Light bar for front bumper to mount fog or driving lights.

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Light bar for front bumper to mount fog or driving lights.

Post by Astrophysics »

I have a 2003 Chevy Astro AWD and found a clever way to make a nice looking light bar for the front bumper. Since there are no Westin or WAAG bars to fit an Astro you need to improvise.
Basically, go to your neighborhood Lowes or Home Depot and get one of the nice new curved hotel style shower curtain rods in brushed nickel finish or chrome or stainless finish. Get the adjustable one and push it together to the shortest total length and then mount it to the top surface of the front bumper. The kit is about $59 or so and if you get the nice one the mounting bracket is oval shaped. Just use stainless steel hex bolts (about 5/16 inch diameter by 2 inch long. It is easy to drill just 2 holes on the top edge of the bumper to mount the shower bar brackets. These shower bars are very strong and can easily support the weight of 2 driving lights. I used Hella 500 round lights since they have a plastic case and are slim package. The lights sit up nice and high near the hood release too so they project the off road beam pretty well. The curve bar includes The 1 inch OD. of the curved bar so you can use the plastic Yakima or Thule cross bar clamps to attach to the shower bar. Put an extra strip of bicycle inner tube to make a tight fit with the clamp. Then you can bolt on a 12 to 18 inch long piece of aluminum U channel as a horizontal mounting bar to mount driving lights or fog lights. I will post a photo of the install next time.

submitted by member "Astrophysics"

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Light bar for front bumper to mount fog or driving lights.

Post by dunedog »

Look forward to the pics =D>
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

ihatemybike wrote:Image
what he sad
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I found the picture of the light bar and the Part number of the stainless steel curved bar.
The shower bar is great. It is made by Zenith Products Corp. the brushed nickel Curved rod is Part number 35601BN. There are other curved shower bars, but the Zenith Products one from Home Depot has the best end cap design for the purpose of mounting to the bumper.

NOw I need to re save my high resolution photo to lower res and post it.

Astrophysics

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

No pics? whats the point?????????

Sounds good I will check this out. I have been wondering how can I add a light bar to my AWD van for a while.
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I took some new photos of the light bar mounted to front bumper of 2003 AWD Astro.
The curved shower bar is brushed nickel finish stainless steel and it is surprisingly strong, especially when the extension is minimized.
Use stainless steel 5/16 inch bolts to mount clamp and nylon lock nuts, etc.
Attachments
Astro van light bar clamp.jpg
Astro light bar clamp detail.jpg

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Wow, that came out pretty nice!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Yeah that looks good. :D Hmmm will have to think about that for real!!!!
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i dont personnally see the need for fog lights, and dont really like the off road jeep style look some go for, but i gotta admit i expected this to look pretty gaudy for what you chose to use, but if thats the style your into it definitely looks nice. i would have never been able to guess that was a shower rod. looks far more durable than i would've expected too.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by midnighthunder89 »

if i had fog lights a few weeks ago i might of had the chance to see the deer that was infront of me instead of hitting him. I am going to put some on. how much does that help with visibility. any pics with lights on vs off
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

definately a neat way to do it. turned out a whole lot nicer than I would have imagined...
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Looks Good Dood =D>
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Van fans,

The front light bar with the higher mounting position is actually intended for longer range driving lights.
The spot beam of the driving lights is intended to extend ahead even further than the high beams. We have to be careful with the driving lights and not use them in the city. Fog lights can be mounted lower; either just above the bumper or even below the bumper as was done with the Astro factory fogs. The fog lights are popular since you can use them all the time if you want since the beam is low to the ground. Fog lights can help with cornering. Fog lights are also nice when driving thru camp grounds etc. after dark so as not to disturb the other campers one can run parking lamps and fogs.
If anyone installs driving lights, I have found that the 55 Watt bulbs, H3 are fine. the 100 Watt bulbs use more power and get hotter and burn out faster. If you do run driving lights make sure the on / off switch is easy to reach and turn them off when approaching traffic nears. Driving or off road lights are often covered with the tell tale white plastic covers, since off road lights should not be used in traffic. If one assumes that the driving lights will be used only when the high beams are on, you can wire the new relay in the auxillary light kit so that the aux drivinig or off road lights can only work when the high beams are on . Then when you dim the brights for on coming traffic you automaitcally turn off the driving lights.

Fog lights are a better idea for in town use.

Astrophysics.
PS
The stainless steel shower rods are indeed a lot stronger than I would have expected.

I actually installed a fixed length curved stainless steel shower bar in our bathroom last summer. I had to shorten it by 2 inches or so. Wow , it was very tough to saw thru it with hack saw.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

=D> Looks great. You've got vision. May I be so bold as to request a wider shot that includes the whole front, and maybe a full 3/4 front as well. :-k
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.