My first welding project

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

My first welding project

Post by BLAZER »

When I hooked up my trailer connector back in Sept to the Tahoe, I did a quicky crude install, no bracket so I just zipped tied it hanging under bumper. About 6 weeks ago, the brake controller came on when I let OFF the brakes. I read that it indicates a short somewhere. Well, the short was cause water was filling back of connector and corroding connections, suprised I didn't short out all my lights. I could only find a bracket in a connector kit, didn't want that so I decided to try to make my own. My coworker gave me a 220 ARC welder a while back, hooked it up, practiced on some scrap, and went at it.
I should have planned it a little better, hangs kind of low, but it looks decent and does the job.
Just need some more practice and and need to learn voltage settings and rods to use...wished it was a MIG though! Not too bad very first first welding experience, I'll get it down, my trailer needs some mods!

Here's bracket ready to be welded.....

After first pass, need to lower heat some and learned I need to V groove both sides more to get better penetration.

After some grinding, about ready to be painted

Finished product

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: My first welding project

Post by mdmead »

Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

(And I sure wish I had a welder....)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Not bad for a first try. That bracket will stay there forever. A few tips from a really old welder person. 3/32 and 1/8 6011 rod will do 99% of every thing you'll do in automotive type fabrication. No more than 60 amps with the 3/32 and 70-90 amps with the 1/8. The thicker the metal the more amps. V grooving is for more surface area...Not penetration. Better penetration is created with more amps. Amps = heat. Lots of practice will make you a better welder.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

looks good , ive self taught my self to weld at work with a arc and a mig welder , ive gotten pretty good actually.
2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

Smiliesafari wrote:Not bad for a first try. That bracket will stay there forever. A few tips from a really old welder person. 3/32 and 1/8 6011 rod will do 99% of every thing you'll do in automotive type fabrication. No more than 60 amps with the 3/32 and 70-90 amps with the 1/8. The thicker the metal the more amps. V grooving is for more surface area...Not penetration. Better penetration is created with more amps. Amps = heat. Lots of practice will make you a better welder.
Well where were you when I learned-learning to weld? I always wanted to know what pressure on the Argon, Co on my mig and would you use Co only?
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

Topic author
BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Smile, thanks for the advice. The welder I'm using is a very old Craftsman and has a variable dial on the front, goes from 30 to 250 amps....who knows what it is actually putting out as old as it is. I was also given a bunch of rods, I would imagine they have been around for a while, maybe some got moist as one will start up really quick, others won't hardly give a spark....I really need some new ones in a sealed container. The rods I have are 1/8 I believe and are marked 480? Not sure where they are from, but they do the best over the 6011 I have. My two pieces were butted together and they probably would have been better if I had V them. I ended up dropping to about 75 amps as the higher setting was burning through.
Anyway, thanks for replies!!!!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Looks good Marty,I'm sure you'll have plenty uses for it.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Practice, pracitce! Ditto on the V grooving. Mig is real easy, best with a CO2/Ar mix for shielding gas. I learned to braze first so I find I prefer TIG welding, I like total control over my heat and filler rod. If I'm in a hurry you can't beat a Mig.

:supz:
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Man,,good un for first time. Always nice that you can grind er down.
Nothing wrong with it, you got the job done and that's that.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

It looks a lot better than my first try. I have improved and find the more I do the better I get. I got a auto darkening helmet a week or so back, but have not had the time to try it out. It will be nice to clearly see where I am starting the weld before it actually starts. I find with my other helmet I can see vague shadows and am getting pretty good at flipping it down just before I start the weld, but I have moved my hand sometimes as well (yes coordination is not one of my strong points) only to see that after the weld had started. Not a big deal usually, but sometime . . .
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

I wished I had an auto darkening, but cheapo me just got a flip down, will work for the minimual work I will do.
WORD OF WARNING...make sure you wear eye protection when doing grinding. I wear glasses, but got some minute pieces of my grinder in my eye...had to go to Urgent care on Sunday evening as my eye was killing me. Ended up having 3 scratches on my cornea and one black piece was actually embedded in the surface, he found 3 pieces of black specs in my eye, I figure from the cut off wheel I was using for grinding. My eye is stil hurting this morning, but at least I can keep it open. So much for just my glasses protecting me, have to use my side shields from now on.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

BLAZER wrote:I wished I had an auto darkening, but cheapo me just got a flip down, will work for the minimual work I will do.
WORD OF WARNING...make sure you wear eye protection when doing grinding. I wear glasses, but got some minute pieces of my grinder in my eye...had to go to Urgent care on Sunday evening as my eye was killing me. Ended up having 3 scratches on my cornea and one black piece was actually embedded in the surface, he found 3 pieces of black specs in my eye, I figure from the cut off wheel I was using for grinding. My eye is stil hurting this morning, but at least I can keep it open. So much for just my glasses protecting me, have to use my side shields from now on.

BTDT. I now wear a full enclosed goggle over my glasses when grinding. Plus after I lit my beard on fire from a hot chunk of metal hitting my face I also wear a full face shield or my welding helmet with the lens flipped up. Better safe than sorry!
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

YOU LIT YOUR BEARD ON FIRE? Now that sounds like something you would see in a comic strip. Although, I've been burned seriously (16 days in the burn unit), I know it isn't funny. So, tell us. Is the beard still there or did you do some fire prevention and get rid of it? On the content of the thread, that's good advise. A full face shield beats a trip to the Dr. to get crap plucked out of your eyes. BTDT.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle