second row captain's, how are they mounted

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

second row captain's, how are they mounted

Post by blk lt awd »

i've never paid attention to this but the van's that have second row captain's chairs vs. a bench...how are they mounted to the floor...do they bolt in like the fronts or is there extra "cups" for the quick release mechanism on each seat?

i hope that made sense...hahaha..
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: second row captain's, how are they mounted

Post by astrozam »

The ones in my 95 are bolted

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

I can't speak for all of them, but the 2nd row buckets that I just bought today, are bolted down similar to the front seats. I think I recall someone on here saying they are also made with the quick release latches as well. I personally haven't seen seen that configuration, so I don't know.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by midnighthunder89 »

bolted. 99
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

Jim in Indy

Post by Jim in Indy »

Bolted. On mounts similar to the fronts. 1991
Indy, all the horsepower you could ever imagine in one place...
Indianapolis 500, MotoGP, 400 at the Brickyard, NHRA US Nationals.

1991 Safari GT, 'B' motor, factory 4.10's. Original Owner !!!

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I have seen this conversation before. AFAIK, they are all bolted. It would be great to come up with a quick release for them. I thought I trying to do it with a could of rear seats, a little cutting, welding and some new pockets in the floor, but have never actually got around to it. Too many other things to do I guess.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

quick release on seats, sometimes on conversion van seats, but base is bolted to floor still, in the way

the second row was already out of my astro, when I got it, the seats were laying in the back, but its, been over a year and I cant remember what the floor looks like... been burried in astro and rv parts, for most of that time... I hope to empty it out and actually start working on it some time this year.... 8-[
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

so the vans that have the bolted chairs in them do they also have the quick release in the floor under the carpet......just curious....
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Doubtful,I guess you'll have to pull up your carpet and see. :poke:

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

blk lt awd wrote:so the vans that have the bolted chairs in them do they also have the quick release in the floor under the carpet......just curious....
they do not. if the studs are coming up out of the floor there will be no 'quick release' .. not that i have found in my 93, 94 or 99
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

the stock passenger vans that have 2nd row bucket seats . they are bolted through the floor . they have no quick release . the conversion vans have a special seat base with a plate bolted to the floor with a quick release for removal . so if if you want quick release 2nd row seats your gonna have to buy a conversion van or find one in the junk yards & pull the bases out & put them in your van .

heres a shot of the bases in my van .

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I was considering converting my van to the second row captains and fabbing up a quick release and removal method like some of the caravans have. IIRC they use the standard bench seat lock points but have a couple of bars that go between the seats. So in other words shrinking down the bench set base and putting captains chairs on it.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

astrozam wrote:Doubtful,I guess you'll have to pull up your carpet and see. :poke:
i've got a bench in mine so the cups are there as the bench locks into them......

the reason i was asking was because i'm going to be converting the rear two benches into buckets, even though i have the reclining benches, it's still not custom.....now i've thought about using the base for the benches and fabricating a console to go inbetween the buckets......but thought i'd check how the factory ones were put in....also when bolted it would give me a "breeze way" between the middle seats allowing easier access to the rear i'm assuming....plus a little bit more leg room....

however upon removing the middle bench and taking a seat in the rear most one......i kinda like the leg room.....now debating if i should just eliminate the middle ones altogether and turn it into a four seater....maybe use those seats out of the high end lexus' that have the motorized foot rests for the rear most seats.....
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

however upon removing the middle bench and taking a seat in the rear most one......i kinda like the leg room.....now debating if i should just eliminate the middle ones altogether and turn it into a four seater....
That is sorta what I'm going for as well. However, I need the extra room in the back, so I plan to put my rear captains chairs in the middle, but just a little further back to give some more foot room. In between the front a rear chairs, I will be building consoles with drink holders and such. It the bottom of each the consoles, there will be a down firing 10" sub. \:D/
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

afsigma21

Post by afsigma21 »

I have previously owned 2 Astro's

A 91 with the second row buckets
A 95 with Second row Bench.

The buckets are so far superior for comfort, long rides, access, leg room etc.

In my search for another Astro, 2 bench rears are not even considerable. Being able to walk from the passenger front seat, all the way to the back, to reach over the rear bench, to say, a cooler, and back to the front.... Priceless. It just isnt the same with 2 benches.

Also, when we had our Black Lab, she curled up right in the middle of all 4 buckets, but with the benches, she could never figure out where to go. Seems small, but really became a big deal on those long drives with 2 kids + dog! (Rear bench removed for camping gear!)

I did not really lend anything to mounting captains, but to me, it seems expensive to buy the seats to mount, the actual welding some bolts in does not seem to big of a deal.