Rear Sway Bar Installed, Belltech

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Rear Sway Bar Installed, Belltech

Post by meetthespeakers »

I ordered the Belltech Rear Sway Bar kit (BEL5528) from Stillen for $165, free shipping. I installed it 2 nights ago, so I snapped some pics this morning. I opened the box when I got home and everything looked good, so I decided I would try installing it at 6:30 at night in the driveway. Well it took me an hour and half total.... an hour plus was spent drilling the 4 holes on the frame. My drill bit sucked. Otherwise uber easy to install. All you do is measure 10"s from the back of the frame, and 3/4" up, and drill your holes to mount the bracket on. I removed the spare tire while installing, it made drilling easier on the passenger side frame. Oh, and the van feels great, doesn't feel like a blue whale going down the highway anymore.

1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear Sway Bar Installed, Belltech

Post by trybe13 »

Nice work. Lookin' good in the neighborhood! :guitar:
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Looks great and bet it does handle much better. :supz:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Thanks for the pics....still don't have mine installed yet...How's it handle now?
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Handles good so far, not as "floaty" in the rear. Got rid of some of the bounce as well. Next step for me is lowering the rear with the drop leafs I got and shocks. Should be solid in the rear then. :whistle:

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I just finished installing an Addco rear anti sway bar on my LS1 Astro. Didn't have to drill anything. Really easy install and I'm liking the result. Before when I'd nail the gas, the thing would really dive in the right rear and also on the shifts. Felt like a midget or sprint car looks when they gas it, ya know sometimes they pick the left front wheel right off the ground / track. That is how the 'Stro felt and when it would hook a shift about 80mph just as I'm pulling back into my lane in front of the car / cars that I just passed it was a bit much for an old gizzer to be comfortable with. NOW, it still sqats the rear a lot but it is even and feels W A Y better. Have no pics yet but I'll take some and send them to Larry and see if he will post them for me... Stan
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Here ya be Stan. Glad I could help.

Last edited by Rebel on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Do you have bigger pics?

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Hey,,,us old guys have a hard enough time as it is.lol

I'm not sure how to resize these for Stan. They came in an email and not sure how to do that.

VIDEO

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Prolly already seen these posted in other threads...here is my Helwig installed.

BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

89AstroDan
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 89AstroDan »

Hey WVKayaker & Rebel. I notice that your bar is located to the top of the axle unlike WVKayaker's which is located to the bottom. Is that because of the difference in manufactures or because you guys have a lift? I kinda like it closer to the top for clearance reasons.
89 Astro Shorty
3.73 G80

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Walker and Rebel ... have you guys no creeks / noises when wheeling with the sway bar in!? I thought that would be a bad idea for us lifted guys!!???
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I don't have a rear swaybar. Those were Stans pics of his install I posted for him.
I'll have to make some changes to mine. You may be thinking about the poly bushings I installed on the front swaybar. Not enough room between the frame and halfshaft hub to clear. Will either be a c-notch or try to change the mounting bracket on the hub.

VIDEO

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

no noises yet. I'll keep ya posted if I hear something tho. Stereo is always too loud to anyways..
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Thanks to everyone for posting the rear sway bar installation photos. Great job on the installed bars and good photos too. The Hellwig does look to be well made with strong brackets and powder coated bar. I normally like the high mount location of the Hellwigs. I have installed them on my 94 S10 Blazer and 94 G20 full size Chevy van, but for my 2003 AWD Astro, I am kinda leaning toward the Belltech. It looks like it would be pretty easy to make a quick release end link with a bushing for the Belltech so that the rear bar could be effectively "disconnected" when one was driving off road and it would then give the rear suspension more articulation for crawling over rough rutted roads. Does anyone know if Belltech alread offers for sale a dis connect type end link?

Astrophysics.