Rack & PInion Install

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rack & PInion Install

Post by mdmead »

Astrophysics wrote:Is there any way to make the front tires turn farther on an Astro AWD 2003 to make the turning circle a bit tighter?
the Astro turn circle is kinda big at 44 ft?

Astrophysics
I've never actually measured my turning radius, but I've always been impressed with my '96 AWD. It turns nearly as tight as our Focus wagon and is a whole lot bigger.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

That's exactly the reason. I know, some idiot ground down the stops on my a-arms. That in conjunction (for our american brethren, conjunction means "along with" :muhaha: ) with the wrong bracket holding up my front diffy caused me to blow two cv joints.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Smiliesafari wrote:Yes, the spherical end is in there. Now, Larry,Larry Larry, the Cad tails are more than enough. I can't thank you enough, Bro. If we send Petey a "BINKY" it will keep his mouth busy. \:D/

Funny you shouild mention that. I am a grown adult male, yet I openly admit that I love my binkies. Mind you, I have two of 'em. Both firmly attached to Libby, who does her best to keep 'em in top shape, all just fer l'il ole me! :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

peter wrote:That's exactly the reason. I know, some idiot ground down the stops on my a-arms. That in conjunction (for our american brethren, conjunction means "along with" :muhaha: ) with the wrong bracket holding up my front diffy caused me to blow two cv joints.
This on your trip to visit your American brethren ... :muhaha: right?
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

and obviously Libby isn't around this weekend to monitor your posts 8-[
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Well, you guys won't believe what came in the mail yesterday. I can't get over the care package Skip sent. I thought he was just going to piece together the shaft since I was having issues finding the parts around here at the 96. When I opened the box, there was the shaft all together with 3 u-joints and ends to mate up witht the Mustang on one end and to the Astro on the other. Next were two very well made rack brackets and gussets. They also had the rack connection bolts welded right on the brackets. Then there was the offset with the spherical fitting that bolts to frame using the same holes as the gear box was bolted to which the shaft goes through to keep the 3 u-joints shaft aligned. The offset was even tapped to use the Astro gear box bolts. On top of putting the assembly kit together, every piece was painted. Even came with a full page of step by step very well written directions.

Skip,,you are the man bud, unreal. :prayer:
'
Will post pics tonight of all these parts. I really think they came from a proshop out around Darren's neck of the woods.lol :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Oh feel the love in the air! Man reading the whole thread shows why many of us just love hanging around in here. Unreal TLC from real folks who care. Even the ones who bricker ... I mean someone has to be the teaser and teased! :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Rebel wrote:Well, you guys won't believe what came in the mail yesterday. I can't get over the care package Skip sent. I thought he was just going to piece together the shaft since I was having issues finding the parts around here at the 96. When I opened the box, there was the shaft all together with 3 u-joints and ends to mate up witht the Mustang on one end and to the Astro on the other. Next were two very well made rack brackets and gussets. ......Skip,,you are the man bud, unreal. :prayer:

And I can tell you why Skip did this for you. He's terrified that your rack & pinion conversion will take as long as your rear IRS conversion. You know, the one for which we still haven't heard any final verdict on.
I'm tellin' ya Gramps, lettin' Darren into your midst has contaminated you with his "work-in-progress-forever" credo. Big mistake if you ask me... [-(
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

He's jealous,,I knew it.
I have a true friend who wants to help me out. One who cares and feels truely sorry that a member has grown old trying to finish his ride.
Skip and Darren,,don't pay him any mind. He's still upset that he blew his 401 building the "Smurfmobile" and Tramper. :muhaha: :yawinkle:
Last edited by Rebel on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Here's the surprise package that arrived from Skip(smiliesafari) yesterday. Some really nice work for sure and Peter,,I'll be in the garage tomorrow. Susan's out of town so YOU know what that means.

VIDEO

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Damn!!!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

The turning radius got worse when they went to 16" wheels in 2003... Not sure if you can fix it, the tires might rub the anti-roll bar.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

peter wrote:Damn!!!

Bad word! *takes a look at the photo above* ... damn! That is pro! \:D/
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Damn that's one good looking kit! The words above and beyond don't even describe it. Smilie is that a practice run for the professional kit your going to unleash on the world or something? lol
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

LARRY!!!!!!!.GEZZZZZZ!!!!!!.Ok Skip-plse send me a PM for the cost to buy that kit.I hadn't planned for a rack for my van,but now seeing the kit,it kind of spurred my interest.

Hey Larry you got to stop coming up with these new ideas.It could cause me more work than I had planned for. 8-[ 8-[ #-o #-o :muhaha: :muhaha:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.