LATCH - baby seat anchors

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

LATCH - baby seat anchors

Post by thevalleyboy »

So does anyone have a newer van equipped with the "Latch" system. LATCH stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children. My 2001 is not equipped with it, however I am wondering if it would be a simple go to the junk-yard find the parts and install on my older van.

So what I am asking is anyone with a newer van equipped with Latch - can you post a photo of the attachments - or offer your opinion? Are they built into the seats or just an add on bolt down bracket?

Just for further clarification my van in the 2nd row buckets with the 3rd row bench with fold down console in the middle. So I would prefer someone with the same configuration post - but I am sure interest would be out there for ALL seating options.

I think latch became mandatory in 2003, but not positive.

Thanks everyone :cheers: just don't drive after...
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

danlauer
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: LATCH - baby seat anchors

Post by danlauer »

We make them for a few seat companies. They get welded to the seat frame.

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I put the tether strap all the away around the back, and underneath to the front of the seat. You will see a little slot in the seat frame that you can clip too. Not as good as the Latch thing, but seems to work well enough.

Scott

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

The PO of my van obviously needed it for a child seat as there is now one of the anchors bolted to the floor of my van. Looks like they took the anchor out of a wrecked vehicle and then just bolted it to the floor behind the middle bench seat.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

I can just use the seat belt - but the latch system is slick - cops here in Alberta will fine you big time if you don't have the seats in correctly - either LATCH or seat belt - you cannot use the latch system if you are not equipped with it - otherwise HUGE fine.... so that is why my inquiry - my Mitsu has Latch and is easy to install the baby seat - the van - total PITA - screwing with the seat belt
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

mine had some wierd guides on the base of the front seats, and then the middle buckets and rear bench/buckets (i have an SLT) had little velcro things that attached to the side just below the adjustable headrests which made the seatbelts sit a little lower. i cut the things off the front seats years ago, gave my middle seats to a friend and now just have a stack of the velcro guides in my rear compartments. i dont own any children so they never were needed and the guides up front just seemed to tangle the belts up more than anything.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.