Steering won't return

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Steering won't return

Post by GEJ »

The van I bought is a 1989.The owner before me tells me the steering won't return back to straight after a turn.That you have to turn the steering wheel back to straight.Blazer and I where talking on the phone and thought it was air in the power steering lines.You folks have any thoughts as to what the problem might be?.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Steering won't return

Post by snapple »

Yesterday,I had to bleed my power steering system.Never had to do any kind of repair on power steering,so I didn't know what to expect.Was low on fluid.Added the fluid,went for a drive.Still no good.Read about bleeding system.Decided to try it,thinking it probably wouldnt help! ](*,) But,to my surprise 10 minutes later,I was good as new.For now anyways! :-$
Anyways,try bleeding it first and go from there.
Good luck, Bill
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Worm gear is adjusted too tight.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Raise the front end off of the ground and support with jack stands. Grease every zerk in the linkage/suspension, there's like 14 or so. With the engine off and the key in the unlocked position, you should be able to push and pull on one front wheel and cause the wheels "steer". It does take moderate effort, but is not real hard to do. If you can't, try to turn the wheels with the steering wheel. With the wheels off the ground, it should be pretty easy even with the engine not running. If it is not, try to determine what is causing the resistance. It could be a tight steering box, or a few tight ball joints, idlers, etc. If it all checks out on the stands, but won't return when driving, the caster (and/or camber)could be off, but it would have to be WAY off.
You can isolate the problem by dropping the center (drag?) link from the pitman arm, and then try to steer the wheels by pushing and pulling on one side or the other. It should be very easy with the pitman arm dropped.
Your tires are aired up all the way, right?

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

Caster is the angle that is required to return the wheel while moving. I don't know whats wrong with that van but just imagine a grocery cart and the wheels. BTW Caster isn't adjustable, after all other angles are adjusted caster should be spot on.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Smiliesafari wrote:Worm gear is adjusted too tight.
Way back when, I remember that another member had the steering-no-return problem and it turned out like Skip said--the adjustment on the steering gear box was too tight. But they had been adjusting the box trying to reduce steering slop.
(I can't remember if the member was Lotsokids or Astrovanoffroader.)
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Thanks all for your tips.I'll get back to you all once I get my hands on this van.BTW-my guess was air in the power steering lines.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.