a/c temperature at dash vents

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

a/c temperature at dash vents

Post by 92astro »

i have a 1992 astro so what should the a/c temp. coming out of the vents on max a/c mode? also can i put in a electric fan for the a/c which it would only come on with the a/c is on but i will still keep my clutch fan can i do this? and how?
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: a/c temp.

Post by peter »

I believe it should be down around 40-45* I know it's much colder than in a typical land-based a/c system, which is usually at 55*F.
Most definitely, you can use an electric to run while the a/c compressor is on. It'd definitely help slow-speed traffic a/c performance.
Run a fan on the front side of the condenser, feed it thru a relay which gets its control signal from the a/c compressor voltage. Run a wire from the battery to the switching contacts of this relay and Bob's your uncle :smurf:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Southern

Post by Southern »

The average A/C air discharge temp should be between 36 - 43 Deg F provided the temp of the air entering the condenser is between 70 - 90 Deg F. This info is from the factory manual.

My 92 still blows cold air with the factory R12.
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

see when i checked the temp. out of the vent it was 53.8f that was before i fix the vacume leak for the a/c controls where the air was going to the defrost, floor and face vents. i will have to checked the temp. since the air vents are working!! it does chill the van down very quick even after IT HAS been sitting in the sun for a couple of hours so i know it is working. i am gonna check the temp. when i have the a/c on max a/c.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I recommend that you buy a set of cheap guages like these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92649 so that you know what pressures are going on inside your A/C system to help us diagnose your problem further.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Southern

Post by Southern »

Those gauges won't work on his 92 if he still has the original R12 freon. The connectors will only work on the R134 systems, there are no quick disconnects on the older R12 systems.
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Oh, you still have an old R12 system.....? You are gonnna need different connectors then.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

my a/c is not r-12 anymore, i converted it to r-134a and i really don't have a problem with the front a/c it blows ice cubes :cheers: so it works great the air is colder than it was with the r-12. the temp. pulles down pretty quick some people say they had bad results with r-134a retrollfit, but my came out better than the r-12 :bounce: only thing wrong up front is the high speed does not work i know it is the relay i just have not replaced it yet. but my rear a/c does not blow cold the liquad line going back to the rear is hot there is no rear heat. i have not done anymore checking yet but will.

Topic author
92astro

a/c temps.

Post by 92astro »

my a/c in my 1992 astro seems to be working really good today in oklahoma it was 100 degrees plus well i used my a/c i put it on max a/c and blower on med high cause high speed i need to replace the relay but anyways i checked the temp. coming out of the vents it was 50 degrees after about 5-6 mins of driving on the highway then tonight i did the same thing but after it got pretty cool arould 50 degrees again i turned the fan down to med. the temp. went down to 48-47 degrees what do you all think?

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: a/c temps.

Post by peter »

Although I've been in the HVAC field forever, my specialty is commercial/industrial, so I'm not too familiar with automotive applications. I know that the air comes outta there damn colder than 50* when the outdoor temps are in the 80's. So maybe 50* is normal for 100* weather.
And it is normal for the air to come out colder with less airflow. :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
92astro

Re: a/c temperature at dash vents

Post by 92astro »

yeah that was the temp. have only driven 10 min and it was 120 inside my van when i started the a/c it droped to 50 degrees or soo within 3-4 miles!

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I did install a pusher fan on the front of my condenser to help out the ac. I made custom brackets, hand bent an ac pipe, relocated my trans cooler, it was awesome. I posted a write up on it in the how to section when it was finished about a year ago, but now it's gone?
Sadly I can't report on how it affected the ac performance because I still need a new compressor, but I fully expect that it will be awesome ...once I replace that compressor...
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

6spd_monte wrote:I did install a pusher fan on the front of my condenser to help out the ac. I made custom brackets, hand bent an ac pipe, relocated my trans cooler, it was awesome. I posted a write up on it in the how to section when it was finished about a year ago, but now it's gone?
James, good news/bad news, your memory is still intact :D you did in fact upload that project to our H2 section, the bad news is... that was our OLD H2 section, the good news is I have a copy of that project because I made a back-up
of all those old H2'S... the bad news is I'm lazy and all the info from the old H2'S has to be moved over manually,which can be painstakingly slow.The good news is... YOUR STILL ALIVE AFTER THAT HORENDOUS MTB ACCIDENT and therefore... I will move your H2 to the top of the list for transferring over to our new H2 ( Tech gallery ) sometime in the next few days when I get a chance :cheers:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Bad news...zam just got another case of Canadian! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Bad news...zam just got another case of Canadian! :muhaha:
LMAO :cheers: