radiator and dual fans

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
gabequest
I finally get the smurf thing

radiator and dual fans

Post by gabequest »

Hey Folks: Hope is appropriate to start a new thread...I've read all of em' that talk about cooling the V8. Just wanna double check with you guru's to see if I'm on the right track. I'm collecting parts this week, so I've been posting a bunch. Mine will be a stock V8 vortec.

Plan is to run the stock 98' rad with JEGS dual 12inch electrics (I believe they pull something around 2600cfm) Also bought the temp control harness/relay kit for a 180degree thermostat which is 185deg on/175deg off. Will also have the Tru-cool 11x11x? in front. Mine is lifted so dont wanna risk rock issue putting the Tru-cool under the van. I dont have the engine with me, so dont know my stat temp, but the JEGs rep seemed to think 180deg.

What do ya'll think?
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: radiator and dual fans

Post by peter »

I don't think that 2600 cfm will be near enuf, especially if you swap in an 8. Taurus fans have been quite popular here (though I'm personally not convinced they'll handle the load during bitchin' conditions. Meaning 90*F/100% humidity/hilly area with the A-C on while towing at least 2500 lbs).

I say nothing less than 4500 cfm. Flex-A-Lite sells a shrouded set-up, as do some other brands. Dual 'lectric 14 inchers
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I agree with Peter as usual. :-k 2600 cfm at most will be borderline and would be fine at 70 mph but stop and go I don't see how it will keep you below 215 or higher.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Guys,I have watched threads about the Ford dual fan deal for almost two yrs and considered it a solution to a problem.But on a really hot day towing,you are kind of stuck with what you built and without really knowing what cfm it is.Hummm- :-k :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Thanks for the input. I had the order changed before they sent it. Decided on the Dual Flx-a-Lite's (4600cfm) with my stock rad and a Tru-cool for the tranny.
Attachments
Front bumper.jpg
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I think you made a wise move. Overengineering never caused anyone to break down :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

With my 4.3L sitting in blazing hot summer traffic up here (90s) the Taurus fan works great and is supposedly ~2800 CFM. They are actually a very powerful fan, and draw near 30A continuous. Mine kept burning up Bosch "Cube" relays rated at 30A each, so I ended up using a Ford starter solenoid to carry the current. So far so good, now all I need to do is get a controller built I have designed it but not implemented.

While not a V8, if the fan is on the temp needle NEVER climbs. I have no A/C condenser either, so take that for what you will. But honestly, I don't even have the fan fully shrouded, nor do I have the panels installed below the bumper to push air through the radiator if I am moving. The fan is just close to the radiator I could easily get more performance out of it by completing the shroud that it should have in the first place. If you got the soft starter, I would definitely think that's a good move, I wish I had one to soften the hit when the fan switches on tbh.

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

peter wrote:... Overengineering never caused anyone to break down :supz:
I'm going to disagree on that point. I work on BMWs. Overengineering pays my bills!
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

I used the tauras fan on V8 s10, it didnt cut it sitting in traffic with the ac on.The Intrepid electric (dual) fans are suppose to work great on a v8 s10 so I dont see why they wont work on a astro, there alot more room in these jokers...
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

6spd_monte wrote:
peter wrote:... Overengineering never caused anyone to break down :supz:
I'm going to disagree on that point. I work on BMWs. Overengineering pays my bills!

While a contradiction, at least I now know why it costs so much to run/service a Beemer. :yawinkle:

Gad, but I hate those cars. Not so much the car, but what most peoplke buy them for. For me, a typical Beemer owner is a yuppie who buys this car to flaunt that he's got money. The kinda money a Mercedes or Bentley owner has. If I had to buy a german car, it'd be a Mercedes without a doubt. The new SLS? 550? gimes me a willy everytoime I see one. As does the Bentely GT (and yes, I know that the Bentley isn't german).
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i wouldn't mind getting an audi r8 if i need to fluant some money plus looks like alot of fun

we're pretty offtopic right now.....
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Thanks, of course, to me..... :whistle: :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Well...with the swap done, so far my dual flex-a-lite fans are doing well. I am still trying to dial in the setting with the little adjuster screw, cuz most of the time the fans kick around 190-200. Thats an estimate based on the stock temp gage. Driving up hill around 70mph, the temp crept almost to 2/3 of the gauge. Also, when I shut er down, the temp climbs to 2/3 of the gauge (the fans are on at this point). Is there any real danger hear? that is...with the temp climbing during either situation?

I'm still running the stock rad, but the fans pull 4600cfs. What do ya'll think?
2004 Astro AWD

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

What's "2/3"? Running a stock 4.3, I'm surprised that the temps went up too much climbing a hill. My temps will climb slightly on the highway in the mountains of New York (around 210*F), but that's while pulling 2500 lbs of trailer and the truck fully loaded with the a/c on. Nothing to worry about, but I'm surprised that your temps rise much condisering you're not pulling anything.
You sure your cooling system is clean? That includes rad flush, washing out the bugs from the core etc...
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Woops...I meant 3/4 of the guage. I'm using the stock 4.3 rad with my 5.7....and was a bit surprised the temp climbed. Maybe I'll check the bug factor.
2004 Astro AWD