Greetings from NYC!

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
NYCvibe
I am merely driving my van

Greetings from NYC!

Post by NYCvibe »

Just signed up last night after picking up my van a month or so ago. I must say, this is a great site for A/S van enthusiasts. I'm hoping to, not only get some inspiration on how to modify, customize and fully personalize my new ride, but also to share with others my "close to zero" knowledge on the subject!

For starters, below is the "BEFORE" picture of my newly acquired baby: 2003 Chevy Astro AWD with just over 42K on the clock. Bought it from a local mechanic for about half the price on KBB (based on my geographic location and current condition of the vehicle given the trim level). Apparently, he picked it up from a lot in PA and... I found an old "AVIS" sticker on the inside of the drivers door(?!?!). Anyway, the VIN checks out on Carfax and my other independent local mech OK'd the purchase - as long as I was willing to pay for new front brake pads and shocks, plus the usual fluid changes which the seller took care of PLUS gave me a 1000 mile warranty on major components (in writing)!!!

BEFORE...

Anyway, enough on the past. Let's talk FUTURE! So, like I said my objective is to personalize this van without being too "in-your-face" so I'm hoping you guys can guide me in the right direction. I trawled this (and the other) site for member's rides pix last night and was really impressed by the sheer diversity - which reminds me... what's the deal with the other site?

So anyway, here's an interim list of mods I'd like to incorporate in order of importance from most to least. Obviously, this will be done in 2 or 3 phases so any help on where I can get these items (or even get them fitted to my taste) is greatly appreciated:

EXTERIOR

Wheels/Rims (preferably 18" x 9" with a slight negative off-set)
Chrome Bumper Guard/Bull Bar
Chrome Hitch Step plus necessary Tow Hitch
Head Lights plus HID Kit
LED Tail Lights
Painted Spoiler/Wing (very subtle)
Billet Grille

ELECTRICAL

Alarm System with Remote Start
Custom Honk System (double-horn or triple-horn)
Seamless iPod interface
Dual 10" Subwoofer Enclosure with matching Amplifier (will use factory CD player & speakers)
Overhead LCD screen (not too huge - for DVD, Navigation and/or other video signal input like laptop)

INTERIOR

Leather Seats
New Matching Panels
New Carpeting
Acoustic Treatment

MECHANICAL

V8 motor
Custom Exhaust System

I think that about covers it. Thank you in advance, fellow ASVians!
Last edited by NYCvibe on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:01 am, edited 10 times in total.

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Re: Greetings from NYC!

Post by meetthespeakers »

Welcome to the club, and it looks like we have some similar tastes in mods. I already converted the interior to black leather, did the LED Taillights, dyed some of the panels, and I'm working on getting the 18's as soon as I can sell my 17's.

I thought I would be done modding when I sold my old mustang. Man was I wrong, now I want to drop a LS7 in there after seeing some of the guys in this forum. Bastards \:D/
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
NYCvibe

Post by NYCvibe »

Wow! You mean I can dye the panels to whatever color? That changes everything!!! Hehehehe...
That Vibe in The Big Apple

2003 "4.3 V6" Astro AWD (R.I.P.)

2005 "3500 6.0 V8" Express RWD (I know, she don't belong here)

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Oh P.S. Not sure if you were planning on lowering your van, but thats the only thing that annoys me about having an AWD. I haven't found anything that is truly a bolt on for the front to lower it. Meow meow.

Topic author
NYCvibe

Post by NYCvibe »

I wasn't thinking of lowering it. As a matter of fact today I fitted some 20" x 10" wheels/rims on 255/30/R20 tires which of course stuck out quite a bit and were rubbing when cornering (not to mention the sliding door wouldn't open!). So I started thinking about possibly lifting it a few inches to accommodate the bigger wheels coz I really, really, really, really liked them.

