Sunroofs

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Sunroofs

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Any body put a sun roof in their van. I want to put one in and I am looking for some pointers. I was thinking a ragtop extended power roof that goes back to the second row.

What will that do for the structural integrity of the body?

:-k
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Sunroofs

Post by Someone »

I personally have only ever seen one astro with a power moonroof... the guy said it was factory, but I think it was propably installed by or at the dealer.

on the other hand the ragtops are pretty popular, havnt seen them much lately but I remember seeing them all the time in the magazines in the 90's... they usually go all the way from the front to the rear of the van, as for structure, you would build some extra rigidity into the track structure.... I am sure it would be awsome to have in a warm climate, but the cost is propably pretty huge!
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

I am going to put one or more in mine.
The problem with these vans is the ribbing in the roof. These make it much harder to get a water proof seal.Donmar is a nice product and has his and her [17x17] pop-ups which I would like to use. Especialy in the real vent hole.
What's nice is there is very little profile.
Up front I would sac the interior roof cd/door opener...blah and put in a large 18x32 size sunroof. Spring is coming and this is on my 'To Do 'list.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I've always toyed with the thought of 2 smaller ones up front over each seat. Then one big long sucker over the second row.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Don't mean to rain on the parade,but every sunroof I have owned leaked over time.I have talked to installers and got them to omit that is about the truth about all of them. #-o Last one was on my 1991 fully loaded S10 long box.But that might be just my luck too. :yawinkle: :yawinkle:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

here are the ragtops.. any shape, size or color... they aren't cheap so make sure your sitting down when you look at the pricing (that's not installed) .. oh, and make sure that you find a sunroof place that says they WILL install it before you buy one. many shops won't install anything they don't sell and also won't provide any warranty for leaks or rust.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/ragtopsunroofs.html

there was also a member on my dakota side that got a power sliding glass moonroof installed a couple of years ago. it looks pretty well like a stock moonroof (not like the cheesey popup ones). they aren't cheap either. he paid nearly $900 installed (cdn funds).
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Yep they leak, unless it's a good factory one which have a drip tray with drain hose's. That would be the only way I would do it, cut one off a factory vehicle. I had one in my 82 Mecury Capri which never leaked. It wasn't power,but you could take the glass out. My buddies loved it we'd cruise around with thier heads out the roof. Man memoires, bought my first CD-player... $$$$ back in 89. I also have one in the Trofeo, it's a factory power one. I've had one of the rear drain hoses get clogged by some spiders once, but that was it. The seal is starting to go and you can hear the wind at high speed, but it doesn't leak water.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Topic author
CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Ok so a lot of work to make this happen but the cool factor will be worth it. Any body know of a junker Sto near central jersey. I need to do some testing.
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"