DRL shutoff trick

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

DRL shutoff trick

Post by potskie »

I've known this trick for turning off DRLs since I was a small child but I had forgotten how many people didn't know about it until last night when at work I explained it to a co worker while on the production floor and everyone in ear shot chimed up on how full of it I was. Well I told em to try it and I would know whenever one of those people went out on lunch as their lights would flash a few times. LOL

Well I thought I would post it up here incase some of you in Canada with DRLs didn't know this. But to turn off or disengage your DRLs just Engage the parking brake AKA the E-brake until the brake light appears on the dash. At that point the DRLs should be off. This is standard AFAIK for all DRL vehicles as IIRC it's part of the DRL law. So if it doesn't work something is broken. Remeber tho it doesn't turn off the headlights. Only the DRLs (day time running lights) are effected and this works if the key is in the run position or if the engine is running regardless.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: DRL shutoff trick

Post by BLAZER »

That does work on the older vans/trucks, but doesn't work after '96 or 97. I just pulled the fuse in my Tahoe since it was only for the DRL's.

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

That procedure works in my '99 Astro
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

WVKayaker wrote:That procedure works in my '99 Astro
I've always said never listen to me :D ](*,)
I know it doesn't work in the newer fullsize trucks, least that's what I read on FSC.com

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

you guys all want yours off and I can't get mine to work.. ohhhhh the irony ](*,)
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Before I installed my auxiliary deep cycle battery and hooked the amplifiers power to it, I was using the DRL circuit for one of the amps. Now the fuse is back in place, but I'm not sure I like them on or not.
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Topic author
potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

BLAZER wrote:That does work on the older vans/trucks, but doesn't work after '96 or 97. I just pulled the fuse in my Tahoe since it was only for the DRL's.
It should work in canadian vehicles as far as I know it's part the DRL law that was passed here in 88 or 89. With them being put into service in 90

Also ya it works in my 98 also worked in my mothers 05 optra :yawinkle:

k120189
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by k120189 »

for us US owners press the dome override 3 or 4 times and wait for the ding...then bam no more drl

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Next time I'm driving the van, I'll give this a shot
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

k120189 wrote:for us US owners press the dome override 3 or 4 times and wait for the ding...then bam no more drl
I think that is a 2000 and newer thing, on my '99 no worky.

I actually like DRLs. I know there have been several times I've been glad that a car had them that I almost didn't or wouldn't have seen, and wished others have had after close calls. But then again, I'm almost blind in one eye and the other isn't real great. :rolleyes:

Topic author
potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

rlsllc wrote:
k120189 wrote:for us US owners press the dome override 3 or 4 times and wait for the ding...then bam no more drl

I actually like DRLs. I know there have been several times I've been glad that a car had them that I almost didn't or wouldn't have seen, and wished others have had after close calls. But then again, I'm almost blind in one eye and the other isn't real great. :rolleyes:
I love mine. Kept from a few tickets when both lows burned out. I drove for 3 months with the DRLs and then the parking lights only on. Looked just like everything was working fine. The only reason I really know or use this trick is to turn them off when I'm at the drive in so they don't wash out the screen. and for those really early am warm up waits so I don't wake zeee neighbors.

97TurboAstro
I am smitten with my van

Post by 97TurboAstro »

rlsllc wrote:
I can confirm this.
I have a '97 and a '99. Neither will turn off with the dome override switch.
Our friends have a '00. It will turn off with the switch.
That 2000 also has auto headlights, the tow/haul switch, and a larger fuel tank
Ron
Nevada, TX
1997 Emerald Green Astro w/ a few mods
wearing-out tires

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

I pulled the fuse on my '97. For the park brake trick mine doesnt click off at high point, it clicks off pretty low where the brake is slightly engaged -_-
Also my DRL are my lo's but at lower power output. For me I am used to turning on my headlights when need whether in the morning or at night. I just do not like anything "auto" - I like to have control. That said *knocking on wood* I hope I never get ticketed for not have DRLs working ;p
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

yeah that trick works on my 99 safari and my moms 00 safari, i still have to manually turn on my headlights but hers even turns those on at a certain point, i think i like mine better though, like phr1$k37 said, i like having control of mine, but the drl's only bother me if i am sitting somewhere with the van running and dont want to be too noticed, while i am driving i kinda like em actually, make you more noticeable. i do want some nicer looking headlights though, mine are starting to turn yellow and get dull, i dont like the honda looking ones but just some new clears would be nice, some that dont distort after a couple years. any sugestions?
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

GnarliSafari: You mean the headlamp casing is fading? Or just the bulbs? If bulbs, go the Toshiba HIR route - awesome bulbs you wont regret and if you look on my site I have photos to back it up :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"