soundproofing and insulation

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
bikeboy
I am merely driving my van

soundproofing and insulation

Post by bikeboy »

I was talking with a buddy of mine at Home Depot about some different forms of insulation for the wall in my Astro, he suggested using a heavy duty carpet pad. He mentioned that, that is what his son uses in their garage for sound deadening for his band practice.
My question is has anyone else ever heard or tried this? Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

mazade

Re: soundproofing and insulation

Post by mazade »

Hello there,
Some long while ago, before the '86 astro wound up in my possession, my dad had the majority of the cargo space behind the walls & doors spray foamed by a spray foam contractor... of course everything was stripped down and/or sheeted to protect against the overspray... but anyhow, that was(and still is) the insulation of the walls, ceiling, rear(barn) & slider door. Recently during the resto-mod we added a barrier-decoupler to the mix.. actually removing the under-carpet-type padding stuff and put in specifically this stuff. For what it's worth that stuff was $3/sq.ft. last time we bought it... Sadly though things have been kinda offset since now we got a nicely opened up V6 with a throaty rumble and somehow managed to get the noisiest fuel pump money could buy... so I dunno if the end result is much improved #-o
as well, I'd hafta say that we put down 10 boxes of this.. which went on the doors(where it could) and all other areas underneath the above listed barrier-decoupler.
My two cents and whatnot
'86 Astro 99% finished on the modding

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Sound proofing can be done by adding sound deading materials and yes the material needs to have substainial mass, ( and this means weight! ) in the old days the floor boards and firewall of cars had a carpet pad type mateial with a thin layer of sheet lead bonded to it (this was in a 1973 Volvo) Lead is not used much anymore since the environomental movement is so scared of it. But obviosly, lead fish weight were great. Are fishing weights made of lead (PB) still or are they iron now.

yes to reduce noise, one wants to prevent the "oil canning " effect where large areas of sheet metal can freely resonant with sound.

heavy rubber or rubberized carpet pads like on the entrance to a bank building or lobby of a hotel are available at HOme Depot and could add some sound reduction.

Astrophysics.

PS

if noise is still loud the other simple fix is to turn up the volume on the stereo.

2002Safari
I am smitten with my van

Post by 2002Safari »

Give http://www.b-quiet.com/ a look.

I've never used the product but may as I would like to have my Safari SLT as quiet as possible for those long trips.
2002 Safari SLT

safarirod
I am smitten with my van

Post by safarirod »

While you were in Home Depot, you could have gone to the roofing department. They have some stuff called "peel and seal" it comes in a 25' roll. It's the closest thing I have found to Duromat material. In Joplin, MO it's around 13.00 a roll. Its an aluminum shield with a sticky tar like backing. I started doing my Safari in the doors and the floor behind my front seats, WOW what a difference. In my doors and panels I will instal carpet pad to it to deaden it some more.
1993 Safari
Lowered
Shaved
Building my 350 and 400 turbo
all old school

Topic author
bikeboy

Post by bikeboy »

Yes I have seen the peel and seal it was another choice. My buddy had mentioned putting that on first and adding some padding in those areas that will handle it. I may be doing that this spring. As for turning up the stereo I am good at that, my lovely bride got me a new High Def stereo for my b-day this year and it makes a world of difference compared to the stock one. Not to mention almost doubling my station choices.

moboman
I get chills without my van.

Post by moboman »

I sprayed greatstuff expanding foam in the rear doors, and sliding door. I sprayed non-expanding on the roof supports. I put rammatt Bxt on the floor and walls and the front doors.

This all helped quite my van down and it stays warm in the van longer!