In the end I opted for the practical approach and decided to go with the 18" rims instead (which is what I really wanted initially anyway) and since those came with 18" x 9.5" wheel/rim combo on 245/45/R18, the overall wheel diameter dropped about an inch all around which effectively gives me an inch lowering!!! This also allows for cornering without rubbing and the sliding door just barely clears the rear tire. But I think I'll have to trim the inside door panel to completely clear it. Also, this slightly affects my speedo reading (according to that online flash macro). But I can live with 58-59 MPH actual speed when it's reading 60 MPH!

Oh, I also fitted some LED tail lights, a chrome exhaust pipe tip (purely for looks) and the hitch with chrome hitch step at the back with some "affordable" [read: cheap] bumper protectors slapped around the corners. Ideally, I would've loved to do away with the entire rear bumper coz I prefer that look. But here in NYC, the parking situation is way too crazy and I'd get scratched up all over in a NY minute. So since I'm sticking with the original factory painted bumper, I decided it's best to protect it. I also found a decent chrome bull bar/bumper guard for the front but the guy at the store says it doesn't fit on the Astro vans. However, he did recommended this other place up in The Bronx that custom-fits them so I'm heading out there tomorrow. Will update on how that turns out.

PHASE ONE

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome! Throw some side shots up...nice looking van! :supz:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Welcome to ASV's. Some great folks here that you can count on.
Nice looking van by the way.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Yea, we need some more shots, side view, etc. Hurry! :rolleyes:

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Hi Mr Vibe!! Welcome to ASV! And very nice van!!
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Can I get some nighttime shots of those LED tails in action?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
NYCvibe

Post by NYCvibe »

Oh trust me, I will be posting some final pix in the "Member's Van Pix & Vidz" section when done. As for now, here are some progress pix. I just got the chrome front bumper guard/bar custom fitted by some guy up in The Bronx. I think he did a pretty decent job considering they didn’t make it for the Astro.

I also slapped some vanity side vents to compliment the chrome accents, which I must say I'm still a little skeptical about. What do you guys think? Cheesy?

BUMPER GUARD & VANITY SIDE VENTS

THE RIMS

By the way, I found this guy on Craigslist selling his 1999 RWD Astro with like 10 million miles on it for like $1500. All I want is his stock leather seats (see picture below). Does any one know if these will fit on my '03 AWD? They seem to be in good clean condition. I recently got a quote from one of those conversion places for $3000 for custom leather seats. That’s just not in the budget for me right now. PLUS I don't want my Astro to look like your parents 1980's conversion van (not that there's anything wrong with that - HA!)

STOCK LEATHER (NOT MINE... YET)

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Side vents, only if functional. Otherwise, dumb. IMPO.

Those seats look like a direct swap, based on what I see of the rear seat bases.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
NYCvibe

Post by NYCvibe »

ihatemybike wrote:Side vents, only if functional. Otherwise, dumb. IMPO.

Those seats look like a direct swap, based on what I see of the rear seat bases.
Yeah, that was my initial thought too. But then I started thinking - so are most rims, spoilers, decals and like another gazillion accessories. All for looks, no? But here's a curve ball: I saw another type of side vents that require cut-outs on the fender. These look a lot more... shall we say... functional. Would that sway you either way?

It's funny though, I know for a fact that you do get some practical use from hood protectors and window vent visors. But for some reason, I'm just not feeling them at all! Is it just me? I guess it's all subjective and down to one's taste, right? (Hence the words "customization" and/or "personalized"). But in your defence, I did ask for an opinion. :)

Meanwhile, I sure hope so about the seats. I'll offer dude $200-500 for them and see what he says.

Topic author
NYCvibe

Post by NYCvibe »

dumb lady wrote:Hi Mr Vibe!! Welcome to ASV! And very nice van!!

Thanx for the warm welcome! Hey, you do know that it's possible I'm a girl, right?

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I'd go with the side vents that you have to cut then set into the fenders.

I forget who, but someone had posted where they added functional side vents. Passenger side was the intake for the HVAC system, drivers side was for the engine intake, and the battery was relocated out of the engine compartment.

Anyone know who this was? Got pics?

So Vibe fill us in, A/S? We already know L.
Aaron