93 safari v8 and trans swap

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Gordon
I finally get the smurf thing

93 safari v8 and trans swap

Post by Gordon »

Ok i'm gonna do it...Don't try and stop me!!

lmfao

I have a question for those of you who have done a V8 swap and trans swap...

what's easier:

Pull the v6 and trans together or seperate?

Install the v8 with or without the trans attached?

I have opted to get the 350 with its original 4l60e trans rather then re-using my current v6 trans mainly due to the fact that i like to "abuse" my vehicles on occasion and i don't wanna get stranded with the weaker v6 trans being the reason.

ok, so here's a really good question...

V6 torque converter or V8 torque converter?

As I understand it, the v6 converter stalls higher then the v8 one... any truth?

Thanks guys,
Gordon :muhaha:
1995 GMC Safari 5.7L RICE EATER... MUHAHAHAHA

Bikehauler
I am smitten with my van

Re: 93 safari v8 and trans swap

Post by Bikehauler »

I have done 2 swaps now. I find it easier to remove motor and tranny together. I also found it easy to install them together also.
I would use a V8 torque converter as with the high torque at low RPM of a TBI motor you don't need a high stall speed. In fact a high stall speed may waste some of your bottom end grunt and lead to higher tranny temps. Your van comes with a 4l60e Trans. The ones that came behind the V8's have some heavier bands ect in them but you can have the original tranny re-built to V8 specs. If you enjoy abusing things you might want to pick one of the trannys and have it built to take the abuse.
Rocke
No longer the proud owner of a.
1990 Astro Cargo shorty. 350 V8, roller cam, flat top pistons, roller rockers, tbi stage 2 chip, built 700r4 tranny. 3:42 open diff (3:73 posi waiting install). Now rollin on new 18's with 235/50 tires.

Delta B.C.
Canada EH!