Air Intake / Filter mods - are they worth it????

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Air Intake / Filter mods - are they worth it????

Post by Spike99 »

Within ebay, I see a few air intake mods for Safari vans. They look like a 30 degree 3" ID rubber pipe and a K&N type filter on the end of the pipe. I would assume the van's existing factory filter Plastic box is removed and replaced with this special open filter. For example: http://racinghouse.onlinera.com/Air%20I ... B1X02C.jpg Some are claiming a gain of 10-20 more HPs out of the 4.3L stock engine.

Is a custom air filter system worth it for a normal street van? Or, is it just as easy to get a "drop in" K&N filter for the factory plastic box. Just wondering pros/cons of each - if worth it at all...

thanks.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Air Intake / Filter mods - are they worth it????

Post by potskie »

Spike99 wrote:Within ebay, I see a few air intake mods for Safari vans. They look like a 30 degree 3" ID rubber pipe and a K&N type filter on the end of the pipe. I would assume the van's existing factory filter Plastic box is removed and replaced with this special open filter. For example: http://racinghouse.onlinera.com/Air%20I ... B1X02C.jpg Some are claiming a gain of 10-20 more HPs out of the 4.3L stock engine.

Is a custom air filter system worth it for a normal street van? Or, is it just as easy to get a "drop in" K&N filter for the factory plastic box. Just wondering pros/cons of each - if worth it at all...

thanks.

The way I look at it with that style is they suck 90% of their air form under the hood. In that small of a space the air temp gets high fast which would negate any improvements in performance anyways. Especially in the summer. I've actually had problems in the summer running my 98 with out the intake section on the box that sits in front of the opening in the rad support. Personally I would just get a K&N cold air intake kit and just mod it so it draws cold air from beside the rad.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

specelec
I am merely driving my van

Post by specelec »

I personally like the drop in K&N. It has been on my van since new, and has paid for itself a couple of times over.

Never noticed huge performance gains, but I also didn't purchase it for that. I just wanted a reusable filter.

Be careful not to over oil these (NOT GOOD)

Hope this helps!
2000 Safari FWD
169K miles
New fuel pump
New rear end (broke while driving down road...Not towing)
All synthetic fliuds
New Catalytic Converter (169K)

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

I was always curious about it too, the best one I could find was the Volant Cool Air Intake, the ones on ebay do seem like they suck...hot air. The volant one also has a little surround on it as well. I will probably pick one up this spring, p.s. they are pricey though. :tonqe:

Features
Volant Air Duct: Cross-link polyethylene air ducts are sculptured to give the engine a less restrictive air pass to breathe. Larger diameters, unique bends and smooth transitions gives you maximum horsepower and awesome throttle response.

Volant Shield: Cross-link polyethylene shield is designed to deflect a large percentage of engine heat.

Volant Ram Filter: Cleanable and reusable high grade filter media reduces air restriction and increases engine output. Precision pleat geometry optimizes airflow throughout the intake system.
High Performance Silcone Connectors: High performance silicone hose connectors provides flexiblity while maintains strength and thermal stability.

Stainless Steal Clamps: Marine grade clamps allows optimal performance with large operating range and available for virtually any application which requires maintainability and versatility.
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

If it ain't suckin cold it ain't helping,and if your exhaust isn't up to snuff it won't matter how well it breath's.

The only real benefit is re-usability and possibly ease of replacement.

totem12

Post by totem12 »

i put the volant on but did not really notice a difference until i put a gibson catback system on...then things started to go....my air inlet temp is about 5 degrees over ambient.

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

TOTEM,

I have the same catback, the gibson side swept installed arleady, but i'm just running the k&n filter in the stock box. How much did the cold air wake it up? Throttle response, deeper throater sound? In your opinion is it worth getting, and do you have any pictures where it ends up in the engine bay? Thanks man :supz:
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

More air intake will help, but it will be offset by the heated air of the engine compartment. Think about it the car makers like to save money where ever they can, if it didn't make a difference they would not bother with the extra expense to duct in outside air. That's the whole reason turbos work better when they have an intercooler.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/gene ... index.html
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

10-20 HP increase? That's almost funny. IMO the only thing you'll gain is a lighter wallet. To begin with you're working with a six cylinder. If you want to really increase the power add a V8. That too will lighten your wallet but you'll really feel the difference. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle