Just some misc pictures of Astros

Post photos, video of your van

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: Just some misc pictures of Astros

Post by rlsllc »

Rerouting the water outlet, this is the same thermostat housing I used on the vortec 350 in the 99 safari.

Clutch slave

Inspection hole plugged, I couldn't find anything to thread into it, so I got a "penny plug" at Lowe's for a 1/2" knockout in an electrical box.

Wiring harness, I pruned anything not needed, Mic had left provisions to change back to TBI, I have zero intentions of ever doing that. I also moved the knock sensor and oil pressure sensor, and hooked up the factory temp gauge wire.

Harness mostly installed, distributor in place.

My injectors, they are 24#/hr Ford, I replaced the O-rings and pintles, but one was missing from the pack ](*,) Always has to be something.

I'm working on the fuel rails, so that the lines will hook to the back of the engine instaed of the front, and trying to figure out the serpentine belt and heater hoses. They are a challenge. I'll get some pics when I make some head way on those items.

:cheers:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

rlsllc wrote:My injectors, they are 24#/hr Ford,

Ouch! Don't you know it's a sacrilege putting F*@d parts in an Astro or Safari? :poke: :poke:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The exception might be rack and pinion steering. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Just for fun, I moved the subframe out to where the van is and test fitted it. This isn't permanent, since the intake isn't all on it yet. I wanted to work out some details before I went further. In this pic, the subframe is 5" from the body, but with no weight on them, the T-bars have the suspension on the upper stops.

I knew the shifter and body crossmember were going to not get along.

Not my best work, but not done either...

My welder isn't my friend at the moment, so I fabbed these from uni-strut and bolted them. Doesn't look like much, but is rock solid. I needed to adjust the linkage, and it was stuck tight, so I heated it up nice and hot, then twisted it off, clamped the stub in the vice, heated that up, and snapped it off also. Not my day I guess, so I have to figure out the welder and glue the linkage up.

Just a random shot of the engine, I must have crowded it to the rear, cause it is even tighter than usual. I'm glad it is getting a lift. Doesn't look like much, but I was out almost all day. Beats working, lol.

:supz:

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Stuck the shifters in place along with the seat, it's doable, but I think I'll add a bend to the transmission shifter, about half way up and toward the driver, and extend the T-case one a little.

The body is not bolted yet, but is close to the right spot

The shorter spring, in the foreground, is from a 1996 cargo van. The other one is from a 2000 1500 Z71 truck. I took both apart, trimmed one leaf from the Z71 set, and made one set. I didn't use the main leaf from the Z71 set.

Putting the clamps on...3lb hammer and a gear puller, I use those things for lots of stuff.

I heated the clamps to bend them out on the second spring, the first one was no fun to open the clamps on

Finished product...I don't know how it will ride, but my guess is firm. The bottom leafs should only touch when loaded real heavy, so I'm not worried about them, I basically only added one thick leaf right under the main.

I'm using the shackles from the 96 van and the Z71, I plan to bolt the upper shackle to the hitch to make it rigid so only the truck one can move. Funny how it all bolted together easily.

Front spring hangers, tacked up to take to be welded by a real welder, lol, I added 4" of steel in between where I cut them in two, and a front and rear gusset, all of 1/4" steel. I don't think I'll have problems with them, they look stout. I pressed the bushings out so they wouldn't melt; I'm not looking forward to pressing them back in.

I have to figure out the clamshells also, I'm considering new spring perches on the axle and using the Z71 square u bolts and hardware.

:dunce:

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
rlsllc wrote:My injectors, they are 24#/hr Ford,

Ouch! Don't you know it's a sacrilege putting F*@d parts in an Astro or Safari? :poke: :poke:
LOL! Parts is parts...just like chicken nuggets.
Smiliesafari wrote:The exception might be rack and pinion steering. \:D/
Agreed, now figure out what to mount it to on an AWD, there is no crossmember under the engine. I thought about it, an it might be possible with some strong brackets mounted to the front axle to frame mounts, or from the front of the subframe where the big crossmember goes under the core support.

hebert12
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by hebert12 »

nice job....
ey i need the inside slide door handle
and one front lower bumper (fog lights)
ASTRO VAN 4.3, YEAR 1988 FROM PUNTA ARENAS, CHILE
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3071114