Brake whoas.

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Brake whoas.

Post by e7ats »

Brake whoas.

I just finished doing the rotors and pads on my personal van on Friday. This morning I get in my work van to drive 4 hours to Pittsburgh and what happens? I step on the brakes and they go to the floor. Almost rolled in front of someone. ImageGot stopped and did a quick walk around. Found the passenger rear inside pad laying on the ground. Not the hole pad, just the fiber part. Image The driver side looks just fine. My personal van looked the same way, passenger side was warn down to nothing but the driver side had another 40K left on it. GM needs to look into these caliper brackets and get this fixed.
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Brake whoas.

Post by Rockwerx »

I have had the same thing happen on my wifes van. If the brake pads are not riveted properly they can shear off. If you are lucky you can just pop a new or even a used pad in there to get you a few miles. I had to change the rotor also as it got chewed up before I found out about the problem.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Re: Brake whoas.

Post by thevalleyboy »

Exact same thing happened to me when I first got my van - and of course that meant new rotors and pads.... oh well at least I now know the fronts are good to go. Wish I had found this site sooner however because I would have done the 3500 upgrade.... next time!
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta