AWD and spare tire ...

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

AWD and spare tire ...

Post by phr1$k37 »

OK folks - who here with AWD actually rotates the spare tire on to run it down with the other four?
Also for the more knowledgeable and I think this was posted somewhere how far off should tire size / thread to make it a nono to mount that spare tire on?

Why am I asking. Well I have new tires - new spare from a while ago and that spare has not touched dirt yet LOL. The thread will be full thread compared to the rest so if I ever put it on will it throw problems due to unmatched sizing?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: AWD and spare tire ...

Post by ihatemybike »

If you are going to have a matching full size spare might as well rotate it too. That way you don't have to worry about it if you put it on far from home and with a 6000 mile rotation schedule the tires will only have 24K miles each after 30K miles traveled.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

How bad would it be?
Matching tire size ... yes ... matching wheels - no >.< I will look like the folks whom I shout out the window "Go get your tire fixed you lazy bum!" :poke:
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

It might not be that bad, but rotating it means that there will never be a problem. Plus the spare will age, you might be able to replace the main tires a few times before the spare ever sees daylight. You may not even get to use it during the rubber's useful life. Might as well get your money's use out of it.

Your pics show that you are running the stock alloy wheels, you could probably find another matching rim at a bone yard.
Last edited by ihatemybike on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

ihatemybike wrote:Your pics show that you are running the stock alloy wheels, you could probably find another matching rim at a bone yard.

I will keep looking. It isnt easy to find this one as I have been looking. When I have they have been wrapped already :(
Well ... anyone with an RWD open-diff want to help me out!? :D

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Aaron

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Go here for related topic

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1098
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I'll also keep an eye out for one when I head to the yards around here. We could do a person to person shipment and save you brokerage fees, duties, or whatever gets charged to commercial stuff crossing the border. Just PM me a number to call while I'm at the yards.
Aaron

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

WVKayaker wrote:Go here for related topic

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1098

Thanks for linky WVKayaker but my question is slightly different. BTW I answered twice in your post lol.

My question is that I do have matching sizing but how far off in thread depth till I get the bad shakes. AWD, G80 '97 (no ATC fuse). Yesh Sir.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

ihatemybike wrote:I'll also keep an eye out for one when I head to the yards around here. We could do a person to person shipment and save you brokerage fees, duties, or whatever gets charged to commercial stuff crossing the border. Just PM me a number to call while I'm at the yards.

Wow seriously!?!?!
Keep an eye out for 6 please ... ROFL PM sending in a few clicks!

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

So you want two complete sets with matching spares! Getting greedy eh? I'll see what I can do. From the photos it looks like your rims have the gray trim. If I can find that many do they all have to be gray or are you willing to paint the second set of 5 to match each other?
Aaron

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LOL one first ;p
But if by chance that freaking happens ... then I might be back to storing tires and that set being the 30" over my LT235/75/15 :D

Yes mine are the grey ones - jump on my website linky. :D
I am already 15000km-20000km out on the spare tire >.< That spare tire has the original blue and red lines down the thread!!!! CRAZY eh!?

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Thanks for linky WVKayaker but my question is slightly different. BTW I answered twice in your post lol.

My question is that I do have matching sizing but how far off in thread depth till I get the bad shakes. AWD, G80 '97 (no ATC fuse). Yesh Sir.
[/b][/color][/quote]

gotcha!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

The new tread on the spare compared to the used tread on the other tires wouldn't be enough to make a difference due to the circumfrence of the tire you would be just fine it will not screw up your AWD. Now if you had a posi on the back it might make a difference over the course of miles of straight freeway driving. For around town stuff it shouldn't have any effect as the tires are always going different speeds due to cornering.

If you had a G80 and very worn tires and a flat in Chilliwack I would put the good new tire on the front with the open diff and put a worn one on the rear before running a few hours down the highway. The other answer to your problem is give the tire to Rocke or Sanj for a few minutes and let them chew it off so it is the same size as the others. O:)
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Kidhauler wrote: The other answer to your problem is give the tire to Rocke or Sanj for a few minutes and let them chew it off so it is the same size as the others. O:)

Just perfect!!!
But wait wont my tire on their open diff be the one that DOESNT spin? >.< guess we can just block up the other tire first \:D/

Hmm if you are sure it wont be that bad then yes I will do that - if it goes in the rear when I get back to highway switch them up. But will that cause the poor AWD to keep going to AWD and heat up and then I will be forever AWD due to plates welding in? :sick: