v8 ride quality?

Topic author
s10-den
I finally get the smurf thing

v8 ride quality?

Post by s10-den »

Hey v8 guys, how does the astro ride with the weight of the v8 sitting there?Now Being somewhat of a v8 s10 master, I know if you use aluminum heads,water pump, intake,it weighs a few pounds lighter than the original 4.3
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: v8 ride quality?

Post by GEJ »

Naw-it about only 150 lbs more.If it really bothers ya,you could put in 2" lift springs from Overlands.(look at the links section for a link)For Ole Yellar I started with thinking about a 2" lift and have had that plan grow to a 4" lift with lift blocks which is a RWD Astro.Might want to consider going to steel rear springs to replace the fiber ones too.You could get er all done while you do the V8 swap via sub frame.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I've had several Astro and Safari conversions before doing a 350 swap a few years back and to me it rides and drives much better with the additional weight. I really didn't see that much difference in ride height. Might have dropped an inch or so but not much. Seems to respond better in the steering and felt like it was glued to the road better.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Den, I measured the front bumper height before and after I did the 305 swap in my 89. The bumper was down one inch when I was finished with the install. The 305 has stock iron heads, an iron water pump, and stock iron exhaust manifolds. I've noticed no affect in the steering or handling either.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by ScottS »

I was thinking the L33 weighs less than the 4.3 ?
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD