door pins & bushings

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
dj_joker_2002
I finally get the smurf thing

door pins & bushings

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

My drivers door needs new pins & bushings, so I bought them but I have no clue as to do the top pin & bushings. The problem is the spring, I can take it out but how do I get it back in there? Is there a special tool for this? If so whats it called? Mark

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: door pins & bushings

Post by Rileysowner »

There is a tool to do that. I just purchased one at princess auto (Canadian company) for a pretty cheap price. I would guess that others out there have them as well as it isn't that involved of a tool.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

If you don't buy the tool and just can't stand the wait and decide to take the spring out, be very carefull. It's not your Grand-Mother's spring. Does pack some terror if it hit you in the head. I don't have the tool myself so what I have done in the past is get a large screwdriver, hold thick rag over the spring and pop it out. The rag is to catch spring and also to keep it from bouncing off your head,,which you will know for sure if it hits it. As far as putting it back in,,compress in vice, use steel wire to keep it compressed after removing from vice, install and cut wire to release spring. Oh yea, put the rag back over the spring while cutting wire and be sure the wire is strong enough to keep spring compressed. When you compress and wire spring, don't compress as far as it will go, jsut enough to fit back in. If you compress to much and cut wire it may not seat in the proper place and fly across the garage or possibly wind up in your nose.
Be carefull and good luck.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

funny i pulled mine outta the passenger side door no problem ... how did i do it i have no idea after i got it out i was playing with it holy molly that thing can move rebels right have a rag covering it so it'll stop it
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
dj_joker_2002

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

OK I will atempt this project asap. Thank you for the advice!

BOINGGGGGGGGG! lol

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I have had to do mine for a long time as the pins are to the point that they slip out :( So far I have just carried a hammer and long screwdriver with me to hammer them back in when the slide out enough.
Jim

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

mine are rusted to the point that i can barely recognize them.... almost scary...
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Good pointers Reb. I've had a screwdriver launched by a leaf spring hit me in the eye, handle first fortunately. I have a very healthy respect for the power of springs now. ( and the continued use of my right eye as a bonus )
I think when I do mine, I'll get the special tool. I have quite a collection going now anyway.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

From my previous posting.....
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Finally did the pin thing.

I used 2 2x4 on the roof and tied the other end to the passenger side roof rack rail so the working end is fully adjustable. I added the 2 other 2x4's to get the needed lift. I used 4 sets of cam-buckle straps since one was not long enough, so it was 2 per hanger. This set up also made it very adjustable. I did loosen one end of the boot to get it out of the way of the upper pin and to give the needed stretch when the door was free-hanging..

I thought I could do one at a time but the door won't move out of the way enough to remove the bushings.

I don't have a fingered spring compressor so I just used a big screwdriver and popped out the spring.

As for the tabbed retainer ring, I just pried it off the pin.

Had to tap the pins out part way. Near the head it is ribbed for fit. After that, I just used my fingers to remove the pins.

I used a screwdriver to punch out the bushings.

Got the pin kits from Auto Zone. They were located in the HELP section. #38407

As I said, I did not have a spring compressor so used a worm gear clamp to compress the spring to get it back in. I initially tried to just jam/cam it back in but it would not go for me. I don't have vise so I used a bar-clamp to compress the spring.

The pin kit did exactly what I hoped it would do. The door does not rub the "Nader" bolt anymore.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

good post Waterboy. Did you replace one pin at a time, or did you pull both and install the new pins?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Water Boy, Great post. I'm going to have to put this together for myself.
Last edited by LiftedAWDAstro on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed pic posts
Jim

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Not a bad idea using the hose clamp to keep spring compressed. I'd be sure to use the stainless clamps like you did and not the cheap aluminum ones. I'm sure they would probably strip and allow spring to be launched across the garage.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

kings-x59 wrote:good post Waterboy. Did you replace one pin at a time, or did you pull both and install the new pins?
I think I did both apart.

Since I did that ....
I've drank beer....
I've drank coffee....
I've had sex....
So I'm not real sure now but I think it was one at a time for safety reasons.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Rebel wrote:Not a bad idea using the hose clamp to keep spring compressed. I'd be sure to use the stainless clamps like you did and not the cheap aluminum ones. I'm sure they would probably strip and allow spring to be launched across the garage.
When I first posted that spring pic, I got busted pretty hard (by some members here) for using that method.
Something about poking my eye out and getting hairy palms.
Anyway, if I do it again I will use the special spring tool.

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

I replaced the pins and bushings on my blazer, did exactly what you did with that hose clamp, but when I went to take it out, it was beech!spring opened up and actually trapped the hose clamp..Almost had to take the spring back off.The first side I did ,i just used a big prybar,now the inside of my door pillar is scratched to hell and a couple od little dings..Wife wasnt happy about that,at all !! #-o
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news