Reverting suspension

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Reverting suspension

Post by Mr Singh »

Hi folks,

I'm looking to raise the rear suspension on my 97 Astro.

Due to go in is almost 3000lbs of Audio equipment. I have to increase the ride height!

I have purchased an Airlift suspension kit - http://airlift.iwebcat.com/imgVD/AIL/MN-320_59521.pdf for more info.

Don't have any history of the van other than what you see. It appears to have had a flip kit installed. I'm sure i need to revert this to stock setup. I don't have any of the OE parts that were removed when it was installed either.

What will i need to revert the flip kit back to stock? Shackles, U-Clamps.. anything else? If pics help i'll get them.

TIA

Am.
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Re: Reverting suspension

Post by TheChopFather »

If you remove the flip kit you'll gain 3" of lift by itself so would you need the airlift???
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Yes, thats what i'm wanting to do.

I want to remove the flipkit.

1) not sure how, i.e. what components need to be removed
2) what replacement items i would need

I've seen many astros with similar weight, and they all end up sitting on the bumpstops on stock rear suspension, hence why i bought the airlift to help with the extra load.
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

My Rear is flipped, and I like to roll low, but often I tow my 7k lbs boat using adjustable airshocks to get my ass end up again. You just adjust the pressure.

I can ship a pair to you if you need them.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Hi Darren,

Yes me too, i want to run low. I still don't get my van, the rear has a flip kit but i have something like 2.5" gap from the top of the tyrewall to the arch.. maybe its not a very low flip kit!

I already have bought a Airlift kit, the one i linked the PDF file to in the first post.. Along with lots of other goodies i had shipped on a pallet few weeks ago.

Will that kit fit with the flip kit installed?

Be Interested to see pics of your setup and how it sits with all the weight :)
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Any ideas if i can install the Airlift kit to a flip kit setup?

Darren, isn't that what you have done?
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Post by Hotroder383 »

I wouldnt see why you couldnt install the airide on the flip kit. Air ride replaces shocks and acts as a second "spring". The flip kit just puts the axle on top of the leaf instead of under it. Still have that low look but able to tow heavy stuff or keep your rear up with wieght. now you have a huge gap in your fender well because you have rubber bands for tires.=) Buy you some real tires and you wont have that problem. LOL <never was a big fan of the little bitty tire idea>
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Hotroder383 wrote:I wouldnt see why you couldnt install the airide on the flip kit. Air ride replaces shocks and acts as a second "spring". The flip kit just puts the axle on top of the leaf instead of under it. Still have that low look but able to tow heavy stuff or keep your rear up with wieght. now you have a huge gap in your fender well because you have rubber bands for tires.=) Buy you some real tires and you wont have that problem. LOL <never was a big fan of the little bitty tire idea>
Indeed, i was looking at 40 profile tyres instead of the 35s.. especially hauling 1.5tons around, blow outs wouldn't be cool :yikes:

My leafs aren't the composite type there the multi-leafs. So yes i guess we can install the airlift kit with the flipkit in place.. Just wondering how Darren did it since one of the supplied brackets doesnt look as though it locates how it should as if it were stock setup...

:-k
1997 2WD Chevy Astro