What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by ihatemybike »

astrozam wrote:Waved goodbye to it :cry:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

astrozam wrote:Waved goodbye to it :cry:
say it ain't so... [-(
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

justice wrote:Drove it to the bank to make a deposit...
Drove it to the post office to get stamps...
Drove it to the salvage yard to look for parts...
Drove it to the pawn shop for the hell of it, scored a practically brand new Epiphone EB-0 bass that needed some minor repairs for $100 :guitar: :rock:
Drove it to Walgreens to pick up the wifes prescriptions.
Drove it home.

:axe:
good lord Justice, down heah you musta covered 5..600 miles to do all that...
I grinded up 290 to 610 to i10 to 45 through rush hour traffic to take my son to the UofH orientation, from there back to the office to take care of a coupla things, back down 610 to i10 to 45, from there back up 45 to 610 to 290 (through the 5 death lane change) to beautiful sunny Cypress. It's getting warm, Man I wish my AC worked...oh well 2+60 works for the moment :muhaha:

[edit] p.s. that wasn't a Poke at Justice...a short drive down hear is 45 min to 1 hour.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Pulled the thermostat, stuck open like I thought. Appears to be the original. Seal fell apart, buy a new one tomorrow.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Bought a new thermostat seal, installed the replacement and began a coolant flush. Wire wheeled and painted the battery tray that I pulled from the parts van.
Aaron

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Well I took the LT for NYS inspection.Yeah it still is fighting me to the bitter end.Over a yr ago while chopping off ice off the windshield I cracked the it.I thought because of it not being in my line of site,that van would pass.Well that wasn't the case.6" into the path of the windshield wipers path isn't legal. ](*,) ](*,) Soooo it failed.Reverse light on the passenger side is out(yep that is the side with the dutch door that hasn't opened due to rust for awhile) along with the license plate light.Well $$$$$ is adding up.Now I got 10 days to fix it.
That was what I did today with the #***# van.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Yesterday-Trial run removing the dash from my 1993 LT. That is a job that was really, really not fun. And I did it just to do it, and see if it could be done. You have to feed the entire front wiring harness through the hole where the fuse box mounts, and unhook many plugs, push the hood release cable back into the van, unhook and remove lots of stuff. Not fun.

Ran the battery dead in the 94 listening to the radio, Hair nation, Sirius 23. :supz: :supz:

Then I looked at the 1991, and it looked easier (not), so I left it alone. I think I'll stay with the 1989 dash in the 89. I just need to add better light bulbs and paint contrast on the hocky stick gauges since I can't read them at all.

Today, I unhooked everything and pulled the column and dash out of my 1989 without breaking anything but the E-brake light switch, which I already replaced with one from the 91. I actually had my boy do it. I also pulled the seats and carpet, and looked at the clutch pedal and bracket, and the welds I have to drill out to put it in. It should be a ball. I love this stuff.

It looks like the shifter is going to hit dead center in the body cross member, so I guess I get to reinforce that somehow. I'm so glad this thing isn't rusty.

I dropped my 4x4 v6 oil pans off at the sheet metal shop to be made into one V8 pan for the 1999 today. Yesterday JTR said they had no idea when the pan extentions would be in ](*,) , so I'm making one pan out of 2. Hate to do it. At least they had the mounts.

I'll post pics in my misc pic thread later this week. :cheers:

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Went to swap the front soft brake lines and the passenger side hard line broke off at the junction. ](*,)
Aaron

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

managed to squeeze in a transmission filter and fluid change before the in-laws show up for mother's day festivities. As of now they are running 35 minutes late. If I'd known, I could've gotten the oil change done too.

name's Steve

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Done in the last 3 days:
Transmission flush and filled, new filter + gasket.
Flush and filled front diffs, rear diffs and transfer case.

On the Volvo:
Passenger Axle.
Timing chain.
Water Pump
Power steering flush and fill.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

noticed i have a leaky tire, lol
2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Green on Saturday: Moved an upright piano for the friend that lets me use his garage. Had to lay it on its back for it to fit. Showed off the rebuilt trans to said friend by nailing the throttle after a light. Lit the tires up on both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

Grumpy on Sunday: Replaced the front hard brake lines. Bought 25' of line and Advance had the bending and flaring loaner tools. Running the passenger side line is a pain.
Aaron

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

tbhager94 wrote:noticed i have a leaky tire, lol
I'm surprised you could even see you're tires with all that snow you folks got, lol

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Installed some Moog idler arms on the '95.
Tomorrow new tires! :cheers:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

astrozam wrote:
tbhager94 wrote:noticed i have a leaky tire, lol
I'm surprised you could even see you're tires with all that snow you folks got, lol
we didnt get any snow in sask for over a week, it almost feels like spring lol
2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.