rear mounted tire

Topic author
knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

rear mounted tire

Post by knucklehead »

ok i see some people on here have rear mounted tires and i want one badly. so how do you guys mount them where did you get the mounting kit? can you still open both doors all the way with you tire on the door?

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: rear mounted tire

Post by Cobra »

most of the ones you see re custom made not kits they reinforced the inside of the door then mounted a bent steel plate with the studs om the outside of the door.... i intend to get a setup on before i head to neco this year(hopefully). since i don't know all the details i'm sure one of the people who did it will chime in like lifted or peter
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

First of all, Mr Snake. I don't "chime in". I'm Petey. I take over threads, cause devastation and ruination. I hyjack threads, destroying the credibility of otherwise outstanding community members, ruin family relations etc....
"I be the loudest station in de nation, dontcha know..." he screamed in his bestest jamaican accent!
Chime in indeed, you yella-bellied, sap-suckin', lilly-livered, tree-huggin' pile a dog poo!! :swords:

Sincerely, your fellow canadian buddy

Petey :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

saw this on an earlier thread, about a month or so ago, was at least 4 pages, showing direrent set ups and options....... I liked the one that mounted and swiveled on the bumper hitch myself, will be looking for one later this year.......
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

ok petey not to be rude but for taking over the thread ruining families and att that jazz you talked about you didnt say anything actually about the thread.

and Moreforles where was the post you saw about a month ago so i can go look at the 4 pages of pictures and details.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

I just went to a junk yard and pulled one off of an old astro, took it home, cleaned it up and painted it. The whole thing cost me about $20US It looks great and works like advertised. The only reinforcement was what came with the original mount. I've had it installed for about a year now and have noticed no loosening or bending of the sheet metal. I also have an oversized tire installed on there. You can checkout the set up on my link below my signature. Hope this helps. :yikes:
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

9 dawgs thanks for the reply but ive already looked at your link and all it has on there is a picture which i have a lot of i want to see how it mounts. and i would get one from a scrap yard around my house but ive looked and there is no astros or safaris with rear mounts.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Ok, here's the process:

First you take the rear mount and hold it up to the door to mark the holes

Remove the rear door panel to gain access to the inside of the sheet metal

Drill the holes: top right hole 15.25 inches from bumper
top left 20.5 inches from bumper

I put electrical tape over each hole to prevent chaffing

Then fill each hole with sealant

Install the mount using the supplied bolts nuts and backing plate (inside right panel)

The outside holes next to the tail light were drilled into sufficient metal as to not require a backing plate. Hope this helps. Take caution when you pull the plastic cover to gain access to the inside of the door. There are a couple of plastic tangs at the top that will break easily.

Hope this helps. Just ask if you have any questions :cheers:
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

knucklehead wrote:9 dawgs thanks for the reply but ive already looked at your link and all it has on there is a picture which i have a lot of i want to see how it mounts. and i would get one from a scrap yard around my house but ive looked and there is no astros or safaris with rear mounts.
I've also found them on the internet for cheap. Here's a couple of links for you:

http://www.v-sales.com/vstirecarrier.htm

http://store.go-fast-parts.com/5701343.html
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

thanks for all the pics 9dawgs i got a couple more questions can you open your door all the way even to the side with the tire on or off? and how many bolts hold it on? and how big of a tire would you be able to mount i am playing on 32 inch tires on 16 inch rims.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

knucklehead wrote:thanks for all the pics 9dawgs i got a couple more questions can you open your door all the way even to the side with the tire on or off? and how many bolts hold it on? and how big of a tire would you be able to mount i am playing on 32 inch tires on 16 inch rims.
First of all, yes, I can open the doors all the way (with the limit arm in place) with the tire installed. If you "unlatch" the limit arm at the middle of the outside of the door to get extra swing, then you will have trouble opening to the full swing.

Second, the tire is held onto the mount with 2 bolts/nuts.

Third, I have a 235/70R15 on there. You have to remember that this particular mount is not made for large oversized tires. If you are planning on using a 32in tire :yikes: then you will probably have to got the route that Petey did with the custom fab mount with the heavy duty backing plates inside the door.
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

ok ill have to bug petey cause i already have the axles and the tires whihc are ready to be installed this summer

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

I was just surfin the net and I stumbled upon this wheel carrier for the 85+ Astro-Safari
Left or Right Door.

http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantire ... rriers.htm
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

I don't know where I saw it, but there was one that attached to the Ball on the hitch and would pivot out of the way so the door would open, I think it was for the barn doors, I'm not sure what would be helpful for Dutch doors.... maybe a hitch hall, with tire mounted under it of laying flat on it....? or sunk into it, so the left door would swing over it.....

Any fabricators out there...... might be the newest wave..........?
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Moreforles wrote:I don't know where I saw it, but there was one that attached to the Ball on the hitch and would pivot out of the way so the door would open, I think it was for the barn doors, I'm not sure what would be helpful for Dutch doors.... maybe a hitch hall, with tire mounted under it of laying flat on it....? or sunk into it, so the left door would swing over it.....

Any fabricators out there...... might be the newest wave..........?

hitchgate is cool and expensive. http://www.truckcandy.com/TC/TireGate/H ... _carrier_b

but thats what money is for.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.