What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by crash »

tore the lower dash apart on yesterday to check the vacuum actuator. while waiting for a reply to my updated post in the cooling system section, decided to hard wire my sirius and install my mp3 headunit that's been sitting in the basement since I sold my dakota. tore apart the rest of the dash. realized that i didn't have the right wiring harness adapter and i needed something called a direct connect fm modulator. ran to walmart with dash torn apart.. no sirius accessories, radio shack = none. got home and walked away from the van, threw the new harness in the box in the basement with the head unit .. this morning taking it to work, dash still torn apart. ](*,)
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Yesterday
Green: Went to start it after work, nothing. Got it jump started, then dash lights and radio started flickering. Volt meter on the dash is hovering around 14v, ScanGauge says the volts are randomly fluctuating between 10-16v. I had a weird whine on the way to work, so I guess my used JY alternator is shot. That will teach me, I guess. Managed to limp the van home, shut it off and there wasn't enough power to trigger the door locks. ](*,)

Grumpy: Was going to do more while I had it apart, but needed it back in service. Filled and bled the brake lines, then the coolant system. Put the body back together and installed the engine cover. Test drive shows that the thermostat is working and that the van tracks straight during emergency braking. :supz:

Today
Grumpy: Looks like I bumped/disconnected a vacuum line, cause all settings for the HVAC blow through the defroster. Image
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

tbhager94 wrote:noticed i have a leaky tire, lol
changed my leaky tire in the driveway with a spare i had sitting around.
2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.

rubberdown
I get chills without my van.

Post by rubberdown »

Well it was 2 days, does that count still?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5756&start=15

Tomorrow is serpentine belt, fuel filter, plugs/wires & track down power steering leak.

The lift install went teribly sideways this past weekend, long story but it ends with the cops showing up! This weekend for sure.
---------------Not All Who Wander Are LOST---------------

99 AWD, 4" Overland Kit, 30x9.5 BFG A/T Ko's, interior work, rest is stock & will stay that way til something breaks!

SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

Removed the ladder rack from the roof, and removed the wooden shelves from the back of the van. Also removed the wood from the floor and noticed the previous owner cut a hole in the floor right above the gas tank. Quick question. I just bought the van yesterday and it had trouble starting. We got it to start by using some starting fluid. My dad seems to think the fuel pump may be going bad. Are these prone to go bad alot? Thanks, Jason

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

SafariRoadster wrote:My dad seems to think the fuel pump may be going bad. Are these prone to go bad alot? Thanks, Jason
The originals last about 100k miles. Anything other than ACDelco/Delphi just doesn't last.

Here's a page I made on the subject.
https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... umps-tanks
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Green: Removed the alternator.

Grumpy: Fixed the leaky fuel filler hose. The tank's opening had some rust on it that was preventing a good seal. Sanded it back to smooth and used a new section of hose. Gas Filler Neck Hose, 2" NAPA part number NBH 1045, 6 3/8" needed. Filled the tank all the way for the first time in months.
Aaron

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Had angry stuff in my head and couldn't sleep. Drove to Beloit, WI at 11:30 PM, grabbed a free WI map, turned around, grabbed a free Illinois map, drove home, in bed by 2 AM. Averaged 20.6 MPG.
Aaron

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

took it to the shop for an alignment and a new muffler. goodbye slowmaster....no more drone
getting old I guess....
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

rubberdown
I get chills without my van.

Post by rubberdown »

Lifted her! Posted pics in the Ghettobago thread in the pics section! Alignment comes monday
---------------Not All Who Wander Are LOST---------------

99 AWD, 4" Overland Kit, 30x9.5 BFG A/T Ko's, interior work, rest is stock & will stay that way til something breaks!

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Loaded up the '99 with food for the homeless down in Clearwater...
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

9dawgs wrote:Loaded up the '99 with food for the homeless down in Clearwater...

Two-Thumbs up!
I did not do as much as you, but with a bunch of Teenagers from another church we went shopping for the food bank last week.

Yesterday, filled radiator and topped off the LOW motor oil.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I dreamed about buying another one. :-s
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:I dreamed about buying another one. :-s
LOL :cheers:

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Saturday
Green: Had the alternator tested, still good, reinstalled. Started checking other stuff. Just over 6V at the battery terminals. Pulled battery, tested again. 12V. Dang it, reinstalled. Van has power and started right up. Oh well, at least I got off cheap.

Grumpy: Found the HVAC vacuum line that I knocked off replacing the hard break lines. HVAC working once again.

Today
Green: On the interstate the van started vibrating like it had a wheel off balance and pulling to the right. Pulled it over to find light smoke coming from the hub. Appears that the drivers side brake caliper locked up again. Limped it home at 25 MPH. Jacked up the driver's side and tried spinner the wheel. Took way too much effort. Ordering new loaded calipers tomorrow.
**thinking Grumpy is supposed to be my beater, not Green**
Aaron