fuel pump replacement tips ?

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

fuel pump replacement tips ?

Post by crash »

well the fuel pump on the 99 finally died. over a year of the dancing gauge needle has come to an end. the ironic thing is that the needle steadied out and read correctly, the hesitation disappeared totally today and there was over an hour of carefree driving once the problems vanished.

i have the van back at home... when i turn the key i get no more fuel tank hum.

I'm going to start dropping the tank tomorrow but, won't be able to get my hands on a pump until monday afternoon. any tips/shortcuts or tricks would be really appreciated.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: fuel pump replacement tips ?

Post by crash »

just for sh!ts and giggles i decided to try it one time this morning. turned the key. the normail "humm" from the pump was more like a "groan humm squeek" then I turned the key and it fired right up and was running as smooth as silk.

I'm not driving it anywhere and I'm not working on it today until I sort out a few other things monday. In the meantime.. let the information flow :whistle:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Siphon all the gas out of the tank first, fit a Genuine Chevy AC Delco pump and change the fuel filter (use any brand)

I replace fuelpumps every week at my work from cars dragged off the freeway, and they always have clogged fuel filters, which makes the pump work harder.

Change your fuel filters every 20k guys, for fuel pump longevity and change your fuel pumps at 100k, fit only AC Delco pumps ( more expensive but worth it )
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Also, replace the fuel pump relay.

And.....
There are LOTS of hints and tricks as related to the FP replacement.
I know ... I written a few.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Water Boy wrote: And.....
Care to share?? :poke:

I recall reading that some have used a floor jack with a board to slowly lower the tank part-way down,then reach up and disconnect the lines,sorry I can't add anything else its the 1 and only thing I've had done in a shop.

Bikehater was going to do a "how to" with pics on this,but I don't know if he was able to get it done or not.

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

so far so good guys... thanks. like zam mentioned .. I was leaning more towards do this, then that, it'll look like you need to do this but don't ... etc etc ...

other than the fuel pump relay in the box next to the battery are there any others?

i just tried to turn it again and there was nada this time.. all was quiet in the backend.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Ya some tips would be great!

I've got a new pump sitting in my van because the old one is making funny noises and the van is stumbling but I need a flat place to change it since my driveway isn't level and I'm guessing I need to jack the rear of the van up. That and I'm just terrified of breaking a fuel line....
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

astrozam wrote:
Water Boy wrote: And.....
Care to share?? :poke:
Found these previous postings ... but I KNOW I've done more detailed ones. Just can't seem to find them. Either I'm not any good at "search" or I have no past.

I've used the rag and tubing and compressed air method to "push" out the fuel from a tank.

I always use a Sharpie and write the date and mileage on the filter after the install. No need to clog the brains with useless information once it is written down.

There are lots of written help here to make the job less painless and quicker. I know, 'cause I posted when I did mine. The best part was using buckle straps to lower and raise the tank. Dang it, Water Boy why can't I find your post on this? Yea, me neither. I looked thru 22 pages of my stuff a...

On my 90 there were jam nuts between the frame and the tank straps. I ground down an open end wrench thinner to reach in to the jam nut.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

astrozam wrote: I recall reading that some have used a floor jack with a board to slowly lower the tank part-way down,then reach up and disconnect the lines.
This is a very good proceedure to do.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I've got a bunch of photos and video, but I haven't compiled anything yet.

I do all this with the van sitting on it's wheels, only time I need a jack is to raise the right rear corner when I pull the fuel tank out from underneath.

1. Lighten the tank by removing fuel. If it's already a quarter tank or below you can skip this. Easiest way is to let the weak pump do it's job. Remove the fuel filter, push a tight fitting hose on the tank side of the line with the other side in a gas can. I prefer a plastic can that I can see the fuel level by back lighting it. There should be a jumper near the battery that will activate the fuel pump when connected to the battery's positive terminal.

2. Remove plastic shield on drive shaft side of the tank. It was missing on my '97.

3. BP Blaster or similar the fuel tank mounting strap bolts.

4. Disconnect the fuel lines. The connections are located near the body when looking up between the drive shaft and tank.

5. Ratchet straps. Hook these to the van's "frame" in front and behind the fuel tank's mounting straps. You want to have the straps ratcheted but still loose under the tank. Idea here is when you unbolt the tank the straps hold the tank just before the bolts come completely out.

6. Disconnect the fuel filler tube. Two Torx head bolts by the gas cap, one bolt that holds it to the body, and a pipe clamp. Takes some wiggling.

7. Unbolt and remove the fuel tank straps.

8. Lower the tank to the ground by slowly releasing the ratchet straps.

9. Raise the van to clear the tank.

10. Slide tank out from under van.

11. Disconnect fuel lines from fuel pump's top.

12. Remover fuel pump retaining ring. This was a snap ring on my '97 and '99 and a twist-lock on my '94. Don't remember what the 2000 had. Be warned, on many of these vans the fuel pump assembly is spring loaded.

13. Inspect the inside of the tank.

14. Reverse to install.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

ihatemybike wrote:I've got a bunch of photos and video, but I haven't compiled anything yet.
Well, when you get a chance to look after that,add the info above and we will pin it. :cheers:

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Guess I'm a little overly cautious but I'd use something like a brass punch or end of hammer handle to remove and reinstall lock ring. Don't want any sparks.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

The only hickey you might run into really is if any of the fuel or vent lines have welded themselves to the fittings. I struggled with one stubborn hose far to long. Finally cut it and went the autoparts store to get a replacement.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

ihatemybike wrote:....
5. Ratchet straps. Hook these to the van's "frame" in front and behind the fuel tank's mounting straps. You want to have the straps ratcheted but still loose under the tank. Idea here is when you unbolt the tank the straps hold the tank just before the bolts come completely out.
8. Lower the tank to the ground by slowly releasing the ratchet straps.
...l.
Cam buckle straps are much easier than ratchet type.
Both, going down and going up.

I didn't have to raise my 90 to drag the tank out from under the van.

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

looks like all these tips will be very helpful. i'll be honest though. I checked with a local guy that ended up doing the pump change for me so cheap I couldn't pass it up. my list of to-do's was long enough for my 3 days off. as it is other than a little yard work I've been working on the 93 and will finish by removing the dangling rear sway bar and installing the new heater valve & t-stat tomorrow...
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT