Turbo 350 in astro: who has done this? Is it hard?

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
ZachZ
I am merely driving my van

Turbo 350 in astro: who has done this? Is it hard?

Post by ZachZ »

Turbo 350 in an astro? I am having transmission problems with my 700r4. I thought rather than having it rebuilt for $1700 I could buy a new 350 from summit for around $700. I dont need the OD. From what I understand the 350 is the same size as the 700r4. Would I have to build custom tranny mounts? I would probably buy a floor mount shifter, so the column linkage wouldn'd be an issue. What am I overlooking? I this as simple I think it is? Will the stock driveshaft work?

http://www.myspace.com/ball_zach or http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2963587

Porsche 914 with Chevy V8(Huge balls!)
1994 GMC cargo safari(Large Balls For A White Van)
1988 Astro Project van(Small Balls For Now)

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Turbo 350 in astro: who has done this? Is it hard?

Post by Someone »

I am pretty sure the 700R4 is longer, wich would mean you need to get your driveshaft shortened... but I would double check that as I am not 100% sure... other than that you wont have any problems, the column shift will work, it will just stop at 2 and not go into the 1 position.
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Hi Zach,
Consider rebuilding your tranny.$1700 sounds on the high side.With the right parts for the rebuild you can make your trans all that 350 and more.Where you located?.Look for a private owned trans shop that has been in business for a long time.Shop it around for a better price.Tell us what is wrong with your trans.There are many,many members here that can suggest how to make your trans live a long,long,time.Swaps generally look cheaper at the beginning and can end-up costing more than fixing the OEM trans.Valve body mods done by a lot of members is a Trans-go kit,Vett servo,.5 boost valve,trans cooler.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
ZachZ

Post by ZachZ »

I am in Houston TX, I called a known tranny shop here that does alot of performance builds. I told them I wanted my transmission to be good for up to about 400hp. I figured that since my transmission is messing up, now would be the time to put something better in so I dont have to worrie about it when I drop a v8 in it.

Now the symptoms...

When I just start my van and it is cold, I have to rev it high or it will just sit there slipping.

when I am driving it sometime it bucks hard. This has happened at all different speeds, and even sometimes it will stall my van.

so there it is.... any suggestions?

http://www.myspace.com/ball_zach or http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2963587

Porsche 914 with Chevy V8(Huge balls!)
1994 GMC cargo safari(Large Balls For A White Van)
1988 Astro Project van(Small Balls For Now)

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

You will need to fabricate on the mount of the cross member, but other than that a 9" tail shaft TH-350 will fit, the difference in overall length is something like 1/16 or 1/32 an inch nothing to worry about with a slip yoke. For 1700 it'd better be 400hp capable, nationa average for a stock 700R4 is something around 1175. That being said a 4 speed slush box carries a premium for the rebuild you're talking significantly under 600 bucks for the whole mess in parts.

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I paid $800.00 on my 1994 Lt when I bought it with a blown tranny.That was R&R&R from a friend who owns a trans shop.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

GEJ wrote:I paid $800.00 on my 1994 Lt when I bought it with a blown tranny.That was R&R&R from a friend who owns a trans shop.
actually a very good price he cut you a pretty big deal.

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Yep

Mr_Roboto wrote:
GEJ wrote:I paid $800.00 on my 1994 Lt when I bought it with a blown tranny.That was R&R&R from a friend who owns a trans shop.
actually a very good price he cut you a pretty big deal.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Don't complicate your life any more than it needs to be. If you always dreamed of a 3-speed Turbo Hydramatic transmission, then that's different (though your dreams could use a little more excitement :muhaha: ).
But if you're doing this to save money & hassles, I don't think it's worth it. Find another 700 in good shape and run it as is if you're tight fer bucks. Or, get yourself a 700 tranny from PATC, they offer 3 or 4 different levels of wickedness.
As well, you might not think you need an overdirve now, but slap in some 3.73's or 4.11's gears and mebbe high(er) stall converter and you might just regret going the antiquated 3-speed way.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Listen to these guys. Turbo 350 is a dinosaur. The newest version of the 700R4 is actually a 4L60. 1988 to 1993. It has 30 splines on the input shaft. And other good upgrades. and can be made to handle serious HP. It's also a direct bolt in swap.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

I dunno, I am far more of the opinion the 350 is fine, but you have to stay within its strengths. If you do a lot of out of town driving or if you do a lot of city driving, wether or not this is a weekend vehicle or a daily driver all come into play. For a "weekend" van that sees limited milage on the highway, a TH-350 is not only good but great. It has advantages over a 700R4 such as being significantly lighter, a way better 1-2 ratio (a flaw with the 700R4 IMO) and can be made durable for much cheaper if you are paying for the labor. That being said, I can tell you how to build one up for under $700 including the cost of tools if you are inclined to do so and probably way less. I've decided my van will probably eventually be power glide or TH400, but they both require some fairly extensive modifications to fit. Seriously leaning towards the glide right now but only if the torque is high enough.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Here's a guy that shows being registered on Ebay since 07 but think he was in Fl. long before this and was registered then so don't know what that's all about. Think this may be where Trybe got his 700r. Not sure of that but anyway,,check out his different builds and prices. This will give you an idea of what's out there and the price range. Watch for core charges and shipping. I'm not saying contact this guy, it's just a suggestion on something to compare to.
Check with James and see if this is the guy. He got some great service and a few issues the guy was all over making it right.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZoutlawtranny
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words