Computer issues-S.O.S. help

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Computer issues-S.O.S. help

Post by GEJ »

My 350 TBI with 1995 heads and intake and 1996 short block has a high idle issue.It is still in the donor van because I want to resolve this before the swap.We have tried to scan the computer and the results are it will not commucate with the scanner.The TBI has cop car injectors lifted.We tried to swap in another computer and still the same thing.We swaped the heck out of it and did not find any vac leaks. ](*,)

I wanted to fix this between the 27th and the 4th so I could take out the engine and trans to prepair it for the swap to Ole Yellar.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1989 Astro and what wire controls the idle??.I'm thinking I have a break in the wiring harness somewhere.Or it was miss-wired by the past owner.

The other thing going on is it does turnover quite afew times before it starts.It does run very strong other than the high idle.

Guys and gals-I do need your help on this one and I am completely open to all and any suggestions.I need to set a base line from which to work from for any further mods.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Computer issues-S.O.S. help

Post by kings-x59 »

Gary, this isn't exactly what you are looking for but it's in the ballpark. http://www.autozone.com has repair guides for vehicle models up through '96.
the link below is for my '89 4.3L, it'll give you an idea of what they have online.
http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repair ... 52800a824a
You should be able to find the wiring diagrams for your 350.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Thank You for the links.I am not sure I am even asking the right questions. I mean without computer codes I am doing this blind.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Gary, I have the factory wiring manual for the 89 Astro. The book is large format, though, and it won't fit on my scanner. I'll xerox the engine control section and get that off to you.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

check the site out, they have the wiring diagrams for engine controls, emissions and chassis all there
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I will study those links and treat each wire on it's own.Seems like a big job until you scale it down to each wire I would guess.

But that will only I.D. why I can't scan the computer I would think(best guess)Still not sure why I have the high idle.What would be a list of sensors that could cause that??.Temp,02,??.Remember I did spray the heck out of it and never found a vac leak.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

My gut reaction is the idle air control valve. either malfunctioning or the pintle is sticking.
I've added the IAC to my regular maintenance. I periodically pull it and clean the port and the pintle. It's not hard to get to.

name's Steve

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

other thoughts and questions:
I've had a sticky throttle plate produce a high idle.

Is the engine at operating temp or cold when idling high?

name's Steve

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Gary, does the service engine light work? have you tried the paper clip to jump the AB terminals?
could be the scanner plug, or the contacts in the ALDL are munged up a bit and not contacting right.

name's Steve

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Could also be that the data link isn't wired correctly or wired into the system at all. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

kings-x59 wrote:other thoughts and questions:
I've had a sticky throttle plate produce a high idle.

Is the engine at operating temp or cold when idling high?
Both-it will come down some once at operating temp,but is still high.

kings-x59 wrote:Gary, does the service engine light work? have you tried the paper clip to jump the AB terminals?

I am going to try that.

could be the scanner plug, or the contacts in the ALDL are munged up a bit and not contacting right.
Smiliesafari wrote:Could also be that the data link isn't wired correctly or wired into the system at all. \:D/

I will trace that on Friday.The van is parked at a friend's repair shop which in a way kind of sucks to work on it.

Thanks guys,

Gary
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Wiring harness aside-looks like I'll be measuring sensor values with a VU meter.

Anyone have those values for this engine's sensors?.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

kings-x59 wrote:My gut reaction is the idle air control valve. either malfunctioning or the pintle is sticking.
I've added the IAC to my regular maintenance. I periodically pull it and clean the port and the pintle. It's not hard to get to.

I hear you loud and clear.I read another thread you where involved in the tech section about the IAC.I don't know what yr this TBI is because I believe this swap was miss handled by the owner before me.Is there numbers on the TBI that I could use to find out which yr this TBI is??.Thinking is a rebuild would be best just to be sure it was done the right way.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Gary,

Define "high" for me. What RPM are we talking about here? If you just guessing it's high, get a tach on there so we have an idea.

I seem recall my 91 p/u having what I thought sounded like a high idle. But watching the tach, not so much.

My 89 9C1 does the same thing.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Ok I am back on this issue.I am going back to reinstall the steering column tomorrow in the donor.Before I took it out for Ole Yellar,I started the engine and pulled the EGR connection off and it ran crappy like it is suppose to and cleared up once I put it back on and I pulled the IAC connector and it ran alittle higher like it is supposed to as well and when back down. some once I reconnected it. ](*,) ](*,)I am going to have a really clear view of the wiring harness for the date link connector before I put back the steering column.So I will take a hard look at that.

The other question is has anyone realized a higher idle after doing the TBI mod's.??Seems the the owner before me smooth out the ridges and did do some porting to the TBI.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer