New HID Diamondcut lights... lil' help please!

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

New HID Diamondcut lights... lil' help please!

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Hey guys, I looked at Trybe's how-to last week which gave me the courage to buy these things, but there's something extra that wasn't even mentioned in the e-bay ad. There's an extra blue light and two extra wires... I'm at a loss, what am I expecting to do with those wires and light? Any info appreciated!

What purpose is the blue light, and any comments on legality? Seems to have the potential to be cool, I'd like to use it if I can.

Oh yeah, also inside the cones in front of the HID bulbs seem to be bent downward slightly... is that supposed to be like that or should I reach in there and straighten them?
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

ImageImageImageImage Krispy&Kremey

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: New HID Diamondcut lights... lil' help please!

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Ok I just mined the old ikonboard... tell me if this sounds about right: replace little blue bulb with amber and patch the wires into the small turn signal blinker; OR; ignore it and leave it unnattached.

?
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

safariobsession
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safariobsession »

Hey Krispy

I got those same headlights with free "H4" bulbs. I had the same problem too with one of the "diffuser/cone things" being bent too. You can bend it back but don't bend it with it in place! On mine anyway, the material where the part is screwed in is really brittle (kinda like ceramic) and easy to strip. I know from experience and sent one in for a replacement. One of the bulbs burned within like a week after getting them installed, but it was OK since I could barely see anything with them on. But after replacing them with regular "long beam" halogens, they've looked and worked beautifully for the past 2 years! Good luck with yours! And do something with those little blue bulbs...haha...i haven't touched mine yet!
Van sold April 2009 -->

Image Image

Current Mods:

Diamond-Cut Headlights.......................Clear Corners.....
Gloss Black Wheels......P235/70-15 Firehawk Indy 500 tires
Pioneer CD/MP3 Player.....800W Legacy Amp.....Two 10" Sonys
Dynomax Super Turbo......SunPro Tach......GMC Truck Badged
Heated/Cooled Center Console......750 Watt Inverter with Custom 120V outlet

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Man I hope these don't suck, the ad says it came with these bulbs:

Bulbs produces 160/170W High Wattage light output with only a standard Watt current draw

Do you think they are different than the ones you used to get on Ebay that everyone was complaining about a year or so ago?

Here's the ebay auction I won if anyone cares to inspect it for differences:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 13101&rd=1
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by violent b »

I got the same headlights, but not from Ebay, from Keystone. I hooked up the blue lights to my running lights. I have also put an 8000k H4 HID lighting system on these headlights and they are crazy bright. the only thing I'm not liking is the beam pattern. The diffuser makes a flower pattern, so i'm not sure how well it will look on the road (I haven't driven the van at night with the HID's yet).

I've seen the headlights with the projector lense in it on Ebay. If I don't like the headlights now I might go ahead and get the ones with the projectors.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Rob, if you do any amount of nighttime driving, you're gonna hate those lights because of the pattern they produce. You should spend the money and go with the Hellas. I was a little weary on the pricing, but found a deal on Ebay. And after installing them I will never drive with anything else. They are amazing lights!!
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Are Hellas a replacement bulb I can put in these cases, or is the diamond cut a problem? I'm expecting I will likely keep the lights but go grab some silverstars to throw in them instead, might make a suitable pair.

I really am looking for performance over looks on this one, but I thought I was getting brighter out of the deal as advertised.

Right now Krispy's in for a tune-up and break job so I won't get a chance to install until probably late this week.
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Rob it's the diamond cut that is the problem. Take a look here, this is what you want to go with:

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx? ... d_ids=3142
Again the price is little high, but you get what you pay for. These are the best headlights ever. I haven't steered you wrong yet, have I?
90 Safari XT Hi Top

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

And it's too bad that the info on the other board is not up to date. I had those headlights in the how to back out of my ride within 24 hrs!! I replaced with the stockers until I got the Hellas ordered. (thanks Cudapaul for encouraing me to make the transition to Hellas!!!) =D> )
90 Safari XT Hi Top

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

James,not sure if your talking about A.S or our H2 forum here,the reason that same light install is in our H2 is because its a well done H2,even tho the lights may sux it still serves a good purpose to help those who may be thinking of changing theirs.
If you'd like we could always add a little disclaimer that you were not happy with the actual light.

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Good Lookin' out James, so you can see how this is your fault right? :rock:
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

These work? Part number is off by 1 digit, but can't find the same on ebay or this ebay one on stylin.... same thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hella-20 ... QQtcZphoto

Save me about $20 going with this deal.
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

that price in stylin... is that $49 each .. as in each headlight ... or is that each 'pair' of headlights (i know they won't include the actual bulbs)
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

My impression was that it was EACH, but that it would come with a bulb. Hella's not known as a case company is it? Should be the whole package.
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Zam, i was referring to As.com. There was a thread where Cudapaul helped me to "see the light"! #-o
Rob, you can blame me, I'm big enough to handle it. :-({|= It wouldn't have anything to do with your need to rush into things. Nah, that couldn't be it, could it?!?!?!?!? [-( Man, sometimes you remind me of a giddy young girl on her first high dollar shoe shopping spree at the mall!!!! Image
But yes they will include the bulbs and those look like the right lights. Like I said, a little pricey, but worth every penny.
90 Safari XT Hi Top