Hello from SW Florida

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Vanutty
I am merely driving my van

Hello from SW Florida

Post by Vanutty »

Just came across this site last night when I was surfing the web on Astros. I wish I would of found it sooner, as I've always loved the style of the vans.

I'll be picking up a 2000 cargo in a couple days that I'll be using for my business.

My father works for a local beer distributor and their selling off the ones they have and replacing with new vans and trucks. Like I said, this will mainly be used as a work van, I own a local wood floor installation company, so it won't be all tricked. Though I do have plans for wheels and tires in the near future, and a nice wrap with pictures of my work on it. Possibly even a little droping. I guess the serious tricking will have to wait until I get an older shorty cargo.

As I said, I have always loved the style of the vans. My second job in life was for a local company called "Happy Times Vans". A conversion company. We would get bone stock cargos in (they even had cardboard seats) and make them fully custom. We would do Fords and Chevys and GMC's, both full size and astros/safaris. This being back in the mid eighties we were getting the shortys, and I just fell in love with the body style. It was my favorite van to work on. To this day, every time I see an Astro, especially a shorty, I just think, "Damn, that van would look sweet with some rims and a little work".

Glad I found this site and others with a passion for the vans. I should of known a site like this did exist, just never tried to find one.

Pics to come in a few days, when I get mine.
2000 Astro

"Coach, how do you feel about your teams execution today?"
- Reporter
/ Tampa Bay Tribune

"I'm all for it."
- Coach John McKay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers '76-'84

wagonmaster
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Hello from SW Florida

Post by wagonmaster »

Welcome aboard! Good folks here.
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Welcome aboard. Where in SW Fla are you? I have firends in Cape Coral and Lehigh (sp) acres
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

peter wrote:Welcome aboard. Where in SW Fla are you? I have firends in Cape Coral and Lehigh (sp) acres
Peter how many times do we have to tell you. They aren't your friends.......................they are people who put up with your nonsense because they don't have any other choice. For cripes sakes you show up on their front steps with a tag attached to your neck that says ...........................Please look after this "boy" he is in need of a few people that will associate with him so he can call them "friends". I am surprised they didn't just tie a bone around your neck and throw you to the dogs. The world would be a much happier place had that been the case.

Don't worry Peter the neighborhood is all patrolled and all the house work and yard work are done. :swords:
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

peter wrote:
Welcome aboard. Where in SW Fla are you? I have firends in Cape Coral and Lehigh (sp) acres

Peter how many times do we have to tell you. They aren't your friends.......................they are people who put up with your nonsense because they don't have any other choice. For cripes sakes you show up on their front steps with a tag attached to your neck that says ...........................Please look after this "boy" he is in need of a few people that will associate with him so he can call them "friends". I am surprised they didn't just tie a bone around your neck and throw you to the dogs. The world would be a much happier place had that been the case.

Don't worry Peter the neighborhood is all patrolled and all the house work and yard work are done.
:muhaha: :muhaha:

Welcome to ASV's,,great folks and all willing to help. :supz:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Welcome! I am partial to the "shorty" style myself. Currently looking for one to trade with my '99.
Wish I had known about this site before I bought my AWD '99 and sold my dear to me '90 shorty.
Would have lifted it and installed a posi rear. I miss that van :cry:
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

Welcome aboard! :cheers:
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

dafrogtoad
I get chills without my van.

Post by dafrogtoad »

"My father works for a local beer distributor and their selling off the ones they have and replacing with new vans and trucks."

Perhaps some folks here would be willing to help your dad dispose of those old vans?
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

"My father works for a local beer distributor and their selling off the ones they have and replacing with new vans and trucks."

Perhaps some folks here would be willing to help your dad dispose of those old vans?
some would be willing to help dispose of the beer too!! :cheers:

welcome!!!

Topic author
Vanutty

Post by Vanutty »

Thanks for the welcomes.

Got the van today. Only it wasn't a cargo. They were all gone. One guy bought seven of them. Oh well, it will work. Plus the bench seat will come in handy for when I have to tote the kids somewhere with it. Man, I never realized how much room there was with the bench seat still in.

It does need a little work on the interior. Carpet is pretty much done. This van was used for draft cleaning and light deliveries. There are also a couple issues with pass window, hood latch, and AC(hopefully just needs charging), nothing I can't figure out myself.....I hope. Doing a search, I found some good tips and fixes, so in the next couple days I'll be tinkering.

I'll try to get a couple pics up by the weekend.

dafrogtoad wrote:
They do have a few left.
2000 Astro

- Reporter
/ Tampa Bay Tribune

"I'm all for it."

Topic author
Vanutty

Post by Vanutty »

Got the van. Here's a pic.

Last edited by Vanutty on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Astro

- Reporter
/ Tampa Bay Tribune

"I'm all for it."

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Well hello and welcome to ASV!!!
Whatever plans you have for the your ride please share with us ... oh and always remember to toss the receipt right away! That way you can honest to say "I dont know!?" when the behalf asks how much you have spent hehe.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"