ABS dash bulb question...

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

ABS dash bulb question...

Post by Spike99 »

Got a 2001 AWD Safari with its ABS fuse pulled. Since then, its ABS dash light has been ON. Was thinking of pulling its ABS bulb in its dash. Before I rip apart its dash (or try to reach upwards), is the ABS bulb a simple "twist in" or "push in" bulb or is it soldered to the back of the dash panel assembly?

thanks.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: ABS dash bulb question...

Post by CaptSquid »

Why is the ABS fuse pulled?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

CaptSquid wrote:Why is the ABS fuse pulled?
Because its ABS computer and 1 front sensor is shot. Spent enough dollars trying to fix it. With ABS pulled, it stops better then when its ABS system's fuse was installed. I refused to pay GM over $1,200 to fix its ABS system.

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

I know this sounds cheap, but you asked! I just put electrical tape (black) over the light on the dash. It isn't pretty, but it works! I don't like glare!
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

remark123 wrote:I know this sounds cheap, but you asked! I just put electrical tape (black) over the light on the dash. It isn't pretty, but it works! I don't like glare!
LMAO,good fix Mark

And spike99,you'll be much better off up here in the land of ice/ snow and grit without the ABS.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

astrozam wrote:
remark123 wrote:I know this sounds cheap, but you asked! I just put electrical tape (black) over the light on the dash. It isn't pretty, but it works! I don't like glare!
LMAO,good fix Mark

And spike99,you'll be much better off up here in the land of ice/ snow and grit without the ABS.
Ain't that the truth. I can't stand those my car stops faster blah blah blah because I have ABS people [-X )>) )>) The only time ABS doesn't lengthen stopping distance is on ICE it almost doubles it on snow and adds about 25% on dry pavement and gravel. The world would be a much better place if people would just learn how to pump or threshold braking. Ever heard of the snow/gravel wedge effect OI!
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

It is amazing how many people think that ABS makes their vehicles stop faster. From all that I've read and experienced, ABS sole function is to keep the vehicle steerable during braking on a slippery surface by pulsing the brakes. I remember being taught to do that during Driver's Ed way back in 1968. How did I ever get along before ABS?
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.