SOS from Europe-96 Astro with no drive in gears :(

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
coolcolly
I am merely driving my van

SOS from Europe-96 Astro with no drive in gears :(

Post by coolcolly »

Hi guys
Apologies for the sad first post but I'm in a fix - major problems and an immobilised van I've had to leave at a dealer 100s of miles away in a different country! I was recommended to this board from astrosafari.co.uk

(Long story short - weeks back I picked up my newly purchased Astro in the UK, a 96 with rounded dash and 4.3 vortec engine, and was driving it to my place in Spain when about half-way through the trip, in France after 100s of trouble free miles, with no warning, all gears did nothing - selected fine but would do nothing. Parking up one night there was a slight shudder and difficulty reversing just once for seconds, thought nothing of it, next morning drove away and 5 mins later all gears died whilst in "D" - no noise/bangs/clanks of any kind.)

So, now 100s of miles away from the van at home with the help of a French-speaking friend I need to verify what the garage its been left with have/haven't done and give them pointers, as they say they are "stuck" and don't know what to do - the translation of the report basically indicates they can't read the diagnostics. I think they are hung up on reading the computer/codes and don't seem to be able to, either through their equipment (Euro models are different maybe?) or lack of understanding...

Can you guys help?

What do they need to read the codes, and how to interpret them? (The garage is actually an official Chevy dealer so I'm surprised to have to be asking this for them!)

If they show nothing - what next? I'm assuming that all obvious physical checks on the fluids, box (for leaks), drive/prop shafts etc have been done but will verify. What should this list include?

Anyone know about the electronic aspect of gearbox control? Is it possible that this could be a chip rather than mechanical failure (there was no noise at all as the gears all died)?

Thanks in advance...

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Re: SOS from Europe-96 Astro with no drive in gears :(

Post by HPbyStan »

I had somewhat that same thing happen to my 2000 Astro last winter. Friends in the business said I should just replace the Transmission filter and oil. That sounded crazy to me BUT in that case, the oil seal between the filter and body broke and let the filter drop causing no oil to get to the transmission pump. I've never hear of that before but I dodged a bullit on that one and was back under way. Sure hope you can catch a break like that but it still seems kinda a stretch..
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

No, always go with the cheapest fix first.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I don't know if they use the same on board diagnostics systems over there. Might need to get a ODB-II reader from the US.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
coolcolly

Post by coolcolly »

Thanks for the replies. Dealer seems to be losing interest (as "grey" import model), his ODB-II hooks up and gives "nothing" and I am assuming he has done all the obvious checks such as fluid. Not sure what to think now -- given the engine runs fine but doesn't even try and pull or make any noises when shifting (like nothing at all is happening) could the electronics be suspect?
Does the ECM control shifting as the stick is moved, or is that handled elsewhere..

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

"I am assuming he has done all the obvious checks such as fluid"

Don't make that mistake. You already mentioned he isn't too interested. Do the simple things first and be sure of it. Get that pan off and check the fluid and filter. Do a visual inspection to make sure the cables and harness is hooked up with no muffler or hot parts touching them. Grab the drive shaft and try to twist it, listen for clanking, both for and aft.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

As much as it pains me to say it he won't know squat until he hooks a real bonne fide pressure guage up to the transmission. It sounds like either no fluid is getting in the trans, broken flywheel bolts, a broken input shaft (HIGHLY unlikely esp if it's quiet) or something similar. I'm with the guy that said fluid tbh.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Fluid volumn (pressure) is vitally important to how a transmission behaves,check what's been suggested you may get lucky,if it turns out the filter was o.k,make sure there is the proper amount of tranny fluid in there.Normally you would check when the tranny is warmed up and in park,since the van can't be driven just put it in park with your foot on the break run it thru the different ranges (do you feel or hear anything when shifting? ) put it back in park and check the fluid level,if nothing is showing on the stick then that could very well be your problem.Also notice the colour and smell of the fluid,is it a light cherry colour,or is it almost reddish brown with a burnt smell to it? let us know what turns out.

I know you said your travelling ,and its hard to perhaps see these things for yourself,so if you can't get there to do them,make sure the Dealer does.