ScanGuage II on Princess

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

ScanGuage II on Princess

Post by phr1$k37 »

Been using the Scangauge for almost a week now and it is a great tool. I have onboard scan if my check engine light comes on (back in the day without tranny cooler ... it came on lol) and other gizmos.

Youtube video of ScanGauge the folks I called to order was very nice and I would recommended to buy direct from their website (scangauge.com) instead of saving $10-20 from a reseller. I paid $159 (special price) which included shipping. Sadly customs dinged me ~$35 BOOO.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: ScanGuage II on Princess

Post by T.Low »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Been using the Scangauge for almost a week now and it is a great tool. I have onboard scan if my check engine light comes on (back in the day without tranny cooler ... it came on lol) and other gizmos.

Youtube video of ScanGauge the folks I called to order was very nice and I would recommended to buy direct from their website (scangauge.com) instead of saving $10-20 from a reseller. I paid $159 (special price) which included shipping. Sadly customs dinged me ~$35 BOOO.

Shudda told Customs to "Scan this". Or atleast to scan NAFTA.

Sell me on a scanguage. What exactly can they do for me and my Astro? What do you like about yours versus the others out there? What more would you get if you spent a little more money? What impact do you think Marian Hossa will have on the Red Wings next season? How do you hook up a scanguage? Did the video answer any of these questions, cause I didn't watch it? (even though you watched my Z06 video, thank you very much! :partyman: )
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Good LordyO ... you are sooo into the Wings ... and there is nothing wrong with that brotha! Hossa knows what he is worth and he got it. Crazy eh? Anyways the Wings have always had good prospectives even if Hossa does do well they can easily have him replaced ... only the cap will hurt but the Cup is worth it more.

ScanGauge reports back mileage used, instantaneous, average, per hour, etc for today, current, previous or tank. Meaning it logs and keeps track of this all so you know what you chewing up - and when you are conscience of how much gas you are chewing up at the red to green light you can give up that get to 60kph in 7 seconds to 9 seconds and save back. Put it this way, watching the liters (or gallons for you) used for my 13km work drive and the next gauge which was "cost" and watching it ring up like a taxi made me think LOL. When I decided to smoke the V6-VW-SUV I saw some serious numbers ... HP shot to 235hp (cool eh?) but the LHK (instantaneous) was at a crazy 160L/100km LOL. Oops.

Yes it reports back HP (how accurate I am not sure) and TQ (but it isnt working yet ... my codes are wrong) temps at intake, water/coolant, tranny if equipped and MAS. I have been playing around with paper filters and K&N to see the difference and K&N does provide much better flow. I put on my offroad cone and pipe and as I suspected from the feeling it draws in MORE air than stock + K&N but it is warmer air by *ouch* 10C ... OUCH.

Oh did I mention it connects to your onboard OBDII? Simple - done ... just click it in and it is DONE. Which also means it works as a code scanner. $$$ if pays back fast if you every need one. I have a cheapy from China and the JetChip one. But this ScanGauge is hooked up to my truck, always there now.

Watch the video dude :p and then on the right hand side related videos you can watch more of the ScanGauge.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

I have 2 scangauges and 3 cables.

I researched and this unit gives the mostest for the leastest.
Other auto forums also give it a thumbs up.
I have not seen any real negatives about this unit.
And it is the only one that gives you 4 independent instantaneous readings.
Gotta go to their website.
http://www.scangauge.com
I bought directly over the phone from them.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I have one in my Astro as well, works great! Still want to find a good spot to mount it, so far its just stuck above the rear view mirror.

I ordered mine through a place in Ottawa, ON so there was no duties or anything. If anyone else from Canada is interested, I'll try to dig up the bill to get the website for you.

Scott

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Any of you get the TQ readings to work? :D

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Hey Scott, I think that place in Ottawa that you bought the guage was http://www.giffordautomotive.com/. I bought mine from I think it was Tom over there, great service, fast shipping. I would recommend him in an instant.

As for the guage I bought it primarily for the tranny temp function, and as a scan tool for if/when something goes south. As for milage and all that I just write down how many kilo I dirve on the back of the fuel receipt and enter into a spread sheet at home. Just started doing this again for both my vehicles so I don't have any solid numbers to report. All I know is my Mitsu Lancer Sportback get about double the milage of the Astro in the city. Highway is is better but still crap compared to the car, but then again the car cannot tow 5500lbs and haul 7 people! So not really fair....
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Does it show trans temps for my '97? If so I would seriously consider getting one.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

I don't know if tranny temps for a 97 are supported. I think (from reading previous forum posts) that the tranny temp sender is only in 99 and later models.... not sure - does anyone know for sure? One thing I can confirm is for a 2001 Astro the tranny temp works with the codes provided on scanguage website.
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

thevalleyboy wrote:I don't know if tranny temps for a 97 are supported. I think (from reading previous forum posts) that the tranny temp sender is only in 99 and later models.... not sure - does anyone know for sure? One thing I can confirm is for a 2001 Astro the tranny temp works with the codes provided on scanguage website.
the TFT or tranny fluid temp readout works with my 98. IIRC astro4x4 uses his in what I believe is a 97 and the TFT works for him.

Jim if you me and crash finally meet up at some point we can find out pretty quick by plugging mine into your van :yawinkle:
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

It would be great to get together sometime with other ASV people. There is always something that needs work on the van. What we need is an Ontario campout. :)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I never got the torque readout to work. I also tried it on my fathers Express van and it didnt show anything on that either.

How does the milegae readout compare on the scangauge to the one on your overhead console?

And a 97 will have the transmission temperature sensor as well. Im still not sure if the scangauge will connect to a 97 becuase in Canada they werent completely OBD-2 compliant. At least mine would not connect to my laptop properly. I've since gone to a 98 computer and wiring harness and it is fully compliant. Not sure if the scangauge would have the same problem, but worth checking first if you can.

Scott