out the window skipdiddlydo. We pulled the valve covers to SEE what the knock was. Must have happened when we had it apart 757892435852 times to figure out what was wrong with it.

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Well either way it happened Dennis,that sucks.Sorry to hear about what you found.

Let's say you do rings and bearings and a fresh gasket set on Dan's engine.Maybe with etc,etc-you spend $200.

If you spend $350 you could get a running 305 and if you have a RWD,I have a spair set of engine mounts.

You got it apart now and now "might" be the time to make the V8 move.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

If you spend $350 you could get a running 305 and if you have a RWD,I have a spair set of engine mounts.

You got it apart now and now "might" be the time to make the V8 move.
but then he's gotta worry about the junk yard tranny thats been in it for 2 years or more now which is an expense thats outa the question right now .

DAILY THOUGHT: