Would you buy it?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Would you buy it?

Post by NotDadsW41 »

OK here's the deal. I have a chance to pick up a 97 Safari 2wd, 115K miles, rear AC, factory CD. Pretty green ext. Grey cloth int. with quad buckets.

But there's a catch. It has a SES light on, won't go above 40mph and the dealer quoted $3K to replace the trans.

I think I can pick it up for $1K or less. I'm pretty handy and know I could swap the trans myself if needed. Or I could have someone do it for me, I am sure for less than the $3K quoted.

Whatca think?
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Would you buy it?

Post by ihatemybike »

I've seen low mileage trans go for less than $300 on the local Craigslist and they are fairly easy to swap on the 2WD vans. Find out what codes it's setting to is if there is anything else that needs attention. Give the rest of the van a clomplete go over and if it looks good, go for it.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

tim k
I am smitten with my van

Post by tim k »

the ses light probably has something to do with the transmission but test drive it up to autozone and have them scan it they do that for free

I paid 1000 bucks to get my transmission rebuilt

it really depends on if it is worth that
86 safari
96 astro cargo van
97 silverado (new toy)
01 awd safari

scootermcb
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by scootermcb »

IMHO that's a $300-$500 van. Definitely not worth $1k. Let's face it, who's gonna buy it (other than another Astro/Safari lover)???
Also, $3K is a hell of a lot for a tranny replacement. As an example, I had the tranny replaced on my wife's Caravan for $1200. I got a deal on the job-my work referred lots of work to him, and we did a cash deal-but regular price was $1800.
If that van is a RWD the job is easily within the realm of a do-it-yourself task. If it's FWD it may still not be too awful-but it sure ain't worth payin' $3k to have it done.
Just my opinion.
Good luck.
1989 Astro CS 4.3l 5 pass AM/FM 6CD player

1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Post by 1996astro »

I would find out what the codes are first. Could end up being an easier fix than a trans rebuild. A plugged catylatic convertor can make it not shift correctly or at all. Could be an electrical issue as the trans is electronically controlled. Is it grinding? How is the fluid? I bought my 97 for $1360 and put an engine in it. Depending on the condition of everything else sounds like a good buy.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

If you got parking space which I think you do - GO for it! :)
Also you being very mechanical why not? As well trannies in US must be cheaper. I need the rest of the Canadian folks to chime in but here to pay someone to do automatic tranny work $3K is consider a gift.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

If one came up here at that price of 1k or less,Id be all over it.
Most trans shops here will charge 2000-2800 for a rebuilt trans.
I would also recommend seeing what code is registering first.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

2000 to 2800$ for a rebuild on a tranny ???? Damn you west coast guys are getting the shaft !! & no vaseline either !!! :muhaha: :muhaha:
a rebuild here starts at 1250 & might get as high as 1800 $ depending on what HP goodies you want put in it . you can even get them on line from florida for half what you guys are paying !! #-o #-o #-o
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

A 97 in nice shape , even if it did need a tranny , i'd grab it !!!!!
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

CD, like the others have said already, I'd pull the codes and take it from there, but I tend to agree with Scooter on the price considering that the van is 11 years old and hosed.

'Course, the real issue here is that you don't have enough vehicles in your stable yet! :D
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

SafariRob wrote:CD, like the others have said already, I'd pull the codes and take it from there, but I tend to agree with Scooter on the price considering that the van is 11 years old and hosed.

'Course, the real issue here is that you don't have enough vehicles in your stable yet! :D

Dito with Rob said.I think it is heavy on the price.Go with what you know for sure that the tranny is bad.Work a better price and maybe,just maybe you'll get lucky it's not a bad tranny.

Yeah,I got to thin the Astro herd here too after the V8 swap.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

dilly
I get chills without my van.

Post by dilly »

man, you guys are cheap! my boss bought my 2000 astro for $2500cdn with 220,000kms on it and we both thought that was an absolute value. and his 97 awd safari was the same price but had 270,000kms on it
95 safari awd-2" overland lift,29" ATs on 15x7 chrome truck rims
2000 astro 2wd g80-company truck/work van

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Yep, Dilly, cheap=me!
At least when I am considering buying a vehicle, that is.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Thanks Guys! I've decided to pass on this van. Too many unknowns, too far away (250 miles).

Plus the wife has made the comment that she is getting tired of driving the van to work and fighting the cross winds where we live now. We moved last fall and now live in Central NE. So another two wheel drive van is just not what we need. A decent AWD van to haul all of the family and a small AWD car for the wife to drive is probably what I will start looking for...

If any one is in south central KS, near Wichita, I can offer contact info for the owner of the van.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!