engine code after removing the cat from my 98 astro...

Topic author
Hawaiian punch
I am merely driving my van

engine code after removing the cat from my 98 astro...

Post by Hawaiian punch »

I know its the o2 sensor, my question is can I get a heated one? (like we had to for our vettes) so the code wont come back? and or can I have it deleted by reprograming the computer? (delete the o2 sensor code period)

another question with my vette the performence would suffer slightly when the code was on, is this the same for the astros as well?

Mahalo for the help.
Last edited by Hawaiian punch on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: engine code after removing the cat from my 89 astro...

Post by SafariRob »

Punch, what code did your 89 give you without the cat? Back when I was running the ECM and TBI on my 89 Astro there was no cat and I never got a code. I'm curious what you got.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
Hawaiian punch

Re: engine code after removing the cat from my 89 astro...

Post by Hawaiian punch »

SafariRob wrote:Punch, what code did your 89 give you without the cat? Back when I was running the ECM and TBI on my 89 Astro there was no cat and I never got a code. I'm curious what you got.
sorry, I worte down the wrong yr, my van is a 98, not a 89.

How do I pull the codes on these vans? on my vette we use a paper clip in a couple of the ecm outlets ans counted the number of times the engine light flashed, that would give us the code, on the corvettes it was located on the drivers side undereath, where are the hookups on these vans located at and can I do the same as I did with my vette?

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Re: engine code after removing the cat from my 98 astro...

Post by Hotroder383 »

easy way to do it is bring it to your O'Rielys <my fav> Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts etc and have them do a read on it. up here they give you the reader an you can do it yourself, which is why I like the big O. =)~ as far as a heated O2 I have no idea, i wouldnt see why you couldnt get one, for that matter if your willing I'd just flash the chip BUT if you get rid of it compleatly how would the chip be able to tell if your running rich/lean??
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Post by 1996astro »

Your 98 has a o2 sensor after the cat. If you removed the cat it will throw a code. Its purpose is to inform the computer that the cat is working properly. You can buy a simulator online that plugs into the wires to the o2 sensor. I did it on my 96 and it worked great. For 96 and up vans they have four o2 sensors. Left side, right side, before cat, after cat. Do a google search for o2 simulator. I think I paid $40 USD shippped.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Your 98 already has 4 heated O2 sensors. Personally, I would leave the cat in there as it doesn't hurt the performance. If it's already removed, install a 3" in/out high flow cat and be done with it. Then there is no re-programming to be done. Codes can not be read with the paper clip trick. You will need to source a code reader.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Hawaiian punch

Post by Hawaiian punch »

1996astro wrote:Your 98 has a o2 sensor after the cat. If you removed the cat it will throw a code. Its purpose is to inform the computer that the cat is working properly. You can buy a simulator online that plugs into the wires to the o2 sensor. I did it on my 96 and it worked great. For 96 and up vans they have four o2 sensors. Left side, right side, before cat, after cat. Do a google search for o2 simulator. I think I paid $40 USD shippped.

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Your 98 already has 4 heated O2 sensors. Personally, I would leave the cat in there as it doesn't hurt the performance. If it's already removed, install a 3" in/out high flow cat and be done with it. Then there is no re-programming to be done. Codes can not be read with the paper clip trick. You will need to source a code reader.
Great info you 2!!

the reason why I removed the cat was simple in case anybody is wondering, it was all broken inside and my van could hardly go 60 mph!! lol, from past experiances with my vette I knew what the problem was, so I just simply removed it just so I could get around untill I can get me another cat, then once I did I'll put it back on and be done with it, but braddahs!! the way it sounds now is great!! lol! I love it! its music to my ears!!! I know once I put a cat back on it'll quite it down some which sucks but oh well. lol, it'll be back to the normal life once again lol.