Engine Dies when breaking

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
dtbell76
I am merely driving my van

Engine Dies when breaking

Post by dtbell76 »

I just replaced the EGR valve and EGR solenoid so now it doesn't die when i shift into gear, but it still dies when i come to a stop. If i just barely apply the brakes it will idle rough but not die right away (but it does eventuly die) if i shift into "N" when i stop it doesn't die all the time, but sometime it does. I read in my "Hayes" book about a power streering pressure sensor, but for the life of me i cannot find one at any of the parts stores(Autozone, Oreilys, NAPA, Carquest). The only reason i mention the power steering presure sensor is because i know the breaks run off the power steering pump. At any rate i need some advice. I really need to get this fixed, its the only vehicle i have. Please find the model and Info of my van below.

91 Astro
4.3L V6 TBI (non HP)
over 100,000 miles
not sure on the trany model

safarirod
I am smitten with my van

Re: Engine Dies when breaking

Post by safarirod »

Sounds like the tv cable to your 700R trans needs adjusting. Sorry I have no idea how to do this. Someone should ring in with info.
1993 Safari
Lowered
Shaved
Building my 350 and 400 turbo
all old school

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

first question I have is, does it still brake ok?
second question is are you positive the brake booster is hydraulic and not vacuum?
If the answer to the first question is yes, then the bad idle / stall problem probably has nothing to do with your power steering pump. If it did, you'd notice a sputter / stall problem when you cranked the steering wheel hard in a turn.
I suspect your problems are related more to engine tuning / maintenance than the brakes or power steering pump.
The only thing that comes to mind that would make your engine die when you brake, that is related to the transmission is the torque converter and the torque converter lockup solenoid. IF the solenoid was causing the TC to lockup and not release when you hit the brakes, it'd kill the engine.
Being a '91 TBI engine, I'd be willing to bet some maintenance needs to be done to the engine. I've got an '89. I'm not the original owner, but I do know that the maintenance was not so good. Your symptoms sound similar to mine prior to rebuilding the throttle body. They carbon up a bunch below the throttle plate. A rebuild kit for the TBI is really cheap - 13 bucks or so.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Try your basic tune up things. You already replaced the EGR. There is also the PCV valve, a loose\broken vaccuum hose, spark plugs\wires\cap & rotor, cleaning up the TBI like mentioned and so on. Is your SES light on at all?
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
dtbell76

Post by dtbell76 »

the answer to the first question is Yes, it does break fine. I did fail to mention that the engine does sputter and die when the wheel is turned at idle. I know for a fact that the breaks are the "Hydro Boost" type. I bought the Van about 4 years ago and it has worked fine up until about a year ago, when all this started. The person i bought the van from had been using Tranny Fluid in the power steering pump due to a leaky top shaft seal on the PS box. I tried going back to using PS fluid but it leaks out even faster than the TF. I think I will try cleaning the TBI and i may even replace the TPS and IAC at the same time. Thanks for the input from everybody. And to answer the last question asked, no the SES light does not come on. Thanks Again