Weekend following a Sportsmobile

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Weekend following a Sportsmobile

Post by T.Low »

The highlights of my weekend. Another 500 mile trip, this one with many miles off pavement.

Forgive me , my computer is acting out.

Betz, sorry for not getting back to you yet, but I've been away. I learned a few things this weekend about the Astro.

Here's some of the better shots to tide us all over until I can straighten out the situation and do a proper trip report.

I followed Brian in his Sportsmobile. He has a love of trains, and goes to great adventurous lengths to take wonderful photos of them. In this case, over the mountains to Eastern Washington. I found that it is quite fun to simply follow him around.
1.jpg

We were all very suprised at both my new found clearence and traction. Thanks go to Overlandvans Dan and Randy's Ring & Pinion (yes I love my 4:10's, and my Eaton posi has already won my heart and impressed onlookers) I pulled up to this just to check my approach angles. Brian said it looked fine, so I proceeded slowly. I crawled into the position you see in the photo and stopped as he checked my clearence again. He gave me the go ahead, so I eased it up and out without a single tire spin.
2.jpg
No explanation needed: the picture says it all. Well, okay, let just say that if I didn't go thru the water, I couldn't get to where I wanted to be (which was on the other side).
5.jpg

Monday morning, my coworkers wanted to know why my Astro was so dirty and why I had Perma-Grin on my face. :D
Stay tuned for more details.

Edit: At the risk of sounding like a Homer (read, Home Team lover- Astro guy on the Astro site, right?) I thought the Astro handled the water crossing (this was the biggest of four) better than the Toyota Tacoma with the factory option large tire/wheel setup. It was not the new current Tacoma, but the previous model. Although he made it without a problem, there was a split second of doubt when his back end started chattering about half way thru the crossing, its so light in the rear. The Astro showed absolutely no signs of stress. I could feel it was pushing a heavy amount of water, but it was steady and sure footed.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Weekend following a Sportsmobile

Post by phr1$k37 »

Tom you are killing me here!!!!
Thanks for the email hah ha as you can see I hoped on right away. Dude where are you getting your funds for all your stuff!?!? But hey told you those 4.11s with posi would make you smile!!!! I have the 3.73 and like I said I drove the lower gear ones and it just lugs :( I am sure you are happy.
Hey so ... if you are gonna start crossing water I hope you are getting your recovery straps, d-shackles and stuff soon!
BTW you have the wheel shields off right? When you look at your front wheels can you see your lines, engine and so on? Or the shields still on cause I was sure you removed them ... so did I and I was wondering how much dirt I am actually getting in there.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Livin' large T :bounce:

sub note : I removed my shields when I got my van and changed the plugs 40k ago and have not had any neg issues.

also did you go from 3.73 or 3.42 and what was the change in your gas mileage ?
Thanks, Dune
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Great pics! Makes me really want to get Grumpy prepped for off roading.

T.Low, I really wish your signature had van specs. Must emulate.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Be VERY careful off-roading with your van unless you've installed a skid-plate under your t-case because it didn't have a protection. I've cracked the t-case on my S-10 Blazer that way.
Awesome pics, by the way :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Another great post and pics from T.Low!

And yes, what dunedog asked?
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

So, you boys just figured it would be quicker ( and more fun ) to just drive over the mountain as apposed to how the regular folks do it :D The 4.10's are sweet aren't they

Great pics, looking forward to the rest of the story :supz:

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

dunedog wrote:Livin' large T :bounce:

sub note : I removed my shields when I got my van and changed the plugs 40k ago and have not had any neg issues.

Thanks, Dune

Thanks Dunedog ... I have not got any major issues yet but I ask because well they were there for a reason hah ha.

Nono, I have the 3.73, T.Low has the 4.11!!! >.<
As for specs, besides the Rancho 9000sx, 4.11 and 30" tires I think him and I are setup the same. But I should shut up now and let him reply :D
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Will respond later, late for work now!

