Headliner questions

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Headliner questions

Post by SafariRob »

Anybody out there know a good place to get headliner material? Or, for that matter, how about suggestions for what type of material to use as a headliner.
I've got to do something about the ripped and sagging headliner in my 89. Presently, I'm using two slats of wood to hold the headliner up against the ceiling. I don't mind the look at all, but my wife keeps yanking down the forward most slat when she means to lower the visor. Nothing quite like having a piece of wood hit you on the top of the head while you're driving.
So, the slats have to go; it's past time to do it right and get the headliner back up against the ceiling where it belongs.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

I've never used this company, but I think it was Zam who posted the link on the other board and I just saved it for a rainy day.

http://www.autoupholsterykits.com

The prices look pretty reasonable.
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Trybe, thanks for the link; I'll be checking them out.
My wife and I went to a fabric and craft store, JoAnn Fabrics, to see what they had in headliner material. Great selection...NOT! All they had was a foam material, 54 inches wide, available in only black or gray for $11 a yard. I roughly guessed that it will take 3 yards, but I'm not sure that the width of the material is right--haven't measured up the van yet. Actually, the gray color would work with the blue interior of my van, so says the wife, anyway. Me, I've never figured out this color matching thing, so I'll take her word for it.
While there, I looked at the selection of spray on adhesives. One was a 3M product called Super 77, but it stated it was not for headliner use. The other was by Durobond (I think) and it was for high temperature applications. It further stated that it was formulated for use by the van conversion industry. Sounds like that's the stuff I'll need, but I intend to do some more research on the net before I start buying anything.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Please keep us informed on what you find out , i have 2 headliners that need to be done . 1 blue & 1 red .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

I just used those corkscrew buttons from the notions department at Walmart.
Kinda has the "diamond tuck" look now.
And very cheap too.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Skippy, this site http://www.wlsheadliners.com/ provided a lot of information. They offer a kit for around $66 that contains enough headliner material and adhesive to replace an Astro's headliner.
Good thing I didn't buy the material I found at JoAnn fabrics. That material was only 54" wide and an Astro needs 60" of width.
Waterboy, I'd need a lot of those corkscrew things to hold up my Astro's headliner because almost all of it is sagging down now. I believe I'm going to do a remove and replace operation on the old critter.
Rob Shaver

Astro95
I am smitten with my van

Post by Astro95 »

Make sure you get all the old foam off of the headliner board. That's what makes the material sag.
95 Astro 4.3 4L60E 3.42 Bilsteins/Timbrens
410,000 miles and counting

65 Chevy van 90" WB 305 700R4 3.36
garage queen rescued from the crusher many years ago

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

SafariRob wrote:Trybe, thanks for the link; I'll be checking them out.
My wife and I went to a fabric and craft store, JoAnn Fabrics, to see what they had in headliner material. Great selection...NOT! All they had was a foam material, 54 inches wide, available in only black or gray for $11 a yard. I roughly guessed that it will take 3 yards, but I'm not sure that the width of the material is right--haven't measured up the van yet. Actually, the gray color would work with the blue interior of my van, so says the wife, anyway. Me, I've never figured out this color matching thing, so I'll take her word for it.
While there, I looked at the selection of spray on adhesives. One was a 3M product called Super 77, but it stated it was not for headliner use. The other was by Durobond (I think) and it was for high temperature applications. It further stated that it was formulated for use by the van conversion industry. Sounds like that's the stuff I'll need, but I intend to do some more research on the net before I start buying anything.
Rob, When I was last at the Jo-Ann's here in Fort Fun, I recall they had a pretty good selection. That may have changed, as they probably sell the most of it in the spring. I need to get over there this week, and I'll look again. What color are you looking for? I'll also make sure they have the width. I could see what they have, and let you know if it is any help.

bri
2001 safari awd.
Hidden Hitch, Plate Tranny Cooler, computer tune-up via jet programmer.

located in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I have an uncanny ability to make my wife crazy, and I am not afraid to use it!

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Bri, the wife and I went to the JoAnn fabric in Defiance, OH. Definitely no selection there and the width was wrong, too. They had the 54" wide stuff, an Astro needs the width to be 60", so it really didn't matter about their selection.
Didn't think to check on the JoAnn fabric in Ft Wayne while we were there yesterday...I just assumed that they wouldn't have the necessary 60" width material. But if you happen to get there, I would like to know what they have.
By the way, my wife wanted to go to what we call "Harbor Freight Shoes"--it's actually Robertson's Shoes, but since it's the next door down from Harbor Freight on State St, I renamed the place. Strange, but true: She can easily outlast me while looking at shoes. No way can I stay in Harbor Freight a slong as she can stay in Robertson's Shoes.
Rob Shaver

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

SafariRob wrote:Bri, the wife and I went to the JoAnn fabric in Defiance, OH. Definitely no selection there and the width was wrong, too. They had the 54" wide stuff, an Astro needs the width to be 60", so it really didn't matter about their selection.
Didn't think to check on the JoAnn fabric in Ft Wayne while we were there yesterday...I just assumed that they wouldn't have the necessary 60" width material. But if you happen to get there, I would like to know what they have.
By the way, my wife wanted to go to what we call "Harbor Freight Shoes"--it's actually Robertson's Shoes, but since it's the next door down from Harbor Freight on State St, I renamed the place. Strange, but true: She can easily outlast me while looking at shoes. No way can I stay in Harbor Freight a slong as she can stay in Robertson's Shoes.
60" wide, but how long?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

I'll be at JoAnns one way or another by Thursday, and will let you know.
If you haven't been to the one in Fort wayne yet, you should make a visit. It is a nice new one, and has a lot of stuff. (ok, that sounded gay, sorry)

I went into "Harbor Freight Shoes" once. I priced a couple pairs of clarks, and determined thier prices weren't too fantastic on those.

I need to get over to Harbor frieght one of these days. I have a pretty good list going. Stuff like hose clamps can be had there for next to nothing!

One cool thing too, is if you are buying a fair amount of stuff, you can pressure the store manager into giving you sale prices that have occurred in the last 30 days.
2001 safari awd.
Hidden Hitch, Plate Tranny Cooler, computer tune-up via jet programmer.

located in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I have an uncanny ability to make my wife crazy, and I am not afraid to use it!

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

According to one website I saw, an Astro needs close to 3.5 yards of headliner material. I think that includes enough material to recover the visors, too.
By the way, Harbor Freight is having a "sidewalk sale" this weekend (actually starts the 6th at 8 am). I'm thinking seriously of getting the horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw for $150. Yeah it's a Chinese made cheapy, but I think it'll do fine for me.
Rob Shaver

ryanhettenbach
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by ryanhettenbach »

This place is pretty good and they'll send samples of whatever material you want. I plan on using them once it's time to do the interior of my 89.
http://yourautotrim-store.stores.yahoo.net/
1989 Cargo 5spd. Fiberglass Roof.
2002 AWD LS, white