how to wire all 4 bulbs on in high beam?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
red98tj
I am merely driving my van

how to wire all 4 bulbs on in high beam?

Post by red98tj »

Does anyone know how to wire the astro (mine is a 2000) so that when you flip to high beam headlights, the low beams stay on, too? I did this mod to my 2005 avalanche using just a diode from radio shack. On the avalanche, in the underhood fuse panel, i jumped from the 85 terminal of the low beam relay to the high beam fuse. this works really well, puts alot more light on the road. The fuses and relays in the astro are set up differently. Do I need to buy a kit from painless wiring?
Vehicles:
2005 Chevy Avalanche
2000 Chevy Astro AWD
2003 Chrysler T&C AWD

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: how to wire all 4 bulbs on in high beam?

Post by Astrophysics »

Summit RAcing has a $10 kit and a fancier $25 kit.

Also, on my 2003 AWD astro you can push rapidly the dome override switch
after start up before shifting into drive, to keep the Day time running lights off .

sometimes it is nice to drive around camp grounds with just parking lights on
daytime running lights and twilight sensors are great but I would like to be able to have manual overide too.

Astrophysics

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Check the tech section on the home page. Zam did a write up of how to do that using Some wire and 3 relays. http://astrosafarivans.org/tech/thumbnails.php?album=5
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Did you do it yet!?!?! Happy yet!? Be warned, light is addicting :rolleyes:
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Not sure how it will work with your DRLs. But I did this:

http://my.hamilton.net/~notdadsw41/headlights.htm
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hey hey! There is our man!!!! Him and AstroZam were the two that got me my answers back on the old board. It doesnt take long to do the mod at all!

Feed 12V straight from battery to the lights through the relay, ground the relay, splice into the hi-beam to use as the switcher on the relay, splice in to the lo-beam (in my case DRLs so they work fine) and boooyahhh more light!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

No-Skive

Post by No-Skive »

Astrophysics wrote:Summit RAcing has a $10 kit and a fancier $25 kit.
I just got off the phone with Summit and they recommended the Peerless ($25, now $28) kit, p/n PRF-30802, over theirs. Said it was a bit better.
Astrophysics wrote:on my 2003 AWD astro you can push rapidly the dome override switch after start up before shifting into drive, to keep the Day time running lights off. sometimes it is nice to drive around camp grounds with just parking lights on. Daytime running lights and twilight sensors are great but I would like to be able to have manual overide too.
Prior to 2000 (or maybe '01) the DTR had its own separate, fused circuit. I just pulled the fuse and they're gone. (Dash indicator stays on though.) Doesn't affect regular park/headlights at all.