IMG_1845 500.jpg
IMG_1850 500.jpg
IMG_1853 500.jpg
ImageImageImageImage

midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by midnighthunder89 »

Still love that van. I want to be out west so bad....
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Tom you are killing me here!!!!
Thanks for the email hah ha as you can see I hoped on right away. Dude where are you getting your funds for all your stuff!?!? But hey told you those 4.11s with posi would make you smile!!!! I have the 3.73 and like I said I drove the lower gear ones and it just lugs :( I am sure you are happy.
Hey so ... if you are gonna start crossing water I hope you are getting your recovery straps, d-shackles and stuff soon!
BTW you have the wheel shields off right? When you look at your front wheels can you see your lines, engine and so on? Or the shields still on cause I was sure you removed them ... so did I and I was wondering how much dirt I am actually getting in there.

Phr1$k, my man, here's a quick break down. For the last year or so, I have been going about this vehicle acquisition and build like a Project Manager. My Dakota was paid off back in '03. I sold it before Chrsitmas for $8500, bought the Astro for $9k; thats only $500 out of pocket. :yawinkle: I am 43 yrs. old with a good job and no kids. I had $10k in my recreation account. I was gonna plunk down $20k on a used 2006 Corvette Z06, but, as much as I love that car, I realized that I would actually utilize a shuttle rig a lot more than a Corvette. So, yeah, now the gears and the posi are eating into my pop top budget. Hmm.

After Brian drove thru the water crossing in his deisel powerred Sportsmobile, he suggested it was heavy enough pushing the water that maybe I shouldn't do it. I suggested that he comeback across again and get behind me where I have recovery points, as I still don't have them in front. That way, if I didn't make it, he could wade out and hook up to my rear end and pull me back to dry land. After he was thru rolling in the dust and laughing his arse off at the "he can wade out into the water" part, he calmly asked if I brought my snorkle mask and fins, and some comment about "spare air" and my kayak wetsuit. Anyway, thats why the picture of the water crossing is from behind.

peter wrote:Be VERY careful off-roading with your van unless you've installed a skid-plate under your t-case because it didn't have a protection. I've cracked the t-case on my S-10 Blazer that way.

Yes, no doubt, and thanks for emphasizing that. I was real careful, in my opinion. I decided that it had been a successful, educational outing, and I was done pushing it. Brian climbed in and back out of this, and I scouted it with the idea that I was definitely not equiped to do it, and drive 4hrs back over the mountain pass. This has a water crossing at the bottom that begins with a righthand 45 degree turn. So the retrun trip would mean that you'd have to cross the water, turn, guesstimate you line of choice on big, steep, loose, jagged rock, with wet tires. I parked at the top and rode the last half mile to the end with him. The Sportsmobile crawled back out with narey a tire spin.
IMG_1874 500.jpg
dunedog wrote:Livin' large T :bounce:

Thanks, Dune
I had the 3:42 with an open diff. Brian and I were in hand held radio contact (until I can get a CB). On the frewway, my speedo said 70mph while his speedo (corrected by Sportsmobile) and his Scan gage both said 61mph. So I have to multiply my odometer mileage by 61/70 before I can get my mpg. Maybe tonite I can go fill up the tank to get my total gallons consumed.

Thanks for all the props guys. Brian and I are getting together this week to exchange pics: he, of course, took all the ones of my van, and I took all the ones of his van.
ImageImageImageImage

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hah .. ok I knew most of that except for the vette part >.<
Me thinks I should come down and play with you and B next time. Hey I have been posting some stuff on the PWNA site.
I bet those 4.11s are making you grin a lot. I dont know how much of a "umph" I would get going to them as I am 3.73 already. My mpg isnt that bad around 450kms to a 4/5 empty tank in the city running at 32-35psi on my tires.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

peter wrote:Be VERY careful off-roading with your van unless you've installed a skid-plate under your t-case because it didn't have a protection. I've cracked the t-case on my S-10 Blazer that way.
Actually, my biggest concern would be the oil pan. I've scraped mine on more than one occassion as it hangs down as low as the front crossmember. Dean made a great plate for his, (as did somebody else but I don't recall who), and maybe the pics are on this site somewhere?... (I read in Four Wheeler a few years back about using thick cutting board plastic for a skid plate because it would slide better. I thought that would be pretty slick [pun intended].)

Looks like a great trip!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

I might be wrong but I think it was Bill... LockDoc?
Hmmm plastic that is something to think about! and somewhat clear to see what is going on under there!

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Lock has one Dean made for him. =D>
Unfortunately he didn't get it soon enough :poke: as I remember sliced that oil pan pretty good.
Thank goodness for some sort of liquid steel or something to repair in the woods :cheers:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch