power steering

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

power steering

Post by 92astro »

i need to eliminate something, okay on my 1992 TBI chevy astro the power steering box is always getting wet with power steering fluid and i am always having to add power steering fluid. so is my steering box leaking or what??? when i was under there the box was wet i think it could be coming from top of the steering box. if it needs to be replaced how hard is it to replaces?
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: power steering

Post by Smiliesafari »

The first thing is clean the whole area. Then watch for a leak. The most common leak is the pressure hose. That's the big one with the crimped ends. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Clean the whole area with 'Brake Cleaner' because it dries very quickly..... As Smilesafari said, the high pressure hose at the 'crimped joint' is the first place to look.

But get everything cleaned off and dry to begin with.

Let us know what you find......?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay i will clean the area!! i thinking about the hose too since it is coming from the top of the box.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Topic author
92astro

power steering leak

Post by 92astro »

ok i have a power steering leak it is where the steering shaft goes into the top of the steering gear or box where it goes in is where it is leak like a seal?? how to fix it??

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: power steering leak

Post by SafariRob »

Bryan, sounds to me like your van's steering box needs to be rebuilt. I've been researching steering boxes lately (I just installed a cop car steering box in my 82 Olds Delta 88 today in the hopes of quickening the steering) and most sources on the net suggest a rebuild by a professional. I agree with that.
But in your case, I think I'd go to a junkyard and get a box off a junked Astro. If you go this route, I'd suggest you take along a ball joint pickle fork and a BFH along with your tools. You'll need the fork to pop the pitman arm ball joint apart. I definitely get the box along with the pitman arm.
I haven't removed the steering box from an Astro yet, but getting one off (and back on again) on my Olds was not too bad a job.
Do buy new power steering lines, though. I can practically guarantee that the original lines will break due to rust when you try to remove them.

Here's what my Olds project cost:
Junkyard steering box--- $45
Pressure line hose assembly---$21
Return line universal metal line with fitting---$6
Return line 3/8ths rubber hose, 2 feet with two worm drive hose clamps---$5
...and a whole lotta floppin' around in the gravel of the driveway.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Re: power steering leak

Post by Water Boy »

My steering box leaks as well ... but ... only when I take off the reservoir tank cap to check the level.
It will leak about a 9" wet spot and then stop.
I quit checking the fluid level.

Just my experience on my '90.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay i still have a power steering leak i know where it is coming from which is the top seal on the power steering box it is the seal where the steering shalf goes in my question is how do i disconnect the steering shalf and how do i get the top seal out?? please help the leak got sooo bad that regular power steering fluid would leak out in 2 days so i am using lucas power steering leak stop it did not stop the leak but slowed it down to where it takes two weeks for it to leak out!! and does the power steering pump have a pressure releif valve?

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

bump PLEASE HELP!!

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Bryan, no the power steering pump does not have a pressure relief valve. I think SafariRob's post is the answer. you either need to get it rebuilt or head to the junkyard. and as a side note, power steering fluid is similar to brake fluid, it is caustic and does not play well with auto paint.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Hey Kings, I don't mean to start another firestorm but the P/S pump does have a pressure relief valve. It's actually called a poppet valve. When you have the steering locked all the way in either direction and hear that screeching noise, that's the poppet valve releasing the pressure. On the subject of the steering box leaking, it's easier to replace the seals than going to a salvage yard and getting another box. You might end up with the same problem. The seal kits come with a break down of the box so it makes it just that much easier. Give it a shot. You'll learn something new and have a lot of satisfaction for your accomplishment. \:D/ I agree on replacing the hoses. It's part of the job.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

kings-x59 wrote:...and as a side note, power steering fluid is similar to brake fluid, it is caustic and does not play well with auto paint.
I didn't know that! I thought brake fluid was the only fluid in a vehicle that stripped paint. I guess I've been lucky so far, I'll be more careful with p/s repairs in the future!

Learn something new every day, right?
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Smiliesafari wrote:Hey Kings, I don't mean to start another firestorm but the P/S pump does have a pressure relief valve. It's actually called a poppet valve. .
No problem, If I post something incorrect, please do correct me.
Lord knows I've certainly done things the hard way before.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

UPDATE: I got the power steering leak fix it cost me $184 and i got a 1year /12,000 mile warr. with it and know it does not leak and the noise it was making before that sounded like a pressure releif valve going off has stopped too!! i am really happy :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :drinkers: :drinkers:

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

congrats!
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's