Arrrgh! Junked Safari...

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Arrrgh! Junked Safari...

Post by SafariRob »

So I'm out in the junkyard today checking for new additions; yep, there's a new one sitting there. It's 93 extended body Safari and as I get closer, my blood pressure starts to rise.
The body is straight and rust free. Glass is good. The interior shows wear, but is in good shape; even the headliner is still up tight against the ceiling. Painted on the driver's fender in yellow paint marker is "Good engine & good transmission". In fact, a junkyard worker drove the van back to where it is sitting. Tires are good.

Okay, so why is it people junk these vans that are in better shape than what I'm driving?
Man, I'm getting a complex.

Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Maybe it is a sign you should get one of those junkers complete :)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Jim, I had to fight the urge to see how much the 'yard wanted for that Safari...I sure don't need another M van, but my packrat nature went into high gear when I saw it.
What made it easier to walk away from was the fact that parts cannibalization had begun, and some of the removals were done with a heavy hand. Also, buying it now would mean a salvage title and getting it back on the road requires an inspection. The nearest place for that is in Findley, Ohio. All in all, I've got enough to do with my 89.
And yet...
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

that's the way it goes..

any chance you can grab me the fog lights rob??
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Crash, Justice already asked for them. I'm going out there to see if the 'yard wants to sell them. One of the owners has an Astro and has first dibs on parts, as you can imagine.
I once pulled a hitch off an Astro, went to the office to pay for it, and was told it wasn't for sale!
Rob Shaver

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

not a problem... thanks
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

That is how I found my 94 Astro. Junkyard, no rust, almost all the glass installed (the slider was out but laying in the middle seat. Engine needed a new fuel line. She runs great. Although it did need new brakes all the way around.
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

You see, this is what we call a "heartbreak car" eg. a car that's in better shape then the one you're working on!

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Was back out to the junkyard today and ask the owner more about the Safari. Seems the owner drove it to a store about 30 miles away and the driver's side idler arm broke off. That was it, he was finished with it and called the junkyard to come and get it. The 'yard owner actually drove it the 30 miles to his 'yard--steering was a bit spooky with the idler arm swinging free, but it wasn't a real problem. Drove back to the Astro section and shut it off--didn't even raise the driver and passenger windows. Yanked the good battery and that was it.
The Safari recently had a rebuilt engine and transmission installed, so said the original owner. I guess he thought it wasn't worth any extra money for idler arm repairs. The original owner waited for the junkyard guy to show up, grabbed a few items from the van and walked away.

By the way, the fog lights are trashed--both are sealed beam units and are cracked.
Rob Shaver

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

Thanks for checking on the lights Rob, someone may still want that air dam with the fog light access and the fog light mounts should still be usable, ya think?

I already have the mounts..just need to put some lights in them somehow.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrosafari »

should have asked for a price... incase i go to a yard and see some thing i like...
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Justice, the fog light dam isn't much good either. It's been bounced off too many curbstones and is barely hanging on. Mega cracked, to be sure.
It's obvious that this van wasn't taken care of by the original owner. I pulled the dipstick and the oil is gross--on a rebuilt engine, no less. You'd have thought that trashing one engine would've taught a lesson about maintenance.
It's a good thing I wasn't in that parking lot when the original owner wanted rid of it; I would have bought it, no matter that I don't need another one.
Rob Shaver

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

[quote="SafariRob"]Jim, I had to fight the urge to see how much the 'yard wanted for that Safari...I sure don't need another M van....

Not to mention the fact that divorce law in Ohio dictates that Robby would end up having to give half of all his Astro's and Safaris to his wife anyways... \:D/
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Peter, ain't that the truth.
Then again, she'd probably get the house and I'd get both vans--the idea being that I'd live in one!
Along that line, I'm waiting to hear that Lockdoc has made one of his vans into a doghouse for his pooches.
Rob Shaver

bluevette87
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by bluevette87 »

SafariRob wrote:The nearest place for that is in Findley, Ohio.
it's Findlay and thats where i live,look me up if you are ever in town :partyman:
Tim NW Ohio

94 Chevy Astro
8th digit (Z)
chariot conversion