Transmission tube insulation

Topic author
Ericglo
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Transmission tube insulation

Post by Ericglo »

I am having a problem with my van stuttering while driving. It is almost like it shuts off for a split second. At first I thought it might be vapor lock, but I am in Miami for the last week and I have ruled that out. I think it has been worse during wet weather. I thought it might be the coil, so that was changed. I was reading that there may be an issue with arcing on the transmission tube. I saw a slight bit of arcing from the coil wire to the tube. I didn't think it was a big deal, because it didn't have an effect on the engine in the driveway. I want to eliminate this from list, so what is the easiest way to insulate the tube? Do I need to replace the wires? I replaced the wires about a year and a half ago with NAPA belden wires. The cap and rotor are Delco replaced about three months ago.
former 1996 Astro 2 wheel drive 225k miles totaled by a poor driver
now 2002 Safari 2 wheel drive 130k miles

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: Transmission tube insulation

Post by LaGrasta »

This is interesting as I've never heard of this problem. My guess for insulation would be rubber. Let us know what you decide and how you did it. Pics would be nice too.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Transmission tube insulation

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Route the wire away from the tube if you can. If it is arcing, you need to replace it. Use some of that corrugated wire loom around the coil wire and that should help.